Shingrix

garance

Cathlete
I had the first of my two shots on Friday, and was really achy all over for 24 hours. Felt great today, though. Anyone else with experience on this vaccination?

I just had my first this morning. Hope I don't get achy. I just got over the Summer Cold from Hell. I didn't know what the shot was. Had an appt. this morning and my physician recommended it.

I'm watching because I expect to be up for Shingrix after my physical in 2 weeks. I've had shingles, in my 20's. it was unpleasant but went away without any lasting issues. do not want to get it again. I have heard from 2 people ( not exactly a big survey) that they felt bad for several days after the second shot.

I have had both shots. I got them several months ago when the new vaccine just came out. (I had the old one too... about 6 years ago).

I had no side effects at all with either shot! I felt a bit sore in my arm, but did a workout immediately after getting the shot (both times) with no issues!

the vaccine is apparently backordered in this area and has been for months. I am trying to find out if Medicare with a supplement plan covers the cost and it sounds like it does not unless you have met some $275 deductible that does not include regular health care expenses ,like co pays or regular meds. plans will be reset in jan of '19. I tried talking to a person at the United customer service line and it was futile getting any useful answer. Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:
Medicare doesn't cover this, but my health insurance did with a $40 copay. Medicare doesn't cover the TDaP vaccine either, but my insurance did with a $40 copay. I needed to get it before I meet my almost here new grandson.

It's backordered everywhere here, with long waiting lists, so I haven't been able to get it yet. But I definitely want to...I had shingles a few years ago and I definitely DO NOT want to get it again. My case was on the mild side, and that was bad enough as far as I'm concerned.

Valerie, my plan is set up by the college for retirees. It is a Hartford based supplement insurance to Medicare called Benistar. The college pays the monthly premiums for six months of the year and reimburses the Medicare premium as well. No deductibles. I paid nothing for my knee replacement.

Lynda you probably have a better plan. mine is a no cost medicare advantage plan. DH is paying for an individual plan thru the exchange, and it is terrible coverage, but the only thing available. retired people too young for medicare got totally screwed over this year in WA.
the vaccine seems backordered everywhere right now, so I will hold off until the plans reset in January. probably better to contact the pharmacy where I get the vaccine for better info about coverage. I have not had good luck talking to United healthcare. I had the Zostavax vaccine a couple years ago, so not unprotected.

Last edited:
I had the first of my two shots on Friday, and was really achy all over for 24 hours. Felt great today, though. Anyone else with experience on this vaccination?
Yes, I had the first of the series of 2 and whoa! My shoulder ached for a few days, not unlike bursitis aching.
It was pretty painful, but probably worth it from what I read about shingles.
I have to have the second of the series next month.....I will be glad to have it over with.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.