Runner's Check In May 3 Wednesday

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Hi girls.

Well I'm going to try to get to the gym this morning for a run. I've loaded up my new mp3 player w/songs so I'm ready to roll! I will shoot for 2.5-3 miles if I go.

Aside from that I have PLB and abs on the schedule. PLB will probably be a premix though.

Have a great day!:)

Good Morning Wendy and other Runners.

Sarah Sarah- it's getting close

All of those racing with me on Sat. I have to say "CAN YOU FEEL THE EXCITEMENT IN THE AIR" I can . I have actually been dreaming about it in my sleep here lately.

Today is PLB for me and some ab work. Off to workout. Have a great run Wendy and other.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Good morning, ladies! I didn’t make it back online at all yesterday, so I’ve got a backlog of chatting to get out of the way first! LOL:::

Wendy-I’m keeping my before shots private, but that’s up to you! ENJOY your new mp3 player. I love mine!

Karen-THANKS for posting Sarah’s run. WOW on that, LOL. It looks tough, but I’m excited to give it a try as soon as my legs recoop!

Mattea-how’d those 15 flights of stairs treat you yesterday? LOL

Kristi-I hope DD feels better SOON and FAST! Poor thing!

SARAH! 3 MORE DAYS! LOL I’m so pumped up for you for the weekend!

Carole-LOVE (in a sick sort of way, lol) the headwind for added intensity! Are you freestyling legs these days or are you doing something else? I remember you said you were going to stop freestyle to concentrate on running, but I’m curious what you’re doing.

Marcia-nice to see you on this check-in! Did you get the BFL book yet?????? As for your question from yesterday. Right now, I’m in between races and training like you. I pretty much have the month of May to ‘play’ with before I dig into officially training for Marine Corps. I’m not really sure what I want to do, but I think I’m going to do lower body weights 2x, upper body weights 2x (may use a total body workout like ME or PH to get that second workout), then cardio 3-5 times per week. I was going to follow the May rotation, but I may stray…we’ll see.

Kathy-are you SERIOUS? Are you going to do the Philly Distance run? I’d love to meet up with you. And as for time….your time is NOT that far behind mine! LOL OH!!!!! I’d be so excited to meet you! Be sure to let me know for sure if you’re going! That would be tons of fun!

Judy-if you do the posted tempo run, let us know what you think. I’m honestly anxious to try it out.

Elaine-so who all is doing Wine Country ½ in July??? I’d love to join everybody, but finances are pretty much telling me I need to stay rather local (for now, lol). Is there a link for the run??? I’d like to hear what DH’s friend had to say about Big Sur!

Christine-funny comment about the smoothy! LOL Sometimes, even now, I can’t believe we run as far as we do! If you would have told me just 2 years ago that I’d be running a 26.2 mile marathon, I’d call you CRAZY!!!!!!! LOL HATE shorts that ride up! LOL

Thomasina-GREAT JOB signing up for the 10K. Step 1…..DONE! When and where??? And…did you just put me up to a challenge for Philly? Did I hear you say 1:40???????? LOL I’ll keep that tucked away in the back of my mind!

WOW! Glad I got all that off my chest. Now, I was at the Runner’s World website checking out the OFFICIAL numbers from this Sunday’s half! Guess what?!?!?!?! My official CHIP time was 1:51:10!!! 8:30 pace! I did just a bit better than I thought! The original time of 1:52:07 was the clock time, I forgot all about the CHIP! THANK HEAVENS FOR CHIP! HE’S THE MAN!!!!!!! LOL

As for my workout this morning....Step Works, then abs from PS, then one set of push-ups to failure (36 today). If I find the time today, I'd like to add weights for upper body, but we'll see.

Have an awesome WEDNESDAY!

Gayle

Gayle,

I thought that's what had agreed upon so I'm going to do the same...no need to be the only one to divulge them, right? :p

Hey ladies....quick question:

What do you all do with all your HARDWARE (aka medals) from all the races you do???

I'm slowly acumulating them here at home and I'm wondering what everybody else does with them? I'm thinking about a little shelf with pegs to hang them from. I'm also thinking about doing a shadow box for my Disney medal, since it was my FIRST ONE!

