Rhythmic Step Opinion

Madonna

Cathlete
Just wanted to know if anyone owns Cathe's new tape "Rhythmic Step" and what you think of it. I have viewed the video clips here on the web site and want to see what your opinion of it is.

Madonna

People seem to either love it or not. I love it! It's my favourite step workout & I have to tell you, that's saying a lot! SO much fun yet still a real challenge. That's my .02!
Ruth
:)

I've done all of her tapes (step) and this one is the hardest to learn. I had up to this point avoided Step Works because I thought it looked hard, but I tried it out on a 4' step this weekend just to get the moves down, and it's not hard at all since I am well versed on Cathe's style.

Rythmic Step is another matter. I'd done it at least 6 times and STILL didn't get the third section down. I SHOULD have done it through for practice only before I did it all out.
To me this is her toughtest tape choreography wise.

I LOVE it!! It's another winner in my book, but as was mentioned, people typically either love it, or hate it. There was a lot of discussion regarding dislike of the music, but I don't mind it. I'm more focused on what I'm doing, making the music less apparent. It does have some intricate choreography, but since I had mastered every Cathe tape before it, on my first run through (with no preview, I was too excited) I was able to nail 98% of the moves. I think it's yet another Cathe Masterpiece :)

Just my .02
~ Nicole

I like it. I would love it, but it seems to put a lot of pressure on the balls of my feet or the nerves in that area or something (which gets sore from doing my cardio on cement.) I also like the music, never occurred to me not to. I am familiar with Cathe's moves and did not find the choreopgraphy hard. I guess I think it is sort of tough because by the time it is over, I am glad! Jeanne

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-20-02 AT 08:46AM (Est)[/font][p]I've done all of Cathe's tapes and I'm mediocre when it comes to learning choreography...for example, Christi Taylor...forget it!! Plus I dont care for any sort of dancey choreography whatsoever. To me, Rhythmic Step was the hardest to learn and also contains more dancey steps than any of Cathe's previous tapes. I just modified and added my own steps for all the dancey moves so it took me even longer to "learn" the choreography since I was adding my own. Overall I think it took me 4 or 5 times to feel comfortable with this tape, but now that I do, I love it!! Some people feel this less intense than some of Cathe's other tapes, I dont really agree. For me what made it less intense were some of the dancey moves like cha cha's etc but since I've replaced the dancey moves with plyo moves this tape makes me sweat like all the others.

Stacy

I find the moves to be a little more tricky in R. Step, but I like it well enough to recommend it. It is diffefent enough to add variety when mixing up cathe's workouts.

Hi Madonna,
I love this workout. I never get bored with it because you do have to concentrate and it is a great work out. You will get better at it each time. It is really fun and challenging. I feel just great when I complete it!
Joanne

I love it. It's fun. Which is very important.

And, I'm a beginner. I started a few months ago with StepWorks and StepFit and enjoy those to.

But, there are several caveats:

I'm only looking for 20 minutes of aerobics at a time.

Since I don't have a television, and thus, no vcr, I need to use the dvd format on a small notebook computer. This lets one easily select different chapters. Typically, any two chapters yield 20+ minutes of any sweat-level that I wish to reach.

On most of the videos, there are some chapters that I never do, now. But, who cares? The dvd format lets you select among the chapters equally, and this is where the fun-factor gets a chance to assert itself. I'll get to those other chapters in 6 months, or a year, or so, when looking for something new.

When using RS, I usually do just the warm-up and first step section, for a 20 minute workout. When I'm in the mood for something extra, I'll try part of some of the other step sections, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for most of the workout. If they start to drive me crazy, I just switch to the warm-up or first step section, and have some fun. Give me that rhythmic-L any day. And, to think that a few months ago, I couldn't even do a tap-switch for a basic.

