Salad dressing recipes

lorihart

Cathlete
Does anyone have any good dressing recipes? I use to eat salads all the time and I use to pick the lowest fat/cal one, which would be italian dressing.I swear to God,if I had to eat it one more time I would throw upx( So b/c I am being picky about the dressing, I very rarely eat salads anymore.
I use to make one all the time.It had oil,vinegar,sugar twin (or sugar)o.j,honey and syrup.It was like a strawberry dressing.It was pretty liquidy so a little went a long way.I am really thinking I should eat more salads but it will only be a matter of time before I get sick of that recipe.
So spill the beans.....anyone have any good recipes your hiding?
Lori:)

I usually just use lemon juice or cottage cheese as salad dressing, but if you want to do all that extra work of using a recipe :)-) ), try this:

1 cup fat free ricotta (that's 40 g. of protein right there!)
1 handful sun dried tomatos (the dry kind that come in cellophane, not the oil packed. Reconstitute them with a little boiling water until they're soft, then drain)
1 teaspoon olive oil
dash each of: oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder. More of less to taste.

Throw all that stuff in the blender and puree until runny. You can add a touch of milk if it needs to be smoother.

It's really good and gives you some great protein, too!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE 1teas olive oil and 2 teas balsmic vinegar. Sometimes it reminds me of Easter!

I also add a few spinkles of feta cheese.

I went off salads for the same reasons as you - using same old fat free or low fat stuff. I now use a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice and pine nuts on my salad. I thought I would never lose weight eating the pine nuts and olive oil but I found it did me no harm. For some reason I don't get sick of it that easily either. If I have time, I make home made pesto with basil leaves, lemon juice, pine nuts and olive oil. It has a lot of flavor and a little goes a long way in salads.

I know what you mean. I ate diet Italian dressing over iceberg lettuce for so many years the thought of eating either one makes me ill. I just made this recipe from one of the Moosewood cookbooks and I love it:

3 T toasted sesame seeds
3/4 cup oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 T soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
several dashes of Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

330 calories per 2 oz. serving, 1 G protein, 36 G fat, 2.7 G carbs, 417 mg sodium

Obviously not low calorie, but I just hate low calorie dressings now, and my salad dressing usually is about my only fat during the day so I splurge.

Got this one from a nutritionist. This is all I use on my salads. Yeah it has fat in it but according the nutritionist it is good fat and the fat free dressings are full of junk.

1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 teaspoons of balsalmic vinegar
2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
Few shakes of McCormacks Pizza seasoning dry spices

Blend well

Tracy

Tracy, You recipe looks awesome! Hey, never fear fat from olive oil (or nuts)! That's the kind of fat that helps get rid of fat!!! That recipe rocks!

Lori,

I know this isn't a recipe but if you have the brand Newman's Own in Canada, his lite balsamic vinagrette is delicious.

I refuse to eat lite dressings, except Newman's, because I hate them.
Usually I dip my fork in full fat dressing, then stab the lettuce. I end up using so little of the dressing, but still have tons of flavor.

Lori

1 Cup Olive Oil
1/3 Cup of Balsamic Vinegar
Celery Salt (a few shakes)
Italian Seasoning (I use lots)
Pepper (to taste)

I just throw it all in a jar and shake it up.

I made this recipe up one day and was hooked on it after that. Even hubby likes it! I use it sparingly on my salad and refrig the rest for the remainder of the week. It thickens in the frig a bit but is really good that way! I have a huge salad for lunch 4X/week made with romaine, red, yellow and orange peppers, a roma tomato, lots of celery and sometimes even a few walnuts broken up. (The walnuts make it extra special.) I know the olive oil and walnuts are fats, but good fats. ENJOY Lori!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.