RT Dread...normal?!

ocd30

I will be one of the new comers attending this week’s RT, and I am completely and totally DREADING it!! At the time I signed up, it sounded like a great idea, however, the closer the time comes the more sick I feel. I see Cathe’s FB post about the FedEx truck on its way to WI and instead of feeling joy and excitement, like all the other Cathe fans, I feel like I want to pick up the phone and cancel the whole darn thing! Is this a normal reaction to a first time road trip? I’m not anxious or nervous about meeting new people, looking silly, or not being able to keep up with the group. I don’t feel nervous at all actually, more like I made a mistake in booking this trip and maybe I should back out. Thoughts anyone?
~amanda

Yes. Totally Normal. This is a new experience. You are not sure how it is going to turn out. But hopefully I can relieve some of your reluctancy. First of all, I have never met a single person who went on one of Cathe's road trips who didn't have a good time. Most people actually want to do a another after doing one. I'm on #10. Yes probably crazier than most. I have met some of my best friends at the road trips. We keep in touch by email and facebook and try to plan to attend future road trips together as reunions. If you love working out with Cathe, getting to met her in person is so exciting. She is so down to earth and really takes the time to be available at the road trips. As she has said, it is her time to give back to her loyal fans.

If you back out, you will always wonder what it would have been like. Since you have already paid for it, you should come and see for yourself. I will be totally surprised if you come and you don't have one of the best times of your life. Look forward to meeting you.

Jean

Oh....Don't back out Amanda, this is my first road trip with Cathe, hell I didn't even know Cathe until this past year while I was trying to find new workout ideas after having my 2nd child! (I'm glad I needed a new step, If I remember right, it came with the guts and butts!) I'm coming alone, and I should be nervous about that but instead I am so busy with school that I can't even think about it. I'm expecting it to hit me while I'm driving out there. :confused:You are not alone, I have absolutely no idea of what to expect except to have an experience I will never forget...hopefully in a good way (maybe I'll score a couple of new pairs of workout pants too!) Looking forward to meeting you!

Amanda,

I feel the EXACT same way. But we have to do it or we'll regret it. I can't wait to meet you...it's like we are the same person!

Susan

I'm pretty nervous myself. I have absolutely no schema / frame of reference in place for something like this. I've never gone on a trip alone, never taken a group fitness class, never done some of the moves Cathe does in her videos that I don't yet own!

I'm horribly nervous, but I know once I get through the first few minutes of meeting new people and Cathe's first class, I'll feel just fine. (I think :eek:)

I'm very excited and nervous as well. This is my first Road Trip. I'm used to working out in my basement by myself. Working out with a huge group will be a completely new experience for me. I'm pretty shy, which is what makes me really nervous. I'm hoping that being around people that have the same interest as me, that it'll be easier for me to talk to people I've never met before.

All of us newbies can be nervouse together. :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone!! See you all on Friday!

Gosh.. can't believe it's only a couple days away.

Brenda

I registered to the forum just so I could reply to the thread (I've been lurking, though). I am TOTALLY there with you. Almost had a panic attack today. I'm very shy too and only work out by myself when everyone else is gone - the last time I worked out in a gym was about 20 years ago. I tried on workout clothes this morning and decided I looked fat in everything and I convinced myself that everyone in the class was going to look at me and think "what in the world is she doing here". I know I'm being silly and deep down I know I'll have fun (and I can't wait to meet Cathe although I'm probably going to be too shy to approach her). I did Push Pull (just finished it) and as Cathe is grabbing a barbell with 40 pounds on it mine is about 15 pounds (pretty much just the bar), as she's grabbing 20 pound dumbbells I'm grabbing 5. So yes, I'm panicked too if it helps you feel better :eek:

I think all of us painfully shy people should make it a point to meet at a certain spot on Friday and just stand there and stare at each other because odds are we are all too shy to introduce ourselves :eek:

I registered to the forum just so I could reply to the thread (I've been lurking, though). I am TOTALLY there with you. Almost had a panic attack today. I'm very shy too and only work out by myself when everyone else is gone - the last time I worked out in a gym was about 20 years ago. I tried on workout clothes this morning and decided I looked fat in everything and I convinced myself that everyone in the class was going to look at me and think "what in the world is she doing here". I know I'm being silly and deep down I know I'll have fun (and I can't wait to meet Cathe although I'm probably going to be too shy to approach her). I did Push Pull (just finished it) and as Cathe is grabbing a barbell with 40 pounds on it mine is about 15 pounds (pretty much just the bar), as she's grabbing 20 pound dumbbells I'm grabbing 5. So yes, I'm panicked too if it helps you feel better :eek:

I think all of us painfully shy people should make it a point to meet at a certain spot on Friday and just stand there and stare at each other because odds are we are all too shy to introduce ourselves :eek:

OK, I really don't think anyone is going to think that about anyone and if they do, then they are the ones with an issue. I am a relative newcomer to this board and I think this group of people is really top-notch--so I don't think there's going to be any of that nonsense.

