Running & Cathe

Hi All,

I'm training for my first marathon (yikes!) and I'm not sure how to incorporate Cathe into it.

I run 4 days a week and each week the miles go up, as does the time.

Can anyone recommend a good rotation to go with running?

Cheryl

I tend to only follow the weight training portion of the posted rotations. I've only done half marathons, but I find as the runs get longer, I back off leg workouts (which is probably not a good thing).

I'm training for a marathon too! In the past what I've done is run 3 days a week, do weight workouts 3 days a week, then take a rest day, which is the day after my long run.
I've noticed in the past that doing plyo legs from the STS series seems to make running easier for me, so I always incorporate those workouts when I'm training.
As far as the other weight workouts, I love to lift heavier weights so I'll usually do an upper body split two days. Some dvd's I really like are gym style, xtrain, sts, pyramind upper body, & slow and heavy. I'm sure there's more but those are the one's I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm training for a half marathon. 3days running, 2days upper body splits (Xtrain/STS) & 1 day plyo or horizontal conditioning.
Example:
Mon- CSB
Tues- hill repeats run
Wed- Bi & TRI
Thurs- tempo run
Fri- HC or plyo
Sat- long run

Jennifer is the expert in running here so hopefully she can see your post & give you some input:)

I like doing STS while training for a full
example (for me)
mon- long run
tues- spin & upperbody (disk 1)
wed- run
thurs- cardio & legs (disk 3)
fri- run or hiit & upperbody (disk 2)
sat- hill run
sun- off (maybe yoga or walk)
or I'll do the same but use slow & heavy instead of sts or this last one I did in may I used xtrain
and I always stretch really well after running
and when my long runs get really long I like spinning the next morning it takes the sore away

that's just what works for me
I wake up very early to get it!
take care
Christie

Last edited:
For those of you who train for half or full marathons, 3 days just doesn't seem like much running, especially for the marathon. How many miles do you run vs. hours lifting or cross training?

Jennifer - I think IIRC, you did quite well on a schedule with less running as well, competitively? What do you do besides run?

That said, I'm pretty sure I would still have to log a significant amount of miles to run the kind of races the way I want to run them. Just curious as to how others mix & match. :)

I'm currently training for marathon #4, I'm not the fastest runner, so you can take my advice or leave it.

This time I'm running T/W/Th/Sa/Su with full body weights on Monday and rest on Friday. Runs are roughly short/medium/short/medium/long.

This is the same as what I did for marathon #3, and shaved nearly 30 minutes off my time. But, like I said, I'm a slower runner, so 30 mins isn't as huge as it sounds. Last go around, I occasionally subbed in a circuit for the full body weights, depending on my mood. I did easy weights (PushPull/Supersets) for the last month just to lessen the risk of injury or doing something stupid to myself so close to race day.

The 1st two marathons I did, were running on T/W/Th/Sa and then I would try to stick in either 2 upper/lower splits, normally lower on Monday and upper on Friday and non-running cardio on Sunday. That was a lot to do in a week, especially as the runs got longer. When I trained for my first, I was also wrapping up the last couple weeks of STS, but at least the runs were shorter.

I've discovered that as the miles get longer, I have to have the rest day, and by trying to cram too much in and do it all, I end up worn out and cranky. The problem is, there is so much I want to do!!!!

Nan

For those of you who train for half or full marathons, 3 days just doesn't seem like much running, especially for the marathon. How many miles do you run vs. hours lifting or cross training?

Jennifer - I think IIRC, you did quite well on a schedule with less running as well, competitively? What do you do besides run?

That said, I'm pretty sure I would still have to log a significant amount of miles to run the kind of races the way I want to run them. Just curious as to how others mix & match. :)

I'm currently training for my 3rd full marathon. I've run many half marathons all while following a 3 day a week running schedule. After my kids were born and I had a few extra pounds to drop I'd increase the number of days of running but my body would always end up sore. Usually my feet, hips, and knees would end up with some sort of low level ache. This way my body has lots of time to repair itself and I don't get that soreness that doesn't go away. And so far, I have not had any running related injuries.
In addition to running days, I include one day a week of plyo legs (which for me is also cardio) , and two days of heavy weights for upper body. As someone mentioned, STS is a great program to follow. I've used it twice before while training for a full and just might use it again.

Mon - upper body
Tue - run
Wed - legs (usually plyo legs)
Thurs - run
Fri - upper body
Sat - long run
Sun - rest

My running schedule this time around is from a book titled "Run Less Run Faster" It's a 3 day a week running schedule which includes a tempo run, speed work, and a long run. It tells you exactly what to run and at what pace to run it (which I love). The pace is based on the time it takes you to run a 5k, so it's different for everyone. It's an intense program, but for me it's better to have 3 really intense runs each week, rather that 5 or 6 less intense runs. This program also recommends two additional days of spinning, swimming, or rowing (I think) but I'm not following that portion of the program. I checked it out from the library for free in case I didn't like it.
It might not be a schedule that works for everyone, but it works for me. I need to have time in my exercise plan to lift weights and this allows for it. I also need time for my "running muscles" to recover and repair themselves.

