seeking pilate tapes

Could anyone recmmend a good pilate tape. I have heard it really strengths your abs. I have had two children, and my stomach needs a bit of attention. I had one c-section, so I'm looking to pull the pooch in a little.

Thank you all for being here for all us partners in exercise.
Linda

I am completely new to pilates, so I can only tell you about 2 videos (beginner) that I've tried.

One is the Denise Austin Matwork, which has 2-20min workouts on it. She gives very good instruction on both breathing and technique, so for an absolute beginner like myself, I found that helpful. The other is a 2 video set I just got, it's the Living Arts Beginner and Intermediate Pilates set with Ana Caban. The beginner workout gives good instruction, but a different breathing technique than the Denise Austin video (so now I have NO CLUE how to breathe during pilates!), but again, it's basic, gives instruction on the basic pilates moves and it is approximately 25min.
In the few short weeks since adding pilates, I can feel a strengthening in my abs and back that were not there before, so I am a "pilates believer."

Donna

Karen Voight has a couple of great pilates style workouts...I have them both on a DVD, but on tape I think one is called body reform abs and back...the DVD is called total body pilates. I also like Ana Caban, and the Stott tapes, although a little dry, are excellent.

Christine

Hi Linda,

Pilates is a great addition to your workouts!! :) I've definitely noticed improved core strength for the brief amount of time I've been doing them.

The following are my recommendations:
For beginners - Pilates for Dummies, Ana Caban, Hilary Burnett

For intermediate/advanced - Winsor Advanced Body Slimming, Hilary Burnett, Ana Caban

After doing several different pilates tapes, IMO they all have pretty much the same moves and concepts. Just a matter of preference for the instructor, if she overly talks (i.e. Mari Winsor's beginner tapes), etc.

Hope this helps. :)
Theresa

I second the Karen Voight suggestion. I have the same DVD, and I love Body Reform Abs and Back workout. Effective and interesting.
I also like Kathy Smith's Pilates for Abs. It is straightforward, she teaches well, in a friendly manner but serious, not goofy and cheerleader-y.
Kathy

I like Moria Stott. I have her intermediate and advanced tapes. The advanced is advanced, but the intermediate is good. I'll bet the beginner tape is just as well done. Learn the basics before you advance. The speed may seem snail slow, but if you don't get the basics down. Pilates is no good. It would also help you if you could take a few private lessons. Nothing can substitute for a good teacher. They could show you the basics, and then you could go w/ tapes on your own at home. Be prepared to spend some money on lessons. But, for me, Pilates has done in 6 months what ab crunches tried to do for 9 years...

I use The Method Precision Toning. It's boring but effective and best of all...cheap. I saw it at Target for $7 yesterday. I also have The Method 20/20 Precision Abs which is weird. The 2nd workout is okay. It's kind of intro Pilates with some plank work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.