I don't judge others by their size, or how much they lift, or how high they jump. I am going to meet some people and to have fun. :)

To all you first time RT'ers: I've been reading your posts and I felt exactly the same way before my first RT so please don't think that you're crazy because you're having these feelings! But believe me, the minute everything starts, your fears will go away and you will have a blast. And even if you are normally shy, please try to introduce yourself to as many people as you can and try to sit with someone different at each meal so that you get to meet more people. You don't want to go home with any regrets and especially when it comes to meeting Cathe. She will put you at ease instantly!!!!

And one more thing to remember-we were all first timers at one time too! So no one will judge you! And honestly we will all be working our hardest to keep up with Cathe so we don't have time to even notice anyone else during the workouts.

I'm very anxious to meet all of you! I'll be the one in the back during the workouts- be sure to come and say hi so I can introduce myself.

Bev

Yes, what Bev said...it is completely normal to have those nerves. I PROMISE you, the minute Cathe turns the music on for the first workout and we all get moving, you newbies will have have smiles on your faces! No one, & I mean no one, cares who does what. I personally am 6-7 pounds heavier then normal and even though I can't stand it, I know the type of people Cathe attracts and honestly, no one cares how chubby we might be or what our workout clothes look like or if we stumble over both our RIGHT feet! :p It's all in FUN (no competition at all) and you can take breaks anytime too. Everyone's fitness levels are diff but we all just do what WE can! No worries...Come say hi to me too! I'm the kookie, nutty one remember? And, believe it or not, I also have a shy side that comes out occasionally too! Sooo, we're all in this together! I'll see you ALL on Friday! Wheeee!!!!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling. I'm not really nervous about meeting people though, it's more strange things like how much food should I pack? I'm local, so I don't have the added stress of flying. (If I had to fly I would have canceled, or probably not even signed up, that added stress would have totally put me over the edge ;) ) I worry about if I'm going to have enough time to eat, or what if I get hungry and I can't eat because we have a picture or Cathe time, or something else scheduled at the exact time that I get hungry! I don't know why I am so worried about food. I am a migraine sufferer and lack of food can sometimes trigger an episode...maybe that's why.

I'm totally freaking out about my kids too. My 10 yr old has a baseball tournament this weekend, and I think about things like, are my parents going to dress him in the right Underarmor shirt and correct baseball pants? Or, what if he gets hurt at the game? Is he going to get enough food in him to play hours and hours of baseball (there's the food thing again!) My 9 yr old has the flu, what if he's not better by Friday? Can I leave a vomiting child? And the dog, who's going to walk the dog!? :( These things rattle through my brain all night long like a crazy person!!

I will be so happy when Friday night is here, I can't even tell you all...that is if I don't totally wimp out and just cancel the whole thing! Thanks everyone for listening to my rant; I'm not usually one for publically expressing myself.

~amanda

You HAVE to go - I agree that you'll regret it if you don't. The kids are in good hands and if something should happen since you're local so people will be able to reach you easy enough. There are so may little snack packs that you can just put in your workout bag to munch on between workouts or even while standing in line somewhere. I get headaches too and snack a lot during the day...I didn't even think about the food thing. I'll have extra snacks if you need something :).

I actually had RT nightmares last night about meeting no one and sitting in my room and being sad. :eek: Having been to a RT before, you'd think I'd be less nervous, but well, once an introvert...

-Lisa

Totally normal.

It'll be a blast though, I promise. This is my 5th and I'm still anxious. What to pack, the trip in, 4 days away from my kid, can I keep up, will it be the blast I remember? My husband laughs every year. He says I'm always nervous, but I come home with that grin on my face, vowing to do as long as I am able. He hasn't been wrong yet.

