*sigh* static lunges-WHAT am i doing wrong??

xxx_dana_xxx

Cathlete
ok, about 4-5 months into working out with cathe now, after a year+ of "the firm. im almost up to speed with all the weights and exercises but static lunges are still impossible. my back leg's calf hurts SO bad i have to stop.

the only way i can do them is to keep my back leg straight with my heel all the way down on the floor and lift myself up and down on my front leg. is this problematic? thanks in advance for any advice

dana :)

Dana-
Good work on getting up to speed with Cathe so quickly!! I'm in the same boat as you, only I've been using her weight videos for maybe 2 months.
The only thing I can think of with the static lunges is that maybe you are putting too much weight on your back foot? When I do them, I try to keep as little weight on my back leg and foot as possible, only using it for balance.
Hopefully the more experienced Catheites will get back from the roadtrip soon and help you out!!

> the only way i can do them is to keep my back leg straight
>with my heel all the way down on the floor and lift myself up
>and down on my front leg. is this problematic? thanks in
>advance for any advice
>
>

Hi, Dana!
I can't see how you get a good range of motion doing it this way. And I would also worry about overstretching the achilles tendon (on the back of the foot).

Have you tried both keeping the back leg straight (on toes) and bending it to about 90 degrees? Maybe changing the position of the back leg that way would help.

I've had calf pain like this from time to time during lunges. I usually just push through as long as I can with good form, take a short break (the time of one rep) and start in again. It may just take time for the body to get used to it.

Another way I do lunges is with the front foot on the 4" platform of my step or high step. It allows me to get down below the level of the glutes without stressing the knee, and also to push more through the front heel. You might try this and see if it helps.

Stretching your calves more (after warming up and after workouts) may help as well.

Hi Dana,

Another option is to put your back foot on your step. Sometimes the elevation of the back foot alleviates the stress on your calf.

Diana

thanks so much for the suggestions, ive tried the front leg on the step, but never the back--we'll see if that helps when i work out tonight! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.