Slim In 6 vs Insanity

hrcfitness

Cathlete
Has anyone ever used the Slim in 6 series...I just sat through an infomercial and I have to say I'm intrigued...but I'm doing Insantiy now and I'm thinking would Slim in 6 be worth it? She talks a ton about Slimming your hips and that is my major body issue, so I'm thinking about trying it....although I do have STS Cardio on the way when it's ready.
Thanks
Elena

i think i read in another thread someone mentioned getting good results using slim in 6. i have it but it's sooooo boring that it is hard to get through the 6 weeks. i couldn't take it after one week and stopped, horrible music too. if you can get past the boredom and music, i think you will see results.

Slim in 6 is more of a low-to-mid intermediate program. It only has 3 workouts, each of which they say to do for 2 weeks (IIRC). Slim Series, which has more variety, is more advanced.

The music is rather mediocre, BUT there is a 'no music' option, and since the moves are not complicated, and Debbie (the instructor) doesn't always follow the exact beat anyway, it's easy to put on your own music (anything from around 136 bpm to 145 bpm works) and just follow the beat of that, doing each move for as long as they do. I have a Powerstrike CD that works perfectly for it.

Also, I've heard that there is a newer version of Slim in 6, and one of the changes may be better music.

I never did Slim in 6 but I did have Slim Series. I did one complete rotation and swore never again. I thought I would expire from boredom and it developed such a dread factor I had to trade it away just to get it off the shelf. A pity really as I felt it could be effective but just not something I could ever do again.

I agree with what the others have said about the boredom factor. I do pull these out every once in a while just to change things up, and they're fun to do then. But it's the same workout all the time, the music sucks, and it's really just not my type of workout. I haven't tried the slim series, but I've also heard they're more advanced and better. Something to check out!

I did Slim in 6 years ago but now have the Slim Series. If you are going to buy one, get Slim Series. It's the more advanced option. I agree about the music. Horrid. I use the music off option. They can also be extremely boring but I've used them twice now in month long rotations and got great results! The 2nd time which was just last month the work outs even began to grow on me. I was truly enjoying myself and the time was flying by for the most part!

So all in all, if you can withstand the negatives, I think SS is definitely worth a shot!

ITA--boring. I have SIS and SS. I am doing a quickie "rotation" of these with YBB just to get back into the swing of working out while recovering from knee surgery. They are low impact, but lots of lunges and plies, which I just modify. My rotation basically consists of alternating the two programs until I run through the dvds. I'm not repeating anything, because I'm not a big fan. I'm just getting myself ready for step-less Firm, then moving back to step-less Cathe, TLT, and KCM.

Hi Elena!
I guess I am out of the "norm" on this series because I enjoyed it tremendously! Maybe it's because I got such great results. :) I didn't even pay attention to the music because I was focusing on the moves, but I know it's not something I would willingly listen to when I'm working out though. Like Kathryn said, there is a "no music" option. It can get boring because you are doing the same workout everyday, but I didn't mind it and the time seemed to fly by for me. There are pros and cons like with every program, but the bottom line is that I stuck to it and lost weight and several inches.

I didn't take measurements but I had been stuck at the same weight for over a year, wearing a size 7 (depending on the style), and after this series I lost 5-6 lbs and got back very comfortably into my size 4's. I could not believe the drastic loss of inches in my waist/hips. It might not work that way for everyone, but it sure did for me!

Oh, and I also walked my dog 4-5 times per week while doing the program. You're supposed to do the program 6x per week, but I only did 5x per week, sometimes 4. I did get a little antsy by week 6 because I was itching to do other stuff. But all in all, it was well worth it for me!!

Good luck and I hope this helps! :)

Hi Elena!
I guess I am out of the "norm" on this series because I enjoyed it tremendously! Maybe it's because I got such great results. :) I didn't even pay attention to the music because I was focusing on the moves, but I know it's not something I would willingly listen to when I'm working out though. Like Kathryn said, there is a "no music" option. It can get boring because you are doing the same workout everyday, but I didn't mind it and the time seemed to fly by for me. There are pros and cons like with every program, but the bottom line is that I stuck to it and lost weight and several inches.

I didn't take measurements but I had been stuck at the same weight for over a year, wearing a size 7 (depending on the style), and after this series I lost 5-6 lbs and got back very comfortably into my size 4's. I could not believe the drastic loss of inches in my waist/hips. It might not work that way for everyone, but it sure did for me!

Oh, and I also walked my dog 4-5 times per week while doing the program. You're supposed to do the program 6x per week, but I only did 5x per week, sometimes 4. I did get a little antsy by week 6 because I was itching to do other stuff. But all in all, it was well worth it for me!!

Good luck and I hope this helps! :)

How nice to "meet" someone who actually enjoyed this series too! It appears neither one of us are "normal"! ;):D

I did a modified version of SS for a week or so while doing my Insanity rotation. It was a great mix but very time consuming. I will definitely be going back to SS at some point in the future though! :)

I agree that SI6 can be boring. I love the results though. I'm actually in the new informercial that's airing right now. I had great results with the program and they used me as one of their success stories. You can use your own music cause the music is REALLY boring. That does help. It does wonders for the lower body. I have to say though that my all time favorite program is Slim Series. I did a rotation of that and got great results. I always go back to it. You'll never outgrow it. I will also mix it with some of Cathe's heavier stuff. It's a great mix.

i know slim series is meant to be done everyday but do you think that it would be a complete waste of time to only do it 3 times per week and do some straight cardio inbetween?

i know slim series is meant to be done everyday but do you think that it would be a complete waste of time to only do it 3 times per week and do some straight cardio inbetween?
Actually, I think that's a better way of doing it, to avoid overuse injuries.
Slim Series 3-4 times a week it plenty, IMO.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.