What about bib numbers? I'm putting together a separate runnign scrapbook for myself with my bibs. Each race gets its own page or spread. I include the race and my personal results, comments, experience for that race, etc.

I'm just so nostalgic! LOL

Oh, Karen & Sarah...quesiton on that running tempo workout you posted. When you're saying "6.0 mph" are you teally talking 6 MILES PER HOUR or SETTING # 6.0 on your TM???? Or are they the same thing on all treadmills? I've always been curious if all treadmill settings are the same or not. THANKS! I think I'm doing this run Satruday in honor of you ladies!!!!!!!
Gayle

Good morning runners

Hope you have a good run Wendy!

Yes Karen. I will say the 6 miles in that wind yesterday did feel like 20!! My allergies got better once I got to work! I bet you are getting quite excited for your 5K...it'll be so fun!!

Gayle...if I didn't have allergies the wind might not be so bad!! I am working my legs 3 times a week, 2 standing and 1 floor, that seems to be better than freestlye for my higher running mileage weeks. That is cool about your better chip time!! Have fun with those push-ups!!! As for my medals from runs. I keep my 1st to 3rd place ones hanging on 2 trophies I have. All the others, as you always get one for the marathon completion, they hang in my workout room on a bookshelf. I don't keep my bib numbers often.

Marcia...I'd probably work up my running close to the weekly mileage you will start with on the 12 week program. Or just do a few comfortable runs a week until you start.

Kathy..I train similar to marathon training, but try and get a few more miles in weekly. For my 3 longest runs, 20, 22 and 24. Not that this always comes out...:)

Christine....yuk, hate the shorts riding up...:(

Tomasina! Way to go signing up for a 10K!!! I am sure my 10K time would not be fast, it has been so long since I ran one! I take ZyrtecD for my allergies, its just that the high pollen count has affected so many people here, hoping it'll be gone soon. Yesterday was just miserable...

Today I am doing GS Back & Biceps, abs and a 4 mile run.

Have a great day...:)

Good morning all, it's always so inspiring reading these posts.
I'm working a string of 12 hr nights so didn't have time to post yesterday, it's a little calmer tonight. I got in an easy 3 mile run and Supersets when I woke up. Today, I'll do a tempo run for 30 min.
That'll be pretty much it until I race on Saturday. Have fun with
your running and workouts today!!
ShellyC

Gayle that is the treadmill speed I set to 6.0 mph and then bump up.1 mph. I'm not sure how other treadmills work but for this workout that would be just a 6.0 speed on the treadmill. Oh, I would defiently do something with my medals and race numbers. Maybe a curio cabinet. I'll tell you one thing when I get my race number Sat don't be surprised if I don't take if off till Christmas. LOL . Mabye when I get more races under my belt than I won't walk around Wal mart with my number on anymore. LOL

Carol- I hope the allergies are better today. My husband suffers from them seasonaly. About three months ago his allergies turned into a sinus infection, into an ear, and fever. Grant it he really let it go but I know they can be nasty. Great workout.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Good morning runners.......

Gayle: I got the BFL book yesterday in the mail. I started reading it this morning and it looks like a wonderful resource. Thank you so much for lending it to me. I will probably be done with it soon and get it back to you ;-)

I am planning on a 2-3 mile run after work. I'm so excited for all of you and your races this weekend (Sarah................. :) ) GOOD LUCK!!

~Marcia~

Morning runners,
Well….I attempted a run last night but I’m sure it was more like a cross between a “slog” and a hobble, lol! I used Cardio Coach Vol. 6 and fast walked the steady states and slow jogged the challenges. I got in 4 miles, so I’m happy.

This morning was CTX Upper body and the step premix from Low Max. I’ll attempt a run/walk at the gym tomorrow morning and legs on Friday. I’m just stiffening up for some reason (maybe because I sit at a desk all day!). Oh, and the big blister on my left instep is just raw. I need to go buy some of those blister band-aids at lunch time.

Wow, how exciting…several of you have races planned the next couple of weeks. I’m really looking forward to hearing everyone’s experiences!

