rock climbing anyone??

pixie9

Cathlete
Last night DH and I went to a rock climbing gym for the first time with some friends and OMG was it fun!! We only did about 4 or so climbs but I think they were about 30+ feet(maybe even 40, I'm bad with eyeing measurements). Has anyone else done this? If so, what did you think??

Carolyn

Carolyn, were you indoors at one of those gyms designed for the purpose, or outdoors?

I've never done this, but it does look like fun!

Marie

Hi Marie,
It was actually inside. It was like a warehouse but with rock climbing walls everywhere. Some were only 7 or 8 feet tall while others looked like they went up like 4 stories or so! It was a blast once I got over my fear.

carolyn

Hi Marie,
I am a regular outdoor climber and I train at the gym once in a while. I love to climb and it is very good for your balance and overall training. I am thinking you were top-roped. Does your gym also have bouldering. That is with no rope and that is some great training too!

Enjoy it - it is a great sport for women and so intense! Once you get good at it you can start following the routes and your sense of accomplishment will shock you!

I am very well informed on gear and pretty much anything that has to do with climbing, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Melissa

Keep your head in line. Your butt will follow.

http://www.picturetrail.com/pellmel

Hi Carolyn,

I have done this before. Actually, the day my DH proposed to me (also my birthday :)!), he planned a day chock full of activities.

One of the things we did was go to a rock climbing gym. I really liked it because it was so different from anything I had ever done. I am afraid of heights but I was able to get past it and had a lot of fun:)! I know the place that we went to actually had a membership program which sounded interesting.

I like exploring different types of active hobbies ... thanks for reminding me of how much fun this is ... :)

Cath :)

Melissa,
The gym did have bouldering. In fact that's how we "warmed up". It was quite a challenge for me but did give me some confidence.
The other climbs were top-roped and let me tell you, they really terrified me at first. But once I did one, the others were a blast!!
I was so impressed at all of those women just climbing away like it was nothing! I have a new-found respect for you climbers out there because this is one cool a$$-kicking sport!

Carolyn

I would love to try this. There's actually a place near me that does it. But I'm SO afraid of heights. I wonder if I started on the smaller walls and worked my way up, would I be okay? I guess the only way to find out is to try, right?

You should try it. DH and I did it for a work outing and you honestly don't think about the height when you're up there. You're looking at the wall and trying to figure out where to position your hands and feet next - not looking down - so that helps. You're also strapped in very securely and as long as you trust your belayer you have nothing to worry about. DH belayed for me and I belayed for him and we both trust each other. :)

Sue

It is a lot of fun. I used to go a gym nearby for that, but they are not there anymore. :-( I also climbed on a cruise ship we were last summer.

There is nothing I like better than to watch someone crack climb. If you see someone super ripped heading for a crack, watch them. It is pretty specialized and I have totally screwed up feet and can't do it. But the balance, strength and speed it takes to get up a crack are fascinating to me.

I don't boulder much but it is one of my goals to get better at it because a lot of my friends are way into it. It is fun to top rope but you can hop into the gym and boulder by yourself of while you wait for your friends. Portland also has a new all-bouldering gym that is super cool and beautiful. There is also an outdoor bouldering area about 5 minutes from my house and I am getting out there this summer! There is a river to swim in right there too - what a way to spend an afternoon.

You might want to sign up for lessons at the gym. They usually have a women's class and you will learn a ton of technique! They classes are super fun!

Melissa

I've done this a number of times and it is a blast!

One summer we took our youth group kids to a Young Life camp in Oregon that had several huge walls. We spent an entire weeks worth of camp "free time" climbing these walls. Hours of it, and it never got old.

We have rock climbing at the gym I belong too and I have thought about doing it, but I have nails (I don't keep them really long, but nicely manicured)....is this a problem? I do also have a slight fear of heights (my knees wobble when I am really high up, but I don't honestly really feel too nervous) ...Any thoughts? Should I stay away from this sport?

Robin

I would encourage you to try it. Lots of climbers have nails. If they are really long it is hard to climb. Also, you may chip colored polish. The fear of heights is workable because they more you climb and see how it works, the less you will fear the height and embrace the challenge.

Melissa

My DH loves climbing. In fact, out first date was an introduction to climbing and repelling. Unfortunatly, I could never get past my fear. We always climbed outside. He knew what he was doing, but I never quite trusted the equipment. I was a lot "weaker" then - I hadn't discovered weight training, but he always told me it was more about technique then strength. I always felt I'd accomplished something great if I got to the top. To often, though, I make it halfway up the climb and get "sewing maching leg." I don't know, maybe I'll give it a try again someday, if only for poor DH, who hasn't gone for years...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.