sleeping problems-help!

sham

I am having great difficulty staying asleep.
I fall asleep and sleep for 3 hours and then find myself
wide awake.
Does anyone have any suggestions that may help?

Thanks in advance,
Sham

There are two natural remedies you could try: melatonin (which is also a powerful antioxidant) or valerian. A cup of camomile tea (but not too much, so you have to get up in the middle of the night!) can also calm you down, as well as taking calcium before bedtime.

Actually, all these remedies work to help people get to sleep. I also have problems with waking up at some ungodly hour (4:00 usually) and not being able to get back to sleep until much later, then having to wake up again shortly thereafter. I notice it happening more when I'm under stress.

What time do you exercise? Maybe doing it later in the day would help?

Hi Sham:

are you currently taking any over the ccounter remedies?

For example, I can no longer take Sudafed because it does exactly this to me, wide awake in the wee hours for several nights on end.

If you are taking anything, that could be what's causing it.

Any sources of stress? What are you worried about right now? Are you eating late or working out too late: these can have an effect upon sleeping patterns.

Clare

Not that I know of, but since it is a human hormone, it may be bad to take it for years. Who knows?

I keep a melatonin tablet on my alarm clock and if I wake up I nibble the tiniest piece off of it and then go to sleep. I don't do this if I wake up at 5:30 or later though, as it's too close to my normal wake-up time (7 am).

Skullcap is another good herb to help you sleep.

And you may find it necessary to avoid caffeine completely.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.