Sewing Machine Expert

annie2867

Cathlete
I am looking for a simple sewing machine that will basically just sew regular stitches. I have never been able to figure out how to use one, especially the bobbin. Anyone have any advice on a really, really, easy simple machine to operate that I could buy. I am needing one for very simple projects.

I think walmart carries some basic machines. Just ask the person working in the sewing section for a good one. I got some sewing dvds on ebay that seem to be good. I've yet to really try it though. I took a basic sewing course once in a hancocks fabrics also. You could ask around about stuff like that.

Most JoAnns carry basic machines. You may think about buying your machine from a place that will give you classes on your machine. And with someone you can ask questions about your machine when you get stuck.

Shayne

What are you trying to sew? Sewing machines range in prices from $99-$5,000.00. I would reccomend a machine that has a good quality stich and one that will last you forever because trust me spending $99 and having to spend another $100 having to service if for not working can be frustrating. With that said, give them a test drive. Joanns Fabrics sells Vikings which are really good European quality, be forwarned they are expensive. Pfaff is also a good brand as is Bernina all European made and solid construction that will last forever. Each one of these brands makes and manufactures less expensive sort of "generic" versions of their brands. Even if you don't buy from a speacialty store go there just to give them test runs. Don't get sucked in to buying a machine with a bunch of fancy stiches if you are a hobby sewer. You will more than likely only need a straight stich and a zig zag stich. Hope this helps. Happy sewing.
By the way I own both a less expensive Brother sewing machine that I spent $129 (and then some for repairs) and a $2500 Pfaff which works likes a well oiled machine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.