? Self magazines 10 superfoods

DebD

Cathlete
Does anyone have this month's Self magazine with the list of the 10 superfoods? Could you please list them? Thanks so much.

Debbie D'Angelo

1. Black tea
2. Celery
3. Cherries
4. Edamame
5. Mushrooms
6. Onions
7. Pomegranate juice
8. Quinoa
9. Sunflower seeds
10. Whole-grain cereal

I was disappointed with the list and the reasons- I'm glad I didn't buy the magazine for the list- I have a subscription. I couldn't believe spinach and blueberries weren't on there!! They're on all the lists. It's on page 192 if you have the magazine.

>1. Black tea
>2. Celery
>3. Cherries
>4. Edamame
>5. Mushrooms
>6. Onions
>7. Pomegranate juice
>8. Quinoa
>9. Sunflower seeds
>10. Whole-grain cereal
>

I'm surprised it's "black" tea and not green or white.

Cherries ahead of blueberries? Did they say why?

I can somewhat understand the omission of spinach: it does have oxalic acid that can hinder the absorption of some nutrients.

And why whole grain cereal (processed) rather than oatmeal? because of the added vitamins and minerals?

Celery? I thought that was pretty nutrient poor? Good as far as calories (not many, in fact, some say it uses more calories to digest than it provides, but you'd have to eat a truckload for that to have any effect on weight loss). It definitely is not as nutritious as, say, sweet potatoes, which didn't make the list.

Any particular mushrooms? Shitake are more nutritious than plain ole button.

Hmmm...looking at the list, I'm imagining some kind of quinoa pilaf with onions, celery, mushrooms, sunflower seeds. Wonder if I have all those ingredients around?

On the other hand, yay for pomegranate juice (I have it in my mornig smoothies) and quinoa (makes a great, higher protein substitute for bulghar in tabooleh--or however that's spelled!).

1. black "can be just as good as green since it comes from the same antioxidant-rich plant that produces the green variety"
2. celery has really high potassium levels, higher levels per calorie than bananas. 4 medium stalks deliver the same potassium as a small banana, and celery has phthalides compounds which moderate blood perssure
3. cherries have lots of flavonoids, and are "particularly rich in anthocyanins, micronutrients that may jump-start the immune system and mop up disease-causing free radicals"
4. edamame- in case you're tired of tofu, try straight edamame beans since they have "almost twice the potassium and folate and nearly four times the fiber" of tofu.
5. mushrooms- low in calories, top source of B-complex vitamins, selenium, and some research shows they have "betaglucan and chitin, two types of fiber that absorb fat and whisk it out of the blood"
6. onions- blood thinning qualities; and contain a bunch of "quercetin, a flavonoid thought to reduce heart-attack risk" and also might boost bone health
7. pomegranat juice- antioxidant queen
8. quinoa- crazy fun protein and magnesium and some iron and potassium
9. sunflower seeds- vitamin E; 2 oz contain 80% of daily needs. full of fiber, healthy fats, protein and iron
10. whole grain cereal- they recommend ones that have at least 4 gm fiber per serving and less than 6gm sugar. fiber + energy for relatively low calorie consumption

I basically copied straight from the article on that. They seemed to be concerned with the benefits as compared to the calories, which makes sense to find this in Self.

I also found out the other night that water chestnuts are PACKED with iron. Who knew? Not me! But I do love them.

>I also found out the other night that water chestnuts are
>PACKED with iron. Who knew? Not me! But I do love them.

That is surprising. They seem like they wouldn't have much to them. Maybe I'll pick some up to add to that quinoa pilaf!

LOL, go for it! :D

(I just checked my can and it said 1/5 of the little can has 2% of your RDA of iron. What I read before was much higher than that, but whatever. It's got more than you'd think.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.