Gayle, yep….I’m definitely running the Philadelphia Distance Run in September. The course is REALLY nice; it starts off near the Arts Center (think Rocky, lol!) and goes through a little of downtown Philly and back along Kelly Drive and ends up near the start. Last year Deena Kastor set her record there for the half marathon, pretty cool. DH was watching all the elite athletes come in (the 5 and sub 5 minute milers) and said it was amazing. They were at a full all out sprint clear through the race! How close are you to Philly? Are you thinking of coming in the day before? I guess we can plan it the closer it gets.

Carole, thanks for the training info. That’s pretty much my plan, too….more mileage and three 20+ mile runs.

Kathy G

Good Morning Running Ladies!
Wendy-I hope that you had a great time at the gym today-New music always makes me excited for a run, lol!

Gayle-I'll let you know when I actually ever get any "hardware"! 15 flights was not so bad, I actually managed to run up the first 5 this time-it's definitely getting easier (until 12 and then it's just tiring-maybe the oxygen is thinner up there?)

Marcia-Good luck on your run! How you can run after work is beyond me, I'm very impressed.

Carole-Sounds like you are keeping on keeping on-you are the rock for us runners (and that's not just because you're ripped as well!)

Karen-I'm not racing this weekend, but I am SO excited for you}( :D

Sarah-Can we start counting in hours yet}(

Shelly-What kind of tempo run are you doing? 12 hr. shifts, ugh, ugh!

Kathy-Blister bandaids are pure genius, you'll feel instant relief, for some reason they feel better the second I put them on. Glad you are recovering, slow, but steady!

Today was a 5 mile steady state run for me and BBS from PUB and MM+some core work. I'm so excited b/c my DH suggested I order some new Cathe videos (some I just don't have on DVD yet) and they are coming today!! So I'll have 3 workouts that I've never done before and a bunch more on DVD for easy mishmoshing!!! I'm getting the RS+MIC+IMAX 1, MIS+BMax+PH, Ab Hits, and Cardio Hits--it's an end of the semester gift to myself

:7 :7
Mattea

Kathy-I'm about 90 minutes from Philly, with business traffic....faster if it's mid-day. When it gets closer, I will see what my schedule's like as far as staying the night there or not. COOL! I'm definitely going to sign up!!!

Marcia-take your time with the BFL book. No rush at all!

Karen-I didn't take my Mickey Mouse medal off for the entire weekend we were at Disney and then I couldn't stop wearing the shirt they gave us. LOL. LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I just got done cutting the grass AGAIN! Can't I just plant a veggie garden in my entire yard so I don't have to cut? LOL. I push-mowed an hour's worth but that only got me about 1/4 of the way done! LOL So I hopped on the rider, but I got a second workout pushing the first one! UGH! Wish I could pay somebody to do it! OK..enough whining!

Gayle

Good morning all! My routine is finally back to normal and that makes me a much happier person! I can't believe how I cling to the familiar!! Today I have to jump on the elliptical again because 4 year old DD is here with me and I don't want to push her in the jogger. She's heavy! But I've concluded that the elliptical is a good thing after reading a bit of Runner's World Guide To Cross-Training. I'll also do PLB.

Wendy, Whoo hooo!!! Before you know it you'll be signing up for local races and then.........MARATHON!!!!

Gayle, Gotta love those chips!! A bunch of the medals DH and I have accumulated are haning from the knob of the door in our bedroom that leads out to the deck. DD plays with them when she races up and down our very long hallway. Right now she's getting ready for a 1 mile race next month. She's do dang cute!

The 1/2 that four of us are running is here:

http://www.usraceseries.com/wchalf/raceDetails.htm

DH's friend who ran Big Sur said that it was very challenging. He did fantastic. His goal was 4:15 and he finished in 3:52, which is in the top 20% for his division! When he trained he said he switched out all of the speedwork for hill running and I would have to say it paid off!

Carole, You just amaze me!! What more can I say? I can't imagine putting in all those miles.......

Shelly, Forgive me for missing it previously, but what race are you doing on Saturday? Good luck and lots of wishes for fun coming at ya!

Marcia, Ditto what I said to Wendy!! Whoo hoo and all that stuff!!!!