I'll see you all in 2 days. :p:D:)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling. I'm not really nervous about meeting people though, it's more strange things like how much food should I pack? I'm local, so I don't have the added stress of flying. (If I had to fly I would have canceled, or probably not even signed up, that added stress would have totally put me over the edge ;) ) I worry about if I'm going to have enough time to eat, or what if I get hungry and I can't eat because we have a picture or Cathe time, or something else scheduled at the exact time that I get hungry! I don't know why I am so worried about food. I am a migraine sufferer and lack of food can sometimes trigger an episode...maybe that's why.

I'm totally freaking out about my kids too. My 10 yr old has a baseball tournament this weekend, and I think about things like, are my parents going to dress him in the right Underarmor shirt and correct baseball pants? Or, what if he gets hurt at the game? Is he going to get enough food in him to play hours and hours of baseball (there's the food thing again!) My 9 yr old has the flu, what if he's not better by Friday? Can I leave a vomiting child? And the dog, who's going to walk the dog!? :( These things rattle through my brain all night long like a crazy person!!

I will be so happy when Friday night is here, I can't even tell you all...that is if I don't totally wimp out and just cancel the whole thing! Thanks everyone for listening to my rant; I'm not usually one for publically expressing myself.

~amanda

Amanda,

Your dread is totally distracting me from my dread, so I guess a thank you is in order :)

Your discussion about food cracked me up. See my post from yesterday (it's on page 5 if it doesn't take you there automatically)

http://cathe.com/forum/f127/shall-we-start-countdown-288494/index5.html

You are seriously my twin!!!!! Weren't you the one who wished the road trip wasn't planned to begin with so that you didn't have to make this decision? (just like me again....)

Give me your address... I'm leaving my house around 11:30 on Friday and I should be in LG by 1pm, I'll pick you up :D

My "dread" is like yours. I am not nervous about keeping up, etc. I just am not sure why I would plan a weekend to spend with people I don't even know taking time away from my family. My DH and 2 DDs are coming up Friday evening to just take advantage of the hotel room and will spend the day at the waterpark on Saturday. I decided to skip dinner and the after dinner activities that night to spend with them, but they won't let me LOL

I cannot wait to meet you!

Susan

Amanda,

Your dread is totally distracting me from my dread, so I guess a thank you is in order :)

Your discussion about food cracked me up. See my post from yesterday (it's on page 5 if it doesn't take you there automatically)

http://cathe.com/forum/f127/shall-we-start-countdown-288494/index5.html

You are seriously my twin!!!!! Weren't you the one who wished the road trip wasn't planned to begin with so that you didn't have to make this decision? (just like me again....)

Give me your address... I'm leaving my house around 11:30 on Friday and I should be in LG by 1pm, I'll pick you up :D

My "dread" is like yours. I am not nervous about keeping up, etc. I just am not sure why I would plan a weekend to spend with people I don't even know taking time away from my family. My DH and 2 DDs are coming up Friday evening to just take advantage of the hotel room and will spend the day at the waterpark on Saturday. I decided to skip dinner and the after dinner activities that night to spend with them, but they won't let me LOL

I cannot wait to meet you!

Susan

Susan,

LOL, you are TOTALLY my twin. Yes, I was the one that felt sick when Cathe confirmed this RT. Instead of feeling joy, excitement and gratitude for the opportunity, I thought "crap, now what am I going to do?!" I just read your post in the "shall we start the count down" your food comments....hilarious! I don't know why you're so focused on food? Why am I so fixated on it too?! I keep thinking if I'm going to have enough food, when am I going to eat my food, how much food should I bring? I'm even thinking about my kids' food intake while I'll be gone. My son is playing in a baseball tournament all weekend. On Saturday he plays continually from noon to 5 pm. My first thought when I saw that was, well, someone better pack him snacks to eat on the bench. Isn't he going to get hungry? Again...what's with the food fixation!?

I actually would have brought my kids with if it weren't for this darn baseball. I considered driving home during our Saturday afternoon break to watch a game, but my mother told me she doesn't want to see my face until Sunday afternoon, hahah! I think everyone will be happy to see me go. Am I this crazy all the time, hmm, I wonder?

I'll be looking for you Friday afternoon. I'll be the twitchy control freak, staking out the vending machines in the lobby while going over the schedule again and again in my mind, making sure I haven't missed anything! :D

~amanda

Thank you nice ladies for your reassuring comments! I too am nervous, but I think I am more curious than nervous. I hope that feeling prevails through Friday. Right now I'm just trying not to overthink my workout ensembles.

I guess I should add that this is my first roadtrip too. And you can tell from my post count that I mostly just lurk.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.