Last edited:
Fighting4me - I too am trying to fit in strength training with the running schedule, the first part of the year, Jan/Feb. I focused a lot on the strength and then transitioned in March to more running, by April, a full running schedule, it's tough to do both.

spyrosmom - Thanks for the reply, found that if the strength training is tough, I didn't have a lot of energy for longer running, but now I feel like I need those workouts, especially upper body. It sounds like it worked for you, 30 minutes is still a huge amount to take off a long race, in my book.

I keep thinking I want to Step & do plyos too. Having a hard time fitting things in I want to do too.

I'm currently training for marathon #4, I'm not the fastest runner, so you can take my advice or leave it.

This time I'm running T/W/Th/Sa/Su with full body weights on Monday and rest on Friday. Runs are roughly short/medium/short/medium/long.

This is the same as what I did for marathon #3, and shaved nearly 30 minutes off my time. But, like I said, I'm a slower runner, so 30 mins isn't as huge as it sounds. Last go around, I occasionally subbed in a circuit for the full body weights, depending on my mood. I did easy weights (PushPull/Supersets) for the last month just to lessen the risk of injury or doing something stupid to myself so close to race day.

The 1st two marathons I did, were running on T/W/Th/Sa and then I would try to stick in either 2 upper/lower splits, normally lower on Monday and upper on Friday and non-running cardio on Sunday. That was a lot to do in a week, especially as the runs got longer. When I trained for my first, I was also wrapping up the last couple weeks of STS, but at least the runs were shorter.

I've discovered that as the miles get longer, I have to have the rest day, and by trying to cram too much in and do it all, I end up worn out and cranky. The problem is, there is so much I want to do!!!!

Nan

momto4 - interesting mix, I thought STS would be really tough to do, and take more time than I would typically spend lifting. I do think there are other runners that have used it.

I don't have soreness so much, but occasionally, pure muscle fatigue, I run a lot, so lifting heavy at the moment, probably isn't going to happen, push ups & pull ups though are a real maybe. ha. I do think though, for some reason, step & plyo would really round out the week.

Hi All,

I'm training for my first marathon (yikes!) and I'm not sure how to incorporate Cathe into it.

I run 4 days a week and each week the miles go up, as does the time.

Can anyone recommend a good rotation to go with running?

Cheryl

I am a runner, and have been running for over 30 years. I have gone through certain stages of my running that have probably helped me get to where I am right now. So, I will try to help with this question as best as I can. I used to run A LOT!!! Which has helped with my endurance, however, my performance and speed has improved immensely by adding more strength workouts and plyo. So, if your goal is to finish the marathon you will probably need more training runs than I typically do. When you get to the point in your running where you have build the endurance, you don't need to run so much. I just PR'd in a 5K last week, and I have been running once (sometimes twice) a week since the new year. I don't run more than 10 a week...if that. I love my Cathe workouts to much to run so much anymore.

Anyway, since this is your first marathon, you have to keep that long run once a week. But I would continue strength (highly recommend a 3-day split) and do 3 training runs a week. One 3-4 miles, speed intervals, one 6-7 tempo, one long run. I do like to add a day of plyo/HIIT....which helps with speed. Once you have build your endurance up, and if you continue to race/run...you won't need to do as much running.

I know tons of runners that log 70-80 miles a week....in the long run, you will start to beat up your body, and you will have joint issues, possible stress fractures, etc. It's not a good thing. I like that I can run once a week, 6-8 miles at a decent speed and do a race here and there and kick some butt!!!! At 41, I am still PR'ing and I (knock on wood) have not experienced any running injuries. Last race was a 5K, 18:41. When I ran in college, I was doing them in about 21 minutes.

Good luck....i highly recommend workouts like STS, Gymstyle, Slow & Heavy...anything like that!

Wow! Thanks everyone for the advice!

I never thought about looking at STS. I haven't done it, even though I have the program, because I never had the proper weights, but I'm definitely going to look into it now.

I'm happy to see that you are all recommending things that I have on hand already. I need to pay more attention to the running as that is my weakness right now - it's amazing how much endurance you need for it. I thought I was at least in ok shape until I started running (haha!).

I do want to change things up a bit and get in awesome shape.

So, here's to my marathon and strength training...October is waiting for me with the Detroit FreePress Marathon!

Cheryl

I'm training for the Dopey Challenge in January in Disney. Wow, lots of great ideas here to take into consideration. Thanks! :)

Regina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.