SAHM help!

2tina72382

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
I've been using Cathe's dvds for a long time on and off. (I own nearly every series) I recently decided to be a SAHM while my kiddos are young- 5 and 7. I'm finding that I'm not as able to stick to a workout routine or healthy eating habits. I feel like when I worked and was really strapped for time, I was better at planning and doing my (albeit short) workouts and healthier eating.
I'm looking for advice from others who were or are in the same boat- how do you keep to your routine and keep out of the kitchen pantry too? lol oh, and.... do you let yourself rest during the day? I do so much I'm just exhausted all. the. time. and I'm wondering if I am overdoing it.

Thanks!
Tina

Hi Tina,

When I was a SAHM I worked out at 6am so i could be finished before the kids got up. Additionally, I napped every day around 2pm for about 30 minutes :) It's busy being a SAHM! soooooooooooooo much to do. I hope you figure it out. I was tired when I was a SAHM. I eventually realized my hormones were dipping - low progesterone and low thyroid.

Hi Tina,

When I was a SAHM I worked out at 6am so i could be finished before the kids got up. Additionally, I napped every day around 2pm for about 30 minutes :) It's busy being a SAHM! soooooooooooooo much to do. I hope you figure it out. I was tired when I was a SAHM. I eventually realized my hormones were dipping - low progesterone and low thyroid.

Thanks, Ceci! I've had my throid checked- but things can always change so I'll keep tabs on it. Good to know I'm not the only one. I could try early morning workouts- however I feel like I have two left feet that early and that could make for an interesting workout. lol

I too worked out early in the morning and then would nap in the afternoon.
Thanks! I guess giving into the nap idea could be nice. :)
How did you get going that early in the AM? I literally am worried I will drop a weight on my toes. or face. LOL.

Could you do some quick n' dirty bodyweight/DB workouts while your kids are playing (or doing homework, etc.)? Jen Sinkler's Lift Weights Faster has some great workouts (PDF, not video) that fit strength and conditioning into a brief time. You could do a lot with bodyweight, a few dbs, maybe some sliding discs and bands. A suspension trainer (e.g., Jungle Gym XT) would also be great.

Re: staying out of the pantry, let me know if you figure out the magic trick so I can keep my sticky fingers out of the PB jar! :p But seriously... get a sodastream and drink seltzer (flavored, if you wish) and coffee (decaf after you've hit your caffeine quota) and herbal tea. Not that I always follow my own instruction!

Some great suggestions above. :)I am not an early morning exerciser :eek: (even though I wished I was!) so I ended up working out after the kids went to bed. Yes, I worked out some days at 10 pm but that worked for me. It was my 'me' time.

If I knew I would be busy that evening I wore exercise clothes during the day so I would be ready at any time to fit in a workout when I saw the kids were safely engaged in something. Then when an opportunity popped up I started one of Cathe's workouts and said to myself that even if I only did the first 10 min. it was worth it. Sometimes I bonused and got the whole workout in!

My biggest hurdle was prioritizing working out. There always seemed to be dishes to do, laundry to fold, etc. etc.! I finally decided that working out GAVE ME the ENERGY I needed to do the other tasks and put me in the right frame of mind so I could do all my other obligations with a positive, energetic attitude. I even wrote it on my 'to do' list for the day. After a few years of being tired all the time (NOT fun! :(:oops:) I decided to hire a high school student a couple of hour per week to help with the housework drudgery. For me, it was well worth the money as it gave me a bit more time to focus on my children and my health and not on the housework tasks that were fatiguing me. I finally figured out I am a better wife and parent if I work out 45 min. a day to a quick DVD than if I kill myself with housework. And a housekeeper is still much cheaper than a gym membership!

Using one of Cathe's rotations worked for me. I didn't have time to think about what workout to do each day. I just followed along with what she has planned (always nicely well-rounded so I know I get cardio, flexibility and strength training all in within the week). I would recommend ICE (especially if you are tired and not at your 'peak' performance level) or Ripped with Hiit, as most of the workouts in these rotations come in at about 45 mins. I printed off the rotation I chose and hung it on the fridge. I highlighted them or drew happy faces :) beside each workout as it was completed. The kids saw that I too used some motivational/behavioural strategies (hee hee!).

In terms of eating, I agree with MomInVT - there is no magic bullet. What I find helpful is not buying the junk in the first place - not having it around to tempt me. This is healthier for the kids too. Planning meals and healthy snacks works for me. Again, I hang my plan on the fridge. Then I KNOW I won't be hungry and that a meal is coming up soon. And if I am working out regularly, I am more motivated to eat well. For me, I focused on getting moving and then the eating comes along after that.

Sorry for the long winded response...but such a great, important question. I too, found it easier when I was working and life was very structured. Takes some work to create your own structures and to find a balance that works for your own health and happiness and that of your family. Good luck and know that your efforts will be a fabulous example to your children of what is important in life.

Thank you all for the great advice. I love ICE, so I"ll stick to that because yes, they are a bit shorter and easier workouts (but still do a great job)
I'm also going to make sure I have cut up fruits, veggies, hardboil eggs ready when I need a snack.

Excited to see how the next week goes! :)

Tina

Jane, I love your perspective on just 10 minutes. I will def use that when those days are long and no naps are in sight. :)
also love the idea of having an extra set of hands around to help with those dreaded chores... I swear sometimes I think, I signed up for this?!!! Laundry and dishes and vacuuming and mopping? lol. But it's worth it to be with my kids more. <3

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.