Should I add more weight?

lorab

Hope this doesn't sound vain but I'm trying to work on impoving the looks of this old bod. Been on a 1,200 cal. diet for 6 weeks to try and loose 5-10# mostly on thighs, hips, and around the waist. I ran all last year trying to get rid of cellulite on thights with no luck. So I cleaned up my diet and am trying to loose body fat with low cal. and cardio workouts. I don't do too heavy of a weight workout. Use the Firms Cross Trainer video. But what's happening is my upper body is getting really skinny. Too much so that I'm thinking about adding more calories back. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong or what I should add to my workout to get this off. My body fat is about 17% I'm 5'8' 135# and I'm 50. I carry it all around the middle and can't get rid of that darn cellulite. I have a feeling I should be lifting heavy weights so wonder if Leaner Legs would do the trick and something to target the middle body. Lora

RE: Some pointed and concerned opinions:

Hi, Lora! Welcome to the gang! I hope you'll take this in the spirit of informed concern in which it is intended:

1. You are eating far too little. 1200 kcalories per day is barely enough to keep your systems fuelled even absent any workout, so you are probably in starvation mode. Yes, you do need to increase your kcalorie consumption, with attention to eating healthy, nutritious foods that include complex carbs, fruits/veggies, lean proteins and enough fat;

2. 17% body fat is underneath the generally recognized healthy body fat percentage for women; a healthy range is more like 18% - 24%;

3. You cannot spot-reduce, or spot-lose fat around one particular body area or part. Your body is genetically programmed to store fat in a certain way, and all the spot exercises in the world are not going to change that.

4. YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE HERE ON THIS FORUM! You absolutely do need to add in a comprehensive, total-body strength training program, that builds muscle mass for all of your muscle groups, not just your legs. Not only for functional fitness (i.e. muscles for human movement) but also for maintaining bone density, which is compromised as we get older (especially women);

5. CATHE VIDEOS TO THE RESCUE! The Pure Strength Series, the Slow and Heavy Series, Maximum Intensity Stength (MIS), Power Hour (PH), and the Cross-Train Express series (CTX) all offer high-quality strength training programs in various durations and emphases. YOUR INSTINCTS ARE CORRECT: Heavy lifting is what you want to work toward!

6. LET US SPEND YOUR MONEY FOR YOU! Perhaps others can chime in and suggest what strength workouts they prefer and why. A good balance of cardio, strength and flexibility training is what you need, and you can find it here, as well as a wealth of practical opinions and encouragement!

Again, welcome to the gang!

Annette

If I were you, I would definitely add heavier weight lifting to my routine. I have found that heavy weights changed my body for the better more than anything I've tried. Have you ever noticed how skinny marathon runners are in the upper body? Maybe that is what is happening to you with so much cardio work.

Over the last few months, since I added Cathe's S&H and upped my weight training time each week (rather than cardio), I have added a little bit of muscle to my upper body, and improved the look of my core and lower body. I, like you, am tall and thin. I am 42 years old and look better than I did at 22 (although my skin isn't as pretty as it was before two babies and 20 years of wear!).

Maybe you should start by adding Power Hour or MIS twice a week, and gradually work your way up to more serious lifting with Pure Strength and S&H. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Sandi M

RE: P.S.: Weight-lifting is FUN!

I too upped my weight-lifting a couple of years ago from one session per week to 2-3 longer sessions per week, and I gotta tell you I absolutely love it! Not just the increased muscle mass and shape, not just the unbelievably increased energy (and increased power capacities during my cardio work as well) that lifting and muscle-mass increases produce, but the actual rituals themselves.

Many people think I'm nuts (well, that's probably true), but I so look forward to my strength training sessions; it's a way to kick out all of the other competing cares and concerns in my daily life and focus on ME. I think you'll find that too.

Annette
:):):):):)

RE: P.S.: Weight-lifting is FUN!

Annette, your advice was so great here (you also cracked me up in your first post--the last couple of comments!:)

I love the changes in my body from weight lifting. Before I was just skinny, now I have muscle tone--what a difference! I would really recommend the weight training, especially heavy weight training--it makes the biggest difference (or at least it did for me--everyone is different!)

Besides the nice physical changes there are other advantages to weight training: Today my husband was expecting a friend of his to come by and help him take the "cap" off his pickup truck. It turned out that his friend couldn't make it, so I said, "I can help you!" And guess what? I did it! What a thrill. That truck cap was really heavy and before I lifted weights I never would have dreamed of even trying to attempt to help him remove it. I think it was part strength, part confidence in myself from weight lifting.

Weight lifting is one of the best things you can do for yourself, in so many ways.

Denise

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.