Silicon Implants-how long has it been for you?

Nobuko

Cathlete
I just read an article that the most of silicon implants break within 10 yrs. Does it mean we have to replace them every 10 or less yrs for the rest of our lives if to choose to keep them? How long has it been for you since you've had your surgery?

You do not have to replace implants at all if there is nothing wrong with them unless you CHOOSE to for reasons such as choosing a different size, shape, implant type, etc. Some will certainly rupture in 10 years or less but I have never read in all of my research that MOST implants rupture that quickly.

HTH :)

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

My plastic surgeon made certain I knew before I had reconstruction that ALL implants have the potential to "rupture". The AVERAGE lifespan of an implant is ten years. Some last longer, some last less. Some are just totally rejected by the body and need removed after a few months (this is not the norm). I had surgery four years ago and my right implant is "flatter" already. I have no desire to go through the surgery again right now though. I'll wait.

My friend has had hers for 20 years...yep, you read that right, 20 years. She's looking to replace now but was told by several different ps docs that if she's doing fine, why mess with them. She's only looking to replace when they ok silicon again because one is out of the pocket and uncomfortable.

Sue <><

I am not up on the whole silicone vs saline...implant. Is their a differenc? What the deal? Just wondering...deb:)

Hi Deb.

Silicone is closer in feel to a natural breast than saline but with all of the hype about a silicone leak being dangerous, they made the saline implant which is supposed to do no harm if it leaks.

They have a new silicone implant out now though. (I believe you still have to qualify for the study to get it though)This one is silicone GEL so that even if the implant ruptures, the silicone will not leak out into your body as it is a solid as opposed to a liquid. I had considered going larger about a year ago and my doc had suggested I go with this new silicone implant if I decided to do it. I would quailify for the study based on the fact that I would be having a re-do. I have saline currently.

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

The problem with the silicone is that if the breast ruptures, you could have silicone coming out of your ears...literally. In this weeks US News and World report, they discussed a couple of women that this actually happened to....coming out of their eyes and ears. One women has paralysis because there is some silicone lodged in her brain.

They're approving the silicone but whoever decides to go with this form of breast implant has to sign a waiver they are informed of what could happen if the silicone gets into their system.

>My plastic surgeon made certain I knew before I had
>reconstruction that ALL implants have the potential to
>"rupture". The AVERAGE lifespan of an implant is ten years.
>Some last longer, some last less. Some are just totally
>rejected by the body and need removed after a few months (this
>is not the norm). I had surgery four years ago and my right
>implant is "flatter" already. I have no desire to go through
>the surgery again right now though. I'll wait.

EXACTLY what my surgeon said. He is also of the opinion that saline ruptures more often than silicone. Not to say saline always ruptures or has a high rupture rate, but the rate is higher than for silicone. I've had both. My saline ruptured after almost 5 years. I've had silicone now for about 5 1/2 or 6 years.

Colleen

>My friend has had hers for 20 years...yep, you read that
>right, 20 years. She's looking to replace now but was told by
>several different ps docs that if she's doing fine, why mess
>with them. She's only looking to replace when they ok silicon
>again because one is out of the pocket and uncomfortable.
>
>Sue <><

I believe your friend should qualify for silicone already. My dr. told me that to qualify I had to have already had silicone. I originally had silicone, switched to saline, hated it and one ruptured and went back to silicone. This was six years ago but she may want to double check with her dr. to see if she qualifies already.

Colleen

Thanks for that information...I did a quick google when I first found this thread and it appears that she would qualify. She'll like this since she wasn't willing to go with saline.

Sue <><

I have had mine (silicone)for roughly 5 years. I qualified for silicone since I was having the twins lifted. So far so good.
booboo39

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.