Rubbery Chicken

lora-kate1

Cathlete
Hi everyone!

I read that Tosca Reno and Monica Brant boil their chicken breasts. I tried it out with boneless, skinless chicken breast and they landed up being fairly tasteless and rubbery. I was told that it was because all the flavor was now in the water and that I had essentially made a chicken broth. I was then told to poach the chicken and use very little water. I am sooo confused. Does anyone have any ideas?

Lora

I'm the last person who should be giving cooking advice -- ha! But just some thoughts.... first, chicken is really easy to screw up, as strange as that sounds..... I'd guess you might be overcooking it. Boiled chicken probably is going to be somewhat bland, but the other thing I wonder is if you're starting with good quality chicken -- that makes a difference, too.....

good luck!

-Beth

Here's how I poach chicken and it's really moist and yummy. You can add some spices to the water or use chicken broth to give your chicken more flavor.

Boil enough water in a frying pan to cover the chicken breasts along with some salt. Once the water reaches a boil, add the chicken breast and cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 min, then remove from heat and let sit on stove covered (with no heat) for 30 min. Shred chicken.

I didn't know that Tosca Reno advocates boiling chicken. I have her books but I must have missed it. I am a lot into clean eating but boiled chicken is just plain YUCK! At least for my taste and it doesn't sound like you are thrilled either :)

If I don't broil my chicken, I use a non-stick pan (with a little water and lemon juice or some veggie broth, if needed). You can also marinate the chicken breast before broiling or putting it in the pan.

Otherwise you can put your chicken and some veggies (drizzled it with a little olive oil or water) in parchment paper and bake it in the oven.

HTH

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.