Runners Checkin Sat May 6

Karen-I should just say "ditto" to my post over at the 12 week challenge check-in! LOL....here it is:

GOOD MORNING, Karen! GOOD LUCK today! Have fun and enjoy every minute of the event!

I did the treadmill tempo run this morning. I extended to warm up because my legs were sore, but got right into it after that. Felt good, logged just under 6 miles. I'll be doing that one again!

last night I signed up for the Philadelphia Distance Run (half marathon) in September. I checked the training schedule for the full marathon for Marine Corps in October and the PDR fits perfectly in there with a 'shorter' weekend long run (since when is 13 miles short? LOL). PERFECT! As soon as registration opens for Marine Corps, I'm in!

Have an awesome weekend, ladies.

Gayle

no running for me today. I will be at a pilates continuing ed course all day today. I hope it goes fast. I will miss both my sons soccer games today. no happy about that as I love to watch him play!!!

goodluck to all who have races this weekend,we will have you in our thoughts.

have a nice day everyone:)

GOOD LUCK KAREN!!!!!!!!!!!! You are going to do great! Remember...all that matters is that you have FUN! If you're not having fun and you don't feel good....what's the freaking point??? Don't worry about time...it doesn't matter! Take in all the surroundings and enjoy your family!

Take it easy at the start...maybe a light warm-up job. Ease into a comfortable pace, then if you want to push to the end...then push! Start out too fast and it is so hard to get yourself back down to were you need to be!

Enjoy your moment, and do not forget...YOU BELONG THERE!!! You are a runner and you are no different than anyone else there. They all have a history and a story, just like you! They were not all running since birth, most of them...this is their first 5K, too! YOU BELONG THERE!!!

Have FUN!

I will do 15-20 VERY EASY minutes of elliptical this a.m. A nice stretch! Then rest and EAT! Man, I love tapering! Except for the "no weights"...I MISS MY DUMBBELLS!! I MISS CATHE! I almost put in a Cathe...just to hear her voice!:7 But I knew if I did...I'd just start curling and pressing right with her!

TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!TOMORROW!!!

Good Luck Karen! Good Luck Elaine!

It's TOMORROW Sarah!;)

No running for me today. Supposed to be High Step Challenge but I have lots to do so it may turn into a rest day instead and I will do HSC tomorrow. We'll see how the day goes....:)

Good luck to everyone racing today!!!

Karen -- I'm sending you good vibes. I love Sarah's words of support.

Sarah -- I'm copying down your philosophy of how to be in a race and feel like a "real" runner. I'm doing a half-marathon June 4 and feel self conscious about being a novice. But I'm at peace with it. Good luck on your race

Gayle -- great that you had a good treadmill workout and that your body is recovering after your amazing race. Fantastic that you're on board for another and then a marathon, as Wayne and Garth say: "I'm not worthy." You inspire.

Wendy -- enjoy your rest. I took a week off last week and felt very good resting and better starting up again this week.

Laura-- sorry you will miss your kids' games. Enjoy the Pilates course. It sounds fun

Today I ran my long run: 11 miles. I truly cannot believe I did it and I feel ok for now. Hopefully I won't be flat on my back in 6 hours being toted home on a stretcher!. So I am going to stretch now and go to work. Then it's a day of family activities.

I used a fuel belt with a single bottle. It was pretty comfortable, but I used Gatorade for the first time and didn't like it. So back to the drawing board on that.

Have a great day.

-Barb
:) :) :)

Good morning runners and RACERS!!!

Good luck Sarah, Karen, Elaine and Shelly!!!

GOOD LUCK SARAH..I can FEEL your excitemwnt!!

Mattea...hope the DOMS is better today

Wendy..enjoy your rest day.

Elaine...I know you will do well today. I agree and also don't do alot of shorter races during my long distance training.

Kathy...yes I can recommend one Bryan Kest http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WTWYC/103-7388300-0331834?v=glance&n=130 3 workouts. Thanks...my allergies seem better..:)

Barb..the hand held did take some time to get used to, but on my runs where there is not any water it really comes in handy and it works for me. I didn't do well with Gatordae either. I have tried a few myself and currently use Accelerade. Good job on the 11 miles!

Gayle...AWESOME pic...you look way focused like amy runners I have seen!! Looks like you have the year figured out with races!!!

Thank you Laura..:)...happy to help. I hope your 14 mile run goes well. Sorry you have to miss your son's soccer games...at least they play alot of them!

