Runners Checkin Sat May 6

Hi all! Isn't it great being a runner? Just getting out there and making an effort makes you special!

Elaine- you ran a fabulous race! Congratulations and don't be so hard on yourself, although it's hypocritical for me to say because I do exactly the same thing. ;-)

Sarah- the best of wishes for you tomorrow...I know you'll relax and have some fun.

Barb- Way to go on your 11 miles, you're clocking in with some serious mileage :7

Gayle- I think it's great you'll be doing the Marine Corps marathon. That's one I dream about doing even more than Boston!

Thank you VERY much Carole, Christine and Kathy G for remembering me and wishing me luck Christine--Way to go on your 5 miles, sounds like you are making some steady progress for sure. :)
Kathy- I can never go beyond an hour on the eliptical because of numb feet! I'm not sure why, it doesn't happen on other equipment.

I ran my Whiskey Row half marathon today. It is called one of the nations most challenging courses and I'm here to tell you that's no lie:eek: The first 7 mile are just brutal with a climb in elevation
from 5200 to 7000 feet. My PR for the half is 1:49 but there was no way I was going to be able to come close to that. I was hoping for a dream time of under 2 hrs but realistically I was expecting to come in at 2:00 to 2:05 and that is exactly what I did. My time was a tad over 2:04, 4th in my division, just missing out on a medal x( Well, my lesson learned was that I definitely did not give myself enough of a taper/rest period considering the difficulty of the course. Next year I'll plan better :)

Karen- look forward to reading your race report:7

Good vibes to all....you're terrific

ShellyC

Elaine & Shelly...you guys did GREAT today! Pat yoruselves on the back for me! YOU ROCK!

Gotta run........LOL

Gayle

Good job, Elaine! That's amazing to place in your age group. You're so fast, what is there to critique????

Shelly C-- awesome accomplishment. The elevation sounds really hard. Good for you for completing it and your time sounds good to me!

Karin -- great on your time improvement.

Mattea --I know the 11 miles sounds good, but it's hilarious to me that I'd be helping you step it up!! :+ But thank you. I feel like each long run I do I need to carry a little mirror with me to check that it's really me doing this.
How can you do Imax the day before a long run? That's amazing. I took it easy, easy yesterday.
About the Gatorade: I get migraines and sometimes sugary things like juice or very sweet fruit will give me something like a brain-freeze. The Gatorade I bought was called "endurance" and was orange flavor. I am going to experiment with some different things and will look for the watermelon flavor, maybe mixing it with water or trying some other drink + water.

Christine -- bye bye to those 4 minutes!

Gayle -- that's great about your mom.

Laura-- glad your sons' cleaned up at soccer, too.

I'm off for the rest of day. Karen I hope you had a great race!
Sarah, good luck tomorrow.

-Barb
:) :) :)

Elaine – wow, that is a great time for your 10K. congratulations!

Christine – good job at shaving off 4 min from your 5 mile time.

Gayle – that is so great about your mom. It seems that your enthusiasm is spreading to everyone around you.

Shelly – OMG, the elevation gain in your race sounds insane!! Despite the difficulty of the course you had a great time!

Karin

shelly 2:04 is a good time thats without even saying about the difficulty. adding the difficulty of it makes it a fabulous time.

way to go christine!!!

Hi Everybody, I'm back. I just wanted to say this was the most awesome thing I have ever done in my life beside getting married and having kids. I'm telling you, I am so thankful for all of you who said throw the registration in the mail and go for it. My many thanks to all of you for allowing me to have this experience. Ok, here's is how it went. First off when we got there there was an accident right in front of the place. Not very horrible but an accident for all those involved non the less. So they changed the course. It was suppose to be a flat course relatively all the way around. Now with the accident ( Change of Plans) . Things still got off on time but now the course had to go uphill. The first mile was completly uphill and then the rest of the route was able to run as normal. The first hill kicked my butt. It was so so hot and I felt like I was climbing Mt Everest. After I came down the hill which wasn't as steep coming down as it was going up the man said Mile 1 Honey. I smiled. I thought I am so in the moment here. Then I just forged on. I came in at 25:57 and 27th overall. I was thrilled with that. I was so nervouse when the course got changed and then the hill but I DID IT. My kids and husband were saying go mom as I came in and I saw all the people just smile for me. I think there were about 80 runners there and some of those people were amazing. I was in total awe of them. Like you said the first runner was just as important as the last. There was a girl with a hurt leg and I was so proud of her when she came in. It was life changing. So much so that i already registerd for another 5K in two weeks. I'm am so hooked people.

Got to go but I want you to know I'm on cloud nine. The best part was is that my girls said "When we get bigger can we do it with you" I say you bet. I can't wait. I think they are going to do the fun walk at the next one.

Off to make dinner. Sarah- Best Wishes to you for the Big Day.