Kathy, What's that rule? No speed work or long runs for 26 days after a marathon? Don't be hard on yourself for slogging!

Good morning to all the others who will be here after me or are posting simulaneously: Christine, Sarah, Thomasina, Amy....

Oh, I'm running a local 10K on Saturday to benefit the Special Olympics. I'ts 3 miles out and up a canyon then 3 back down. We do it every year and that canyon remains steep year after year!! LOL!!

Hope everyone has an awesome day with an awesome run thrown in!

Good morning all!

This morning I basically moved from bed to the couch and fell asleep again. I think my body is trying to tell me something... LOL. So, I packed up my P90X book and I'll take it to the gym this afternoon to do Shoulders and Arms and Abs. Figure I know the moves - I can do them at the gym just as well as I can in front of Tony.

Tomorrow I'm working from home... So, it's a 4/5 mile run and Power Yoga. I'm really looking forward to that.

Sarah - 3 MORE DAYS!!!!

Wendy - warning - when the bug bites, it bites hard! So, start contemplating those local 5k's - nothing like having a race to train for to keep you motivated! You're doing fabulous!

Gayle- incredible! That's is just so great! Keep an eye out for the mailman... :)

Everyone else forgive me for ignoring you - I'll come back later and chat more - just trying to get caught up with office work - how fun - eh?

Today is break day. I have a girl scout promo to do tonite to help them earn a badge on hygiene.
Last night though i did 45 minutes . I ran steady state for 37. My legs were like jelly when i got off , but I am finally doing it.
Goal for now id 5 miles in 40 minutes then i will head on.
You guys are really inspiring.
Anne
http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Hey girls.

Well, my goal went down the ol' proverbial tubes today! LOL I was sooo pre-occupied w/the darned MP3 player that I was not concentrating on what needed to be done so I got in a 2-miler again. Hopefully NEXT time I'll do better. :)

The thing with the MP3 player is that first of all, I wore the arm band and put the unit on facing the wrong direction so the headphone cord was in my way which meant I had to hold it and that annoyed me so I'll have to remember to put it on the other way next time. Second thing, and even worse, is that it came with ear buds and I am having a hard one getting/keeping the left one in and when it IS in, it hurts! UGH! So I came home and dug up the pair of small but regular over the ear headphones I got when I joined the gym and tried them out w/my player. They work so that's what I am using from now on! Problem solved! :)

I am upset that I couldn't do atleast 2.5 today but I need to let it go and try again next time. After all..who says I have to increase mileage EVERY time, right? :)

Wendy!!

Hi Wendy, I couldn't stand the ear bug that came with my MP3 too, so annoying. It kept falling out. I also have the arm band too but with my other headphones I can make it longer where I can just put it in the treadmill where the water goes which I like doing better. Anyhow enjoy your new MP3 player and Happy Birthday:) Mine is Saturday and I will be 40, yikes so your not an old fart. BTW I am also from NJ too.

Maybe I will get in a 3 mile run on my treadmill later after dinner when the meal digest.

Elaine --Thanks for recommending awhile ago Matt Fitzgerald's book on nutrition. I got the book and some others on cross training and one on performance and liked them all. Good resources. I'm learning a lot.

Good luck on your upcoming 10K.

Gayle -- a friend was less than supportive of my plan to run a 1/2 marathon in a few weeks. She wasn't mean, just encouraging me to put it off. It got me down. She also insinuated that it must be nice to have time on my hands to train -- instead of saying I manage my responsibilities well enough to work in running/training time. My kids and another friend gave me a pep talk. Your post on Monday about your success helped me recommit and feel like I can do it. So today I say: I'm going to do it (maybe not fast, but I will finish.)

Carole -- I have allergies, too. Do you take any meds for them or do you try to avoid medication? I go back and forth on whether I want to take meds. I take a 1/2-tab of Allegra when it gets bad and then I see how long it lasts me. I found when I followed th dr's recommendation for taking the meds frequently, I built up tolerance.
Also, during seasonal allergies, I avoid foods that are even a tad bit bothersome to allergies. So anything that makes my mouth burn at all (oral allergy syndrome) gets put aside until seasonal allergies pass.

Have a good day!
Barb:) :) :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.