The videos share some of the complex steps, helping to reduce the learning effort. For SF and SW, I tend to not modify, probably because they were my first videos, and I didn't really no how to modify, easily. For RS, I tend to modify a lot, which helps the enjoyment more. Sometimes, I let them do their thing, and just practice different steps. The step-knee tap-out takes a little getting used to.

I think the hard parts on the later sections are where the parts of the step combinations are only two beats long, and they come at you fast. Sometimes it helps to just watch their feet, and forget all the rest, i.e. if you can get the steps right, the upper body just comes along naturally.

There's music? I'm too busy counting, and trying not to miss the step, to notice. (You'll never see this puppie doing a pivot-repeater.)

tk

I absolutely love this video! The time flies when I do it. Usually with 60 minutes of cardio I get a little bored and want to stop. Not with this one though.

It's funny that there have been so many debates over the music in PH and RS... I think it's the greatest music yet! But that just goes to show how different we all are. The last step section in RS, the music switches to the warmup song from PH... it's at the perfect spot. Just when I think I'm pooped, I heart the music and somehow it just gives me renewed vigor! Call me crazy. :)

Another Rhythmic Step lover here! I just did this one this morning. I hadn't been in the mood for doing cardio today but when that RS music started up, the light went on in my eyes and I flew through it and had a blast. I think the choreo is lots of fun; it did take several tries to get some of the steps and I still occasionally find myself going in the wrong direction but it's easy to correct. There's a lot of good leg work in this tape with all those drop squats and lunges. Concerning intensity, RS is to me one of the more demanding tapes because dancey tapes get me so pumped that I really fly and give them all I've got. --Karen

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-20-02 AT 03:39PM (Est)[/font][p]ooops it posted twice. sorry.

IT's My FAvorate!!!!!! It takes a few view and tries to do it. But it's a blast and before you know it, you will suprise yourself. The music keeps you going and the moves are creative. The hardest part for me when I started with this tape was the 2nd to last section. The last section is my favorate which is a combination of all of what you just learned and your having so much fun with it. It's called the Rythmic challenge.
It has my vote.
Faythe
As a matter of fact I'm going to do it in a few minutes

I love it! The entire tape is great. The rythmic challenge is my favorite part of the routine. I enjoyed putting the entire step sections together. I hope Cathe does this in future workouts.

I love it! The entire tape is great. The rythmic challenge is my favorite part of the routine. I enjoyed putting the entire step sections together. I hope Cathe does this in future workouts.

I love it too! I also hope Cathe puts the sections together on future tapes like the Challenge! It's my favorite. I like the choreography more challenging or else the workout will bore me. In order to enjoy it repeatedly, I like it challenging enough.

But I love Christi, even though it takes me a lot more tries to "get" Christi's choreo.

-Connie

I've only done this tape a few times so far. It's weird to be confused when doing a Cathe tape because I've gotten so good at her tapes! You'll definately be messing up a few times! The third section really messes me up though! Maybe I'm just getting tired at that point, but I usually just forward through it cause I'm frustrated.

I think it'll be a good workout once I get the moves and can really work it. It is fun when you get the hang of it though!

RE: it is my favourite Cathe cardio

Rhythmic Step is an excellent workout in my opinion and one of my faves these days.

Kim

RE: Honeybunch

Which part really gets you? Is it the one with the straddle and then the turn? That one took me a lot of rewinds one day and I really paid attention to the foot she turned on. I think you turn outwards from the step after the straddle but need to turn right around to end up back on the step in order to do the squat off the side. Try to go the way your body wants you to and try not to think so hard about it.

I hope this helps but if it does not, feel free to email me and I will try to explain it better. It is so fun when you do get it.

Sometimes the problem with the mirror image of video tapes is that sometimes we just get stuck on a certain move that seems like it must be on the wrong side of the step or something. I just finally figured out a step on Step this Way that had me ending up on the wrong side no matter what I did. Last night after work, it was like a light bulb finally (and thankfully) lit up.

Hope this helps even a little bit.

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.