Shelly...Good luck...I'll be sending good running vibes you you...:)

Christine..I'd stick with 5 miles, maybe 6 next week. I hope you and Amy have a great hike! I am not sure that I ever followed a half marathon training plan, as my 1st half was a long time ago probably before training plans were out there!!!

Karen...good luck and I'm glad the Yoga helped. I can't wait for you to report back!!

No run for me today. I will tackle TLT's BBBB and work those glutes!!

Have a great day...:)

Have fun Karen and Good LUCK!!! And as Sarah says - don't worry about your time. Just enjoy! Oh yeah - let us know how it goes!

Elaine - enjoy your 10k!

Shelly - enjoy your race as well!

Sarah - one more day!! YEAH!

Barb - can't wait until I can run 11 miles - I'm in awe! :)

Laura - enjoy the 14 mile run.

Carole - have fun with BBBB - I love that one!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will stick to 5 miles. Tucker and I will be running it soon. I'm ready! Full of energy from my day off. I'll being doing Legs and Back afterwards (glutton for punishment - you think?).

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Morning everyone,
I hit the gym this morning and did my lower body workout at about 75% of my normal weights and felt good. I followed that up with Cardio Coach Volume 3 on the elliptical and came home and did segment #1 of Total Body Stretching. I'm starting to feel good, so I think my weights can go back to my normal poundage this week but I'm holding off running again until Tuesday. Oh, does anyone else's toes fall asleep on the elliptical? I had to walk the cool down because my poor toes were getting numb!

Good luck Sarah, Karen, Elaine and Shelly!!!

Sarah....I checked out the Flying Pig Marathon website and it looks like SO much fun! I'm so excited for you, one more day!

Wendy...I'm going to start incorporating more rest days in myself. Enjoy!

Elaine...best wishes on your race, I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Carole....THANKS! I'm ordering it today. I pulled out my Rodney Yee Yoga for Athletes to do tomorrow. I used to take an hour and a half yoga class with my daughter at the community center a few years ago. I forget how much I love the feeling after....

Barb..ugh, I'm not a Gatorade drinker, either. LOL, yeah...my water bottle hiding must be pretty amusing for the other runners/bikers on the jog path! GREAT job on the 11 miles, that's so awesome!

Gayle...loved the pic! I'm going to hold off pre-registering for the Distance Run until next month. We have until 6/30 to get the best price. Between the hotel for the marathon, some new Amy Bento workouts, new Cardio Coach downloads, etc., etc.....my fitness life is putting me in the poor house! :eek:

Laura.. ...awww, sorry you have to miss your son's game. :(

Shelly...good luck on your race, after I read your tempo run I think you REALLY need to run a marathon, lol! Thanks for your comment on my pic, I ordered that one for posterity. I hang my medals and pics in a corner of my cubicle at work. I get teased, but I don't care, lol!

Christine..enjoy your hike. I agree with everyone else, your doing great at 5 miles for a week or two until your training plan catches up with you.

Karen...how'd the race go? I'm so excited for you, I can't wait to hear!

Hi Mattea! :)

Kathy G

Karen-Best of luck! Can't wait to hear your results!:) }(

Gayle-You are so fit and such an inspiration! I have to admit I'm jealous of your times!

Laura-Sorry you have to miss out on time with your sons, but you are doing something they can be proud of as well!

Sarah-Aren't you running a race or something sometime soon;-) ;-) ;-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Wendy-I love HSC don't you? Just the music is enough to get me into that workout!

Barb-11 miles! Your out"long"running me by one mile! I'm going to need to step it up:p What didn't you like about Gatorade? I used the watermelon flavor last week and it really helped with my long run.

Carole-Yes thanks the lower body DOMS are better, but instead of yoga I did GSC&T yesterday, so I have a whole new set of DOMS to contend with, LOL! I actually did all 72 pushups, on my toes, no extra resting time--right with Cathe and crew!!!! Glad you're allergies are feeling better. I just read that dandelion root is also supposed to be excellent as well as increased vitamin C.

Christine-Sounds like you're on your way to some DOMS tomorrow!

