Shoulder Definition

mabdoo

Cathlete
How do I get more definition in my shoulders? I want that cap like look over my shoulders where you can see the difference between the shoulder muscles and the biceps. I have been doing GS and PUB for years and nothing is doing it. Any suggestions?

Maybe its genetics? I remember first developing those caps on my shoulder when I was doing the firm tough tape 2 every other day. I noticed the change after only 3 weeks. My shoulders and arms do develop muscle pretty fast. Also, kickboxing with weighted gloves helped my shoulders a lot.

Genetics may have decided against that for you.

I will never have any arm definition. It's just not in my build. I've done every type of workout that there is, combined with eating clean, etc....
It's just not the cards for me, no matter how heavy or frequently I lift. My arms are like Brenda's in terms of size and shape, but flabbier depsite my best efforts.

Sorry to bear the bad news. You may not get it. :(

I'm also one who just sort of looks big without definition, but one thing I found that helped my shoulders look a bit more defined is working on my upper back muscles and having better posture! Honestly, the thing that helped the most was not weights, but doing things like Ellen Barrett, Tracie Long, and a couple of exercises recommended by my chiropractor. And then being super conscious of pulling my shoulders back and down..... all the time!!! I also just read last night in one of Jillian's books that for shoulder definition you might want to ease off on chest work because you end can end up with more rounded shoulders that way.

How do I get more definition in my shoulders? I want that cap like look over my shoulders where you can see the difference between the shoulder muscles and the biceps. I have been doing GS and PUB for years and nothing is doing it. Any suggestions?

Ah this is my favorite body part to train! There's something about having a good set of delts that gives the body a nice silhouette........anyway, I don't know what's in GS & PUB, but I've been training shoulders pretty hard over the years & I can give you my routine. I've gotten decent results w/it, other than rear delts, & Cathe's helped w/that. ;)

I start w/a few WU sets of military presses. All exercises are 3 sets 8-10 reps. When I can do 3 sets of 10 I increase the weight by 2.5 lbs. On occasion I'll go much heavier & just do 3 sets 6 for 4 weeks or so, then go back to sets of 8-10.

Military press (works full delt)
Alternating front raises (works front delt)
Lateral side raises (works side delt)
Superset bentover raises & rear squeezes (works rear delt)

I do try to shake up the routine every couple of weeks--the process (working full, front, side, rear) stays the same, but I try to vary the exercises periodically.

And here's a link to some info Cathe gave me re. working rear delts, which have always been a trouble spot for me:
http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275735

Just did Slow & Heavy Legs & Shoulders - if you have that DVD it was a killer workout for the shoulders. Like LauraMax mentioned - the exercises are a little different angle with a different count than most of the others I usually do.

Funny you should post this question now. I have spent the last week thinking about this very issue, and actually know exactly what will give you that look. However…I don’t know if you will like the answer!

You know that scene in The Karate Kid where Mr. Miyagi makes Ralph Macchio do all that “wax on, wax off” stuff? Yeah. It actually works.

I do a fair amount of upper-body work, including boxing with weighted gloves, but the only thing that has ever really given me truly awesome definition in the shoulders has been the two times in my life that I have had to spend 4-5 hours a day, for days on end, sanding the outside of my house. In my admittedly limited experience, the definition begins to show after about 3 days, and is pretty awesome after a week.

Maybe someone here will know of a workout that mimics that activity (holding a 2-3 lb. orbital sander out to the side at shoulder height, while pressing it forward against the surface of a wall, for a long, long, long, long time). Perhaps something along the lines of Tonique, but for the arms rather than the legs and butt?

Or you could get a job as a housepainter. :)

I agree on the kickboxing with weighted gloves. I swear by it for that and for my abs! :D

Which weighted gloves? the ones with zippers that cathe uses?
I'm thinking about adding this to my routine. sounds like just what i need. What is your favorite kickbox workout?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I do notice that I am sometimes sore in the shoulders after a kickboxing workout so I need to do those more often. I am not a huge fan of it but will have to be now.

LauraMax, thanks for posting the link to Cathe's workout. I will do that for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I don't go to a gym but I think I can modify the cable workouts by incorporating bands.

I like Laura's suggestion for sure. I think her routine is very similar to mine actually. Ever try upright rows? I like those too but I rotate those in and out of my routine, substituting those for the front and side raises.
Goodluck!
Trevor

Which weighted gloves? the ones with zippers that cathe uses?
I'm thinking about adding this to my routine. sounds like just what i need. What is your favorite kickbox workout?

Hi Wendy.

Yes, I use Cathe's 1 pound weighted gloves and they work perfectly. I want to buy the new 2# gloves too but I think they may be too heavy to use with k/b. Hard to pick a fave k/b routine. I really enjoy MMA: Boxing and 4DS K/B. I also love the oldie but goodie: KPC. Aw heck they are all good! :D
I just did KenpoX this morning with the gloves on. WOW! I was never a huge fan of that work out because the cardio factor is weak at best but what a work out with the gloves on! I couldn't make it through the first segment of punching. I had to take them off early and give the shoulders a rest! Good stuff!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.