Screw My Head Off, Please

melodygirl

Cathlete
Really, truly, I swear...If I have to engage in one more conversation with my mom as to what she should get the boys for Christmas I will screw my head off and not screw it on again. If I screw my head off I cannot hear, right? Will not the important connections that are necessary for the auditory system to function be rendered null and void? Please tell me yes.

Honestly, we are talking about MY boys...

They dig in dirt, they laugh at farts, they smell one another's feet, they hammer nails into a piece of wood for hours, they watch Sponge Bob...for the sake of sanity buy them a dirty stinky foot-shaped yellow sponge spiked with nails and be done with it. (Oh, throw in a lollipop because they also lick.)

OK, feeling better now. Anyone else want to vent?

Yes. I was gonna get my cousin (who's kind of my best friend) a gift, but not the rest of her family. Now I'm invited to Xmas dinner (in a Jewish house, should be interesting) so I have to buy the whole damn family gifts.

I think I have them all except I can't figure out WTH to get her 15 YO son other than tee shirts (he has this huge collection--think Hyde on That 70s Show). He's not into computer games or sports (other than skateboarding). Any suggestions?

HAHAHA!

If only my family were THAT easy to buy for. Or that funny even :D.

I haven't even purchased one single Christmas present for anybody yet, because I don't know what to buy! That's my vent!

Sara

>Really, truly, I swear...If I have to engage in one more
>conversation with my mom as to what she should get the boys
>for Christmas I will screw my head off and not screw it on
>again. If I screw my head off I cannot hear, right? Will not
>the important connections that are necessary for the auditory
>system to function be rendered null and void? Please tell me
>yes.
>
>Honestly, we are talking about MY boys...
>
>They dig in dirt, they laugh at farts, they smell one
>another's feet, they hammer nails into a piece of wood for
>hours, they watch Sponge Bob...for the sake of sanity buy them
>a dirty stinky foot-shaped yellow sponge spiked with nails and
>be done with it. (Oh, throw in a lollipop because they also
>lick.)
>
>OK, feeling better now. Anyone else want to vent?
>
>
>
>

LOL, Melody, I am on the other side of that conversation, IMing my sister constantly to ask her, "can I get him this, can I get her that?" She's calling me the Christmas Stalker.

So far my great ideas for drums, ponies, carpet slides, moon shoes, rabbits and indoor basketball have all been shot down. On the sly I purchased two marshmellow launchers for them. So there. My BIL has threatened to pelt me with stale cookies should I show up with anything alive.

You parents <-------what a bunch of killjoys. :p

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

I am so there with you! How about this:

I have completely avoided talking to my MIL this season. For the past three years she has asked me what I was getting DH and DKs, and then she has gone out and gotten them the same thing that I got them but maybe a different color. And she gives it to them at her Christmas party the on CEve, the day before we give our kids thier gifts on Cmorning. I haven't talked to MIL at all since Thanx (she is probably talking about me behind my back to all of her DD, but do I care? NO!), and DH is refusing to tell her because he is sick of it.

Can anyone top that? }( }( }(

Missy

No, Missy :(

I can't believe your mom would do that. That must be so uncomfortable for you. My sister is pregnant now with my parents first grandchild.... It makes me wonder how they will be :D. I wonder if these children have any idea or will ever appreciate that all of these adults are FIGHTING to buy them gifts. How cool.

Oh no!!! It isn't my mom, it is DH's mom, I think she sees me as some sort of competition for her only strait son's love (he also looks the most like his deceased dad and his children carry his last name, but that is JMO). My mom would never do anything that because my dad's mom is like that... we sure know how to pick our in laws, don't we? ;)

Congrats on almost being an auntie, that is so exciting! I have one nephew and it is the funnest thing in the world. I can tell you that the kids definitely feel the love, that's for sure. None go without hugs and kisses, and most of the time they get what they want from either grandparent! :D

Missy

Oh, good! Much easier dealing with an inlaw like that than your own mother :D. I misunderstood. Yes, we are all excited. I just wish they lived closer, for their sake and for ours. But the kid will be spoiled to death, that I'm sure of!!

Sara

"Screw my head off, please"

I guess my mind is in the gutter, but I thought this post would be about another subject completely}( }(

Took me a while to get that joke.... feeling squarely, well, square right now.

I got my MIL pjs... a size medium, cuz even tho the size large might fit better (she's a tall solid woman, not fat), thought what if she's offended that I got her a large? Always second-guessing this time of year. Now what to get Dad??????

My grandmother NEEDS a size large but is completely offended if you buy her anything other than a small. I like to buy her calenders.

Sara

"My grandmother NEEDS a size large but is completely offended if you buy her anything other than a small. I like to buy her calenders."

Okay, that made me howl :D

Boy did I need to read this! Melody, I love your boys - they are the funniest, best laugh producing boys I've had the pleasure to know about.

My vent is that when I ask my sister what to get her two girls, she can never give me their correct sizes. "Buy Lorette a size 7 and Emilie a size 6X - no bigger because otherwise they won't fit into it for another year). According to my mom, who watches the girls frequently, Lorette is in a size 6 and Emilie is in a size 8. So I could get them outfits sized according to my sister, but the clothes won't fit; or I could buy them what fits, but my sister won't try it on them because it's the "wrong" size or I could just give cash, but the girls are 4 & 7 so they won't really enjoy that so much.

I decided to buy them toys instead. That's what aunts are for afterall!

Claude

"A Drug is a substance which, when injected into a Rat, produces a SCIENTIFIC REPORT."

My SO's stepmom called the other night for ideas for my DD. So I told her. She kept saying "Really? Are you sure? And you think she'd like that?". Right. Because I don't know what my own DD wants for Christmas. Yeesh *rolls eyes dramatically*

I'm really hoping she gets me another table centrepiece with crystal encrusted fruit and a gold cherub this year, because that's JUST SO ME!!!

Done ranting now.

>I'm really hoping she gets me another table centrepiece with
>crystal encrusted fruit and a gold cherub this year, because
>that's JUST SO ME!!!

:7 :7 :7 :7

OMG! How awful, Shelley!

((((((((((Shelley)))))))))))

You deserve ^^^^ for graciously accepting a gift as hideous as that sounds!:p

>I am so there with you! How about this:
>
>I have completely avoided talking to my MIL this season. For
>the past three years she has asked me what I was getting DH
>and DKs, and then she has gone out and gotten them the same
>thing that I got them but maybe a different color. And she
>gives it to them at her Christmas party the on CEve, the day
>before we give our kids thier gifts on Cmorning. I haven't
>talked to MIL at all since Thanx (she is probably talking
>about me behind my back to all of her DD, but do I care?
>NO!), and DH is refusing to tell her because he is sick of it.
>
>
>Can anyone top that? }( }( }(
>
>Missy

Can't top it, but why not tell your MIL what you'd LIKE her to get you and kids instead of what you have gotten for them? Even if you play it off as what you "might" have gotten them... Then they'll get what they really like/want :)

My issue is minor compared to some other, but it still annoys me... Every year, my mom picks up some toy I don't approve of (think Bratz or violent/messy stuff) saying the kids would like it. I tell her no, and she'll try to lay on the guilt trip saying, "You have to think of what the recipient wants, not what you want." That might be ok if the recipient was an adult, but they're MY kids! I don't want that junk in the house. Every year. UGH! lol. Vent over.

Carol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.