S-curve scoliosis

icumom

Cathlete
I do Critical Care,not teenage curvature, and my daughter, with a huge growth spurt, sprung a 48 and 42 degree S curve....back in the day, the tx was always the Harrington rod or the brace (which we've found out didn't work and put pals of mine through a lot of hell in teen years)....she's 18,gets some pain,but not debilitating-typical stuff everyone gets....just wondering who has been through it,how and if you were treated, and what your impressions are? There's google searches, text book stuff, but I"ve learned in my career, nothing substitutes from real life feedback!
Thanx

Hi! I also have S curve scoliosis (almost the exact same degrees as your daughter actually). I am 27 years old and feel that I have found ways to comfortably live with my curve now, but went through a lot of stress during my teens debating on surgery. I am so happy that I didn't get the Harrington Rod. The biggest help for me is swimming!!! It really feels like it lengthens out the vertebrae and always provides relief from the discomfort that I occasionally feel. I have also noticed that when I stop swimming my right shoulder will come forward. Swimming regularly helps to hide this by forcing the shoulder blade back and has made me less self conscious of my appearance. I am an ultrasound tech so I spend a lot of my day leaning to one side which can sometimes flare things up so I get a 45 min massage every three weeks. As you probably know, muscles on one side of the body are tighter/stronger than the opposite side so a good massage therapist can really focus on that. There is a Yoga for Scoliosis DVD by Elise Browning Miller that is great also (You have to really pay close attention to her instruction and be very aware of your body.). With some of these moves I can temporarily force my one hip back a little. Unfortunately, the muscles are going to do what they want so it always goes back again by the next day but it still feels so good while you are doing it. I occasionally use a chiropractor but do not rely on him. Be very skeptical of anyone who tells you they can correct the curve. As much as wish I didn't have scoliosis, in some ways it makes me take better care of my body and do things for myself that I normally wouldn't- like splurge on massages :). I really feel like it is something that can be lived with at these degrees without surgery. Hope this helps.

I have s-curve too. It's been so long I can't remember the degrees - but it's significant enough than when I saw the X-rays I burst into tears :) I found out about mine about 18 years ago. It scared me so much I haven't stopped working out since. Lifting weights really has helped strengthen the back, pull my shoulders back ... there are just some things I can't do - like deadlifts. I even started running about nine years ago and that's been fine. Just need to be consistent w/ stretching. I found a chiropractor about 9 years ago I really like. He uses something called the activator method, which is much gentler than the approach my first chiro. used. He's never claimed to be able to correct the curvature. If I'm coming in w/ a problem consistent in one area he'll suggest exercises and/or stretches to get past it. I'd have to be in really constant, un-fixable pain for me to have back surgery. I think pilates - especially w/ the equipment (e.g."reformer") - would be great for someone w/ scoliosis. If I had more money - and not three little ones to care for - I'd love to try it.

That's my input. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.