Runners, what to eat before a race?

L

Lora

Hi,
I've been told there are allot of runners here so I will ask this question an see what you all say. Last weekend I ran in my first race and wasn't sure what to eat. The race was at 10:00 and so about 7:30 or 8:00 I had two buckwheat pancake. I think I read that one should eat Carbohydrates and drink lots of water.
I'm really getting into this running stuff. Been dreaming for year that I someday could be a jock (Runner). So at the age of 48 I started. It's great fun. Hopefully my knees will hold up.
happy.gif
= Lora.

Pretty Much What I Eat

I can't run on a full stomach, so I eat a light carbohyrdrate meal. Such as Oatmeal, Bagels, Cereal, and I might have a Banana. I drink lots of water before hand.

You might want to check out www.runnersworld.com. Which is strictly a Runners site for more information.

Or you can always stop over at www.videofitness.com which is where a lot of us who post to Cathe sites post over there. You will find a lot of us Runners who love Step at Video Fitness. Plus we do a Runners Checkin for motivation.

Pancakes are perfect.

Those wonderful carbs! When you eat three hours before a race you can get away with eating a hefty breakfast and it's ok to balance carbs with protein and a little fat (for endurance). Be certain you are well hydrated. You can carbo "load" too. Three to five days before a race you can chose to lighten up on carbs to deplete your body of them. This is optional. Then for three days leading up to the race emphasize carbs in your diet. Your muscles should be bursting with glycogen and ready to run fast. You might also try tapering. Run sparingly the few days before a race to spare your glycogen (stored carbohydrate) stores.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.