I'm so happy. I so happpy.

Elaine- what a great time you had. I'm very proud of you. All of us. Thanks for your encouragement. It was nice to know you were all running with me somehow in spirit today.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Karen-Okay, officially you just made me cry and I do NOT cry easily woman! I love that you had such an amazing experience and I want to say that I am so proud of you for taking this challenge, setting such a fantastic example for your family, and then facing the last minute hurdle of an uphill course. You simply ROCK:7 :7 :7 Hey, speaking of addictive, I bet you can beat your time next race;-)

Awesome run Elaine! It's okay to be critical of yourself, even hypercritical, just so long as you are as encouraging and proud as you are tough.

Shelly C-Wow! Wow! I have U2's "Elevation" on my running mix and next time I hear it, well, you know who I'll be thinking of!

Barb 11 miles sounds great! If my long run didn't have so many freakin' hills I might be there already, lol! If you get migraines from some of the sports drinks you should try for those that have no color at all, sometimes that added colors or flavorings can be triggers. That's why I went with the watermelon, it was clear. I know what you mean about the mirror, but just having my DH along to cheer me on, and you awesome ladies to report back to, well that always makes it special and real for me. As for Imax, well, maybe that's why I'm still on 10 miles! Can't give up the high intensity Cathe though, and I'm not training for a long race so the time is just a personal challenge right now.

Gayle-As if I wasn't already crying over Karen's post! Sheesh! Make sure to give your mom a high five from us.

Laura-I'm with you on the pilates thing, sometimes it's way to much explaining!

Have a great day!
Mattea

Hey Karen- That was a great time you ran! And for being your first it was awesome:7 :7 :7 You're going to go far girl!

ShellyC

Hello again,

I didn't have enough time to read through all of the posts earlier but I really wanted to comment on a couple of them.

First, Gayle, That is one of the most touching stories I've heard in a long time. The love of running has so many personal benefits but when it touches someone else's life, well, that's just priceless!

Shelly, So sorry I forgot about your 1/2 and I hope a belated acknowledgement is OK! I ran a similar 1/2 last Feb so I *know* what your run was like and my hat is off to you for your fantastic race!

Last but not least, Karen!! Another touching story! I can tell that you are as proud of yourself as you have every right to be! (and we are too) Isn't the running bug wonderful to have??? Now I can't wait to hear how the next 5K goes.

Have I ever mentioned that I *LOVE* this check-in???:7 :7

KAREN!
KAREN!
KAREN!
KAREN!

You ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did fantastic. And you did FAST! LOL. Congratulations on your newest addiction! Welcome to the club! LOL.

And let me tell you something...that cloud nine, life-changing feeling does NOT go away after your first race! It continues with every race you do.

LADIES!!!!!!! GROUP HUG to all of you! WE ALL ROCK!!!!!!!!

Gayle

I told my dh I had to go check in with my running partners one more time. Mattea, Elaine, ShellyC, Gayle, and everyone else here, I have to say one last thing. I was never an athlete, never picked fist, mostly picked last, and always self doubting. I have such a loving family, husband and children but I never thought much about how in my life I had always second guessed myself. Looking back tongiht I can remember in 2nd grade there was this teacher who didn't like me and my best friend got to picked to be team captain in dodgeball. Well, she picked me first and when she did I heard the teacher say to her, "Hon you should never pick your friends, you should always pick the kids who are good." For some reason tonight I thought of that time when I was 7 to where I am today at 33 and what impact that had on me. As I thought of that time all I could think of is how today I was the team captain and that I was good. I really was. Literally thank God for all I have learned through the years and all that I can teach my children just by knowing you ladies. Now I'm crying.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Karen - WAY TO GO!!! YOU DO ROCK!! How exiting!

Shelly - HOLY COW!! That elevation gain IS insane - I've been at those elevations, so I know!! WAY TO GO!!!

Elaine!!! Way to go....awesome pace...:)

Shelly!!! Great job...I seem to get the 4th alot myself...:)

Karen...what a story! You did so well and it just makes me smile and tear up!!!

I just wanted to post CONGRATS to you racers for today and I will reply in length more tomorrow as I am not sure anyone is up this late??...:)..to the 3 of you...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_125.gif[/img] You all ROCK!!!

karen, your story made me cry!!! I too felt like you growing. Having no self esteem and shy. My oldest son had always been shy and to see him going through what I went through as a child made me cry. I didnt want him to feel like I did. I felt like nothing. I make sure I tell him everyday how much I love him and how proud I am of him and how he can do anything if he believes in himself. My parents never encouraged me to do anything,never put me in any activities, that is why I encourage him to get involved with things and now he sees mom on the side lines as his biggest fan. He is getting more and more confindent in himself and it is a wonderful thing to see. sorry I went off on a rampage here. anyway, I and all of our fellow runners are very proud of you!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.