Shoe advice anyone?

spottyd

Cathlete
I just got my CTX tapes in the mail yesterday and started with Step & Intervals. During the workout, I noticed that my toes were going numb - kind of tingly all over. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand of sneaker works best for them??? I know my current ones are large enough, as I generally wear a size 9, and these are a size 10, so I'm thinking maybe I need to try a new brand. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!:)

This is going to sound silly,but you should check to see if you are lacing too tightly. Even if the shoe seems comfortable at first feet tend to swell slightly as you workout due to increased blood circulation and fluids. I have had this happen to me b4 and in no way intend for this to be condescending, just a simple suggestion to try loosening the laces slightly (without sacrificing the support of the shoe)and see if this alleviates the tingly sensation. That said for my step, kickbox, and lifting workouts I wear Ryka's. Currently I am wearing the gym combo and find them to be supportive and cushioned. I do have to size up 1/2 size to leave a little room at the toe. This is the only shoe I have found that has adequate room in the toe box without having to buy a wider width causing the heel to slip. They actually use a woman's last to make their shoe instead of a sized down man's last.

Thanks so much for your advice - I in no way took it to be condescending! I actually had to start wearing shock-absorbing insoles in my shoes quite recently, which of course do take up an extra 1/4" in my shoes, so this may be contributing to why I am lacing too tight!!!
Thanks so much for your insight (although I DO feel a tad stupid now)!!!!! :)

Also how old are you shoes? They do wear out. I've noticed mine wearing out, my feet were hurting quite a bit. Last night I went and bought new Reeboks (they fit the nicest on my feet) and my pain is already nearly gone.

Basically you have to try on some different shoes and see what works best for you. i have heard good things about Ryka too but they didn't have them where I went last night so I went with the Reeboks which fit me best and I've had luck with in the past.

Jolene

I have this problem also, with certain brands, usually only bothers me on the elliptical, but sometimes during step also. And I did redo the laces for the ellipitcal but couldn't for aerobics because I needed the support. My foot is wide, so that may have something to do with it. Right now I am wearing New Balance crosstrainers (608 I think) and I like them, my feet have not gone numb once. It is frustrating because I can't really mail order since I need to try them on and can usually tell within a few minutes if my feet are going to go numb. There's not a store that carries Ryka where I live and I would really like to try them, so next time I make a trip to Dallas I may have to check into some stores at a REAL mall! LOL.

So you may want to check into New Balance if you have a wide foot, they have wide widths and the ones I've tried are pretty comfy. HTH!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.