Short story suggestions

jillybean

Cathlete
Hi all Cathe readers! My book group has been downsized to a short story/poetry group. I need suggestions for intriguing, well written short stories. I picke first, and chose Shirley Jackson's The Lottery, but I will need another pick in just a few weeks. I am a fan of Alice Munro, Chekov, and Raymond Carver when it comes to this genre, but that's where my knowledge ends. Any and all ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!

I wish I could be of more help but EXCELLENT choice with The Lottery - it is such a well written story. I will ask my DH when he gets home as his memory is so much better than mine:) So I will get back to you if I find out anything.

Wendy

Ellen Gilchrist comes to mind. I love her collection of short stories called "Drunk with Love". I also loved her "Rhoda" series.

Fabulous writer, sophisticated, but not difficult to read.

Lori

JillyBean, I don't know if this is of interest, but there are a lot of great classic short stories by authors like Leo Tolstoy. I'm not familiar with many of our contemporary authors that write short stories. But that might be another avenue for you to explore. Just a suggestion.

Jo

Some of the short stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald are unbelievable:

"Bernice Bobs Her Hair"

"The Diamond As Big As The Ritz"

"May Day"

"I Didn't Get Over" (I have this on audiotape, read by my lifelong heartthrob Sam Waterston)

I have a great paperback collection of F. Scott's short fiction.

Also, you can't go wrong with the short stories of John Cheever; I have these in a paperback collection as well.

Also, in John Irving's classic novel "The World According To Garp", there is a short story contained within it "The Pension Grillparzer" which not only is one of the cornerstone themes of the novel but also stands on its own as a piece of short fiction.

And believe it or not, "Quitters Inc." by Stephen King (I think the collection I found this story in was "Night Shift") is pretty good melodrama.

There's more. Ann Beatty is a great short story writer as well; I have one of her SS's "Cards" on audiotape read by Julie Harris.

A-Jock

Another option is James Joyce's Araby. I haven't read this one in a while so I don't remember how long this one is but you could also read Sophocles' Oedipus. Poetry....I have PLENTY of suggestions. Let me know if you'd like more suggestions.

Have fun!

"Take the Cannoli: Stories From the New World" by Sarah Vowell. This is really an autobiography, but it's an entertaining read.

Here's one for the holidays!! }( }( "The Santaland Diaries" by David Sedaris - this whole book is a quick and hysterical read.

One of our local NPR radio stations airs a great show every Sunday morning called "Selected Shorts". The format is actors reading short stories - new and classic. Here's a link this season's readings:

http://www.symphonyspace.org/genres/shorts_static.php?id=31

Their list might be helpful.

Eudora Welty's

Why I live at the Post Office

This story inspired the name EUDORA for the popular email program

Dave

I read Wyoming Stories by E. Annie Proulx while traveling out west recently. All of the stories in that book are really good and definitely fodder for discussion. You might also try Best American Short Stories of the Century, edited by John Updike.

The Best American Short Stories is another good option. My DH and I have a big collection of books. If I run across some more, I'll post more.

Hi, Jillybean:
My son just turned me on to H.P. Lovecraft. He reminds me of Poe in writing style and creepiness. Might have been more timely last month, but still fascinating.
--Ann

The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr is a collection of short stories that won the Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers Award a couple of years ago.

Edited to add: Cowboys Are My Weakness by Pam Houston is another great collection, as is the Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank.

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. It's a collection of short stories written by an Indian-American novelist and I think it gives a great insight into the culture of Indians (India, not Native Americans). She wrote a wonderful novel called The Namesake after this.

Other than that, my short stories are usually written by Stephen King. I know, I know...but I just love to get scared.

Sophocles' Oedipus?!? WOW! Now that one is some heavy reading! A great story, no doubt, but it takes a lot of concentration.

If you're willing to get heavy-duty, how about some Shakespeare? A Midsummer Night's Dream is great, once you break the "language barrier". Also Taming of the Shrew. A hilarious story that I just love.

My favorite by Chekhov is Ward 6. It's not one of his best known stories and it can be a little difficult to track down, but it's worth any trouble it takes. Also, be sure to check out The Best Short Stories of "YEAR." This is published every year and includes some well-known and some not-so-well-known contemporary writers. There are always good stories in there, and best of all, you get to read a lot while searching for the one that is just right.

Shari

Ooh, ooh, and don't forget Conrad's Heart of Darkness. I read that one as a college freshman and again as a grad student. It was even better the second time.

Also:

"Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes (the short story, NOT the bloated novel that Keyes converted it into!)

"A Good Man Is Hard To Find"

"The Small Assassin" by Ray Bradbury

"The Ballad of the Sad Cafe' " by Carson McCullers (this one's seriously weird)

A-Jock

I also have read Cowboys are my Weakness and Girls Guide to fishing and Hunting--I loved them!! I love, love, love Pam Houston.

I also have greatest american short stories-that is a good one too.

Lori

A few more! Flannery O'Connor's "Revelation" is great (and a good place to start with FO). I enjoyed the new author ZZ Packer's debut book of short stories DRINKING COFFEE ELSEWHERE, now out in paperback. DR. JEKYL AND MR. HYDE is a novella that is worth re-reading and discussing. Sue Miller, "Inventing the Abbotts" is interesting.

Shakespeare is considered a play so I don't know if Jillybean would want to do that. Those comedies you mentioned are funny although I prefer tragedy and romance. Hamlet is my most fav. play of 'Speare. I will post more. I have to run. Nice to see someone else appreciate Shakespeare!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.