Kathy-Glad you're starting to feel back to normal. I've had the same problem with my toes on the elliptical and honestly that's one of the reasons I prefer the Arc Trainer. But I find that I can alleviate most of it if I play with my foot position and make sure I keep my laces a little extra loose. Oh, and Hi right back at ya!:)

My run yesterday only turned out to be a little over 5 milesx( but I made it in about 55 min. and so felt really great about that!
Today was Imax 1 and Coremax 2--gearing up for the "long run" tomorrow!
Mattea

Elaine, Karen, and Sarah – Good luck on your races this weekend. I can’t wait to hear how it goes and how much fun you had.

Gayle – I took a look at that treadmill run. It looks really tough. You are amazing for doing that a week after your race.

Laura – Hope you have a good running rest day. How was the pilates course?

Barb – 11 miles, that is great. I hope to get to that mileage someday.

Carole – How was BBBB? Do you have any of the other TLTs? They are on my to get list whenever I have some extra $$.

Christine – How did your 5 miles go?

Kathy – My toes don’t fall asleep on the elliptical, but on the stairmaster. It is really annoying, isn’t it?

Here is the report from the runner’s forum tortoise. I ran 5.5 miles in 1 hour today. The last time that I ran for 1 hour I only made it 5.2 miles. Woohoo!!! I was really dying toward the end, but made it. Now I need to stretch.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Karin

ETA - Mattea, looks like you had a good workout today. How long are you planning on running tomorrow? I hope that you have a good one.

Hey all - I knocked 4 minutes off my 5 miles! I am so excited! Nice run today. Just a nice easy pace, I feel good! Came back, did Legs and Back, Ab Ripper X and 10 minutes of Yoga for Athletes. Burned major calories! I'm kind of surprised I feel this good after looking at my calorie burn! :+

A side note, part of the run is a dirt path with little rocks on it. My dog hates that part. He hates getting anything in his paws. He's a very clean dog. When I was training him for search and rescue we used to call him Sir Priss because he would literally stop and wait for me to clean the prickers out of his paws (other dogs would race right through without even thinking about it). And heaven forbid if anything got caught in his "Pants" (he has no tail, but he has a very bushy butt). So we were getting some strange looks - I was way out in front, and there's Tucker lagging behind. Goofy dog... Now that you know way more about my dog than you ever cared to know... :p

Karin - that's fabulous! I did 5 in 50 minutes, so 5.5 in an hour is not far off! And you're improving! That's all that matters. We can race together - we have the same speed!

Hey, everybody! PROGRESS! I SEE PROGRESS, ladies! That's always good!!! Keep up the good, hard, STEADY work and it will keep improving.

I just wanted to tell some other people who are nuts about running like me...people who would appreciate it...My mom has been bringing my boys to all my races. I've asked her to, because it's so very important to me that they see a good example; a healthy example. Anyway, after Disney, she said she was so proud of me and that I inspired her, so she began walking. I took her to the running shoe specialty store and got her a new pair of sneaks and OFF she went.

TODAY...she calls me and says she's on her way over to my hous (they live just 5 minustes away) and when she got out of the car, she held up a bib number! She signed up for AND WALKED her FIRST 5K TODAY! I am so pumped for her, and now she's asking me who can watch the boys while we BOTh partake in the local races! LOL The only negative thing is that I wish I could have been there to see her (I coulnd't do the run because of older DS's First Holy Communion commitments today). My dad surprised her by being on the sidelines at mile 2.5! So at least she has some personal support out there!

I am so proud. Not only am I setting a good example for my boys, but also my MOM!!!!!

Thanks for letting me brag about her!

Gayle

Oh Gayle - I'm tearing up here! How wonderful!!! You have every right to brag about her! Thanks so much for sharing!

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm back from my 10K. All in all I'm happy with the outcome but I tend to be hard on myself so I've been critiquing my effort since before I crossed the finish line! LOL!!

My time was 51:54 which translates to an 8:21 pace. I placed 2nd in my age group but placed the same last year when I ran it in 54 minutes. Go figure!

Can't wait to hear how Karen did on her very first race!!!!

Christine, Way to go!! Improving is the biggest motivator there is!

Carole, What? No running today? Slacker!! (just kidding, of course)

Hello and thanks for the inspiration from the rest of you. (I LOVE this check-in): Gayle, Laura, Sarah, Wendy, Barb, Kathy and Mattea.

elaine that is great!!!! You should pat yourself on the back!!!

the pilates course wasnt too bad. I just have a hard time sitting and listening for to long. It got better once we started doing the moves. But I still would have rather done cathe workout or just ran.

My sons team won both of their games!!!!
hope everyone else that is racing has a good time,let us know how it goes.

goodluck sarah!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.