Should I become a personal trainer?

wendybdh

Cathlete
Recently my employers offered to pay for me to become a personal trainer. (FYI-I'm a dental hygienist so it isn't like I already work in the fitness industry) There is a NETA weekend workshop in my area on December 5-6. To be honest, I want this more for personal reasons and "just to have it". I really don't know how much personal training I would want to do beyond my friends and family. Should I still do it? Any opinions?

Absolutely! Don't you think you'll kick yourself years from now if you didn't take advantage of a free opportunity to learn more about something you love?? Who knows where it will lead? Just go for it. :)

Isn't that one of those life adages: "We regret more what we didn't do rather than what we did."

I say go for it. I had an opportunity to be the instructor for that NETA workshop that weekend. I was so bummed that I got the message 5 minutes too late. Anyway, I believe knowledge is power and if your employer is willing to pay for it go for it.

As an instructor for that class let me give you a couple of pieces of advice. The weekend is long and mentally taxing. It is amazing how difficult it can be to sit in one place and concentrate for so long. So being forewarned can be helpful. Also, the more studying you can do in advance the better. The manual is a dense read so having read it a time or two is really helpful.

If you are interested enough in the topic to be on this site you will probably find the information fascinating though and find it really useful for yourself, not just in helping others. If you have any other questions that I can answer feel free to PM me.

Shayne

Recently my employers offered to pay for me to become a personal trainer. (FYI-I'm a dental hygienist so it isn't like I already work in the fitness industry) There is a NETA weekend workshop in my area on December 5-6. To be honest, I want this more for personal reasons and "just to have it". I really don't know how much personal training I would want to do beyond my friends and family. Should I still do it? Any opinions?

Hi Wendy!

I agree that having the opportunity for education and certification, especially if it is free, is just that...a great opportunity. But it also sounds like there is hesitation in your voice and that you are not sure it is the right thing for you.

You obviously have a family and that is maybe what is factoring in to your decision? But I can offer you this. I wanted to certify to be a personal trainer a couple of years ago. I had been a teacher working very nice, stable hours (with summers off) for many years. When I found out that, as a new trainer, your main goal was building up clientele...which meant working the hours your clients could come in (before 8:00 and after 5:00), I rethought my decision. I took a job at Equinox for a summer between school years and learned that the trainers were up at the crack of dawn and going home at 10:00 at night...with lots of down time during the day.

Sooo...being a personal trainer would mean very different hours than your work at the dentist's office. And if you mean you want to add it as a second job, it would mean a lot of long hours.

Having said that...the more experienced and well-known trainers get to set their own schedules. Or teach group exercise classes...which take place during the day.

In any event, it never hurts to seize an opportunity to have the certification. But I, for one, don't believe in missed opportunities...I think it will happen when the time is right for you. All the best! Please keep us informed!

Wendy, definitely go for it!! That is so great that your employer will pay for your cert, so you might as well grab this opp while it lasts!

To add to what Elizabeth said, you could also work PT as a trainer and keep your current job. This way, you don't really have to work the crazy long hours if it doesn't comply with your schedule. You could start out with friends, family, & perhaps coworkers and build your base from there. Since this wouldn't be your sole paycheck, you don't have to adhere to mornings before 5 through 10 o'clock evenings to make ends meet. And when you get enough clients to eventually quit your dental hygenist job (if that's what you want), then you can worry about the long hours or even make your own schedule.

I have a lot on my plate now what with going for my MBA and working full-time, but once I finish school I plan to do the PT trainer idea!!

Wendy,

I am currently a personal trainer - certified through both the IFPA and ACE. I have had my certifications for more than 8 years now. If you are interested go for it, the knowledge will never be wasted...

However, bear in mind that if you want to keep you certifications current, it will more than likely cost you several hundred dollars per year for study programs and testing fees.

Usually certifiying agencies give you a pass for two years before you have to do your continuing education credits.

Good luck,
Debbie Russo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.