Sit-up questions

Jul

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and Everyone!
As I was doing sit-ups this morning, I wondered if it matters where and how I place my legs. I notice that as I shift their position closer and farther away from my body that I can feel it in my upper or lower abs better. Also, does it matter if my legs are together or apart? What is the most effective position for sit-ups? Also, are daily abs too much or should I skip a day in between? Thanks!

Hi Jul!

I am hardly the Ab Queen of the World but I do know one small relevant fact that has been really helpful to me! If you put your feet close together then let your knees drop apart to the floor (or as close as they naturally go), so you're in sort of a "swimming frog" position, you'll REALLY target those lower abs! I read that in a fitness book by Kathy Kaehler and when I tried it I was amazed. I do some crunches with my knees up, then I drop them out and feel it in a TOTALLY different way! My C-section scar really burns, which tells me I'm targetting my lower abs really effectively. I love it when I can feel that! THAT is where I need to work it!

It does work!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-00 AT 08:17AM (EST)</font></center>

I put my legs into this position this a.m. and I could feel it. How often is enough abs? On Abs of Steel, Tammilee Webb states that if you overwork abs, they can become larger as the muscles get larger. Am I correct in my understanding that this can happen? YIKES! I don't want that to happen!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.