Rice protein

reba50

Hi ladies. I'm more of a lurker here, but would like to know if someone could help me out. I can't have dairy products. I use to drink designer whey. For those who have tried the rice, does it taste good? I really miss my smoothies.:)

When I went Vegan last year I tried some Rice protein powder...not bad but I do prefer the soy (can you have that?), to me it tastes better and I have smoothies every morning...:)...Carole

I use Vegan Complete rice and pea protein powder (the combo makes a complete protein, which is a good idea). It is vanilla flavored, but if you just take it in water or rice milk, for example, there's kind of an odd "artificial" undertaste (even though there are no artificial ingredients). But in a smoothie, I don't notice at all.

Another, pricier, blend is Vega (not to be confused with Vegan Complete), which is based on hemp protein, but also has rice and pe, I think. It was developed by a vegan triathlete from Canada.

You can get both from www.veganessentials.com (and they have small sample sizes so you can try it before you go for the whole big jar.)

>I can have soy but. stop drinking it after i read it was bad
>for you?

I think the studies that show that soy is "bad" are based on incomplete soy, like soy isolate or concentrate (like in soy protein powders, which I now avoid), and not on whole soy foods, like tofu, tempeh, edamame, black soy beans and soy milk, which have been part of the diet of asian cultures for centuries with no ill effects. It's kind of like stevia: there have been some studies that show it may be harmful, but those studies were based on the isolation of the steviosides (a component of stevia), and stevia itself probably is metabolized differently than the isolated steviosides. People in Paraguay have used it for centuries, and the Japanese have used it in their sugar-free foods for decades with, again, no ill effects associated with it.

So I think it's safe to drink soy milk, but I would (and do) avoid soy protein powders (which is why I use the mixes I do).

Back to rice protein: I have some in my cupboard that I forgot about. It's Rainbow Light brand, and is vanilla flavored. At least it's supposed to be vanilla. Last time I used it, I thought it tasted slightly minty. Not bad, but not really "vanilla." Though, again, that flavor is pretty much covered up by the fruits I use in my smoothies.

>Thanks ladies Which brand of soy milk taste the best? :)

Soymilk has really improved in the last few years. I remember when some brands were particularly "beany" tasting, like Edensoy (it still is less tasty for just drinking, IMO). I really like Pacific brand and Silk Enhanced (it has omega 3 from flax as well as other nutrients). Funny thing is, the first time I tried Silk, I didn't like it at all, because it left that kind of pasty coating on my tongue like regular milk. Either they changed the recipe a bit, or my tastes have changed.

Be careful, though, to look at the ingredient list and the sugar content. Some soymilks are "tastier" because they have a lot of sugar in. Silk makes an unsweetened version that's pretty good (but I think it might be something you have to develop a taste for). But their "very vanilla" version, for example, is pretty high in sugar.

>Thanks ladies Which brand of soy milk taste the best? :)

I use Silk...Vanilla or regular. The Vanilla breaks down like this Total Fat-3.5g, Sodium-95mg, Potassium-300mg, Total carb-10g, Protein-6g. I never really had tasted it as I use it mostly in smoothies, but one day I just wanted a glass of milk. It really tasted good...:)...Carole

Hey Reba50!
I got all concerned about soy protein also when I started hearing conflicting evidence about how it is good for you and then how it is bad for you. I could not find good research on the whole soy topic.
I did however find a good audio-link about it. It is by a creditable scientist who has worked with soy and talks about how some forms of soy can be bad for you, but how others can be very beneficial to you. When you have some down-time, you may want to listen to it....if I remember right it is about 45 minutes long, but it really does a great job defining the different types of soy and how our body reacts to it and really clears up all the confusion about soy. The link is:
www.shakword.com
click on the "classic calls" link found on the left hand side.
Then click on "The Power of Soy"

Let me know if you have any questions about what you heard or about listening to the audio-link!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.