Roku in Canada

Tanny T

Hello-
I'm sorry to keep nagging about this, but based on the answers to my previous post regarding Roku in Canada, I subscribed to Cathe on Demand. Yet when I tried to add the channel to my Roku, it gave me this message:

"We're Sorry. This channel is not available in your area."

So what is exactly happening here? I am quite fed up with all of this. I do not have the ability to view the videos on my TV any other way.

Please help!
Thank you.

This actually a bug with Roku that affects a lot of private channels. We tried contacting Roku, but they weren't of any help. But we did do some research on the web and found other sites with the same problem and a work-around and copied theif fix below.:

You can still add private channels in your case if you go to:
https://my.roku.com/account and use the "Add a Private Channel" link.
Then you type in the name of the channel (ie, "Cathe OnDemand") and then go to your Roku, use Settings, then System Update, and it will install the new channel."

Let us know if this works or if you have problems.

This actually a bug with Roku that affects a lot of private channels. We tried contacting Roku, but they weren't of any help. But we did do some research on the web and found other sites with the same problem and a work-around and copied theif fix below.:

You can still add private channels in your case if you go to:
https://my.roku.com/account and use the "Add a Private Channel" link.
Then you type in the name of the channel (ie, "Cathe OnDemand") and then go to your Roku, use Settings, then System Update, and it will install the new channel."

Let us know if this works or if you have problems.
When I try this, there is no "Add a Private Channel" link. When I go to the Support page, this is what it says:

"To add a private or beta chain, you must first obtain a code string developer.....
Third, you must enter the code provided by the developer channel here"

So is there an access code for Cathe? I tried typing in just CatheOnDemand where it asks for a code, but it said that it needed a code.
Maybe the work around doesn't work in Canada?

Thank you

Hello Tanny T, instead of putting in "Cathe OnDemand" into the "Channel access code" box after you click "Add Channel", type in "HXWJV" (without the quotes). This should work for you.

Hello-
This code works (yay!), but unfortunately now the Cathe channel is not added on my home page. When I look online at my account, I see that the channel is there, but I do not see it on my TV home page. I have tried the System Update numerous times, and I have also waited three days. Is there anything more you can do now at your end, or is this a Roku issue?

Thank you so much for all you've done so far. I'm so close!

Hello-
This code works (yay!), but unfortunately now the Cathe channel is not added on my home page. When I look online at my account, I see that the channel is there, but I do not see it on my TV home page. I have tried the System Update numerous times, and I have also waited three days. Is there anything more you can do now at your end, or is this a Roku issue?

Thank you so much for all you've done so far. I'm so close!
Did you restart your Roku? It normally takes about 24 hours for the channel to appear on your Roku 3, but if you’d like to speed that up, go to Settings > System > System Restart on your device—which will reboot it—after which Cathe OnDemand will appear at the bottom of your channel list.

Hello-I restarted my Roku numerous times and still the channel wouldn't show. Finally I called Roku Canada support and went through extensive trouble shooting with them. After all of that failed, they took my problem away to do more research. When they got back to me today, they informed me that it was an issue with the channel developer, not with Roku. Can anyone speak to that please? I am really frustrated by this!

Thank you.

Unfortunately you talked to a person at Roku who just doesn't know what they're talking about. With Roku we set regional settings on our end by selecting a check box for Canada in the developer Roku settings. There is nothing else we can do on our end besides selecting this check box for Canada and it is selected. This is a Roku bug that if you research it on Google you will find others with the same problem. I don't know of anyone that has ever received a response from Roku on how to solve the issue or if Roku really understands what the problem is. I was waiting to hear from you and now that I have I'll try reaching out to Roku again. However, unless this problem can make it to a higher level of admin support on the Roku end we will probably get another canned response. But first let me ask you this, did you buy your Roku from Canadian store or here in the USA?

My Roku was purchased in Canada. I really appreciate all that you've done-everyone here is 100% more helpful than the people at Roku! I honestly have gotten to the point where I'm just going to buy a Chromecast and be done.

Thank you.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that whatever Roku uses to know the geo-location of a user does not have you in the database. Thus, even though other people in Canada can watch the channel, you can't because Roku does not know where you are. There could be some other reason for this and I'll let you know if I ever hear something, but with Roku it is very difficult to reach a person who has the ability to solve this problem.

Hello-

So you're saying that others in Canada can view the channel using Roku??
Just wondering if you ever got this sorted? I'm in Canada and I have a Roku - was considering purchasing the streaming service from Cathe but want to make sure I will be able to use it. Thanks in advance for your reply, I really hope you were able to get it to work!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.