returning to exercise after your birth

J

jwbean

Cathe,
How soon do you intend to return to an exercise program, what types of exercise will you do and what kind of modifications will you make if any during your recovery from delivery. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how do you intend to restrengthen and firm your abs? Thank you for sharing.

How funny!

I was just asked this question(in quite a "unique" manner) a few days ago. I went to visit everyone at work and within 10 minutes of being there I had a member come up to me and say "ok, maybe there is finally hope for my abs....I want to see just what you are going to do to get your abs back in shape since I saw what you looked like a month ago, with your big belly, and whatever you do to make that kind of improvement should definitely help me with my little pooch". Boy, the pressure I'm under
happy.gif
!

I think when it comes to returning to working out, you have to listen to your body(and your doctor, of course). The doctors advise to wait until after your 6 week check up to make sure everything has healed nicely and returned back to its normal size and state. Recovery is so different for everyone since everyone has had their own experience. C-sections, episiotomies of varying degree tears, reactions to epidurals, etc., will all effect how long it takes an individual to heal and ultimately return to working out.

So for me, at this 3 week point, I still have some stitches from my episiotomy that feel tender and therefore do not want to engage in any vigorous exercise. I'm taking it slow and doing mild walking, a few crunches, and light toning exercises until I have my 6 week check up. I also have noticed that my ligament situation in my groin area(which has "haunted" me mostly during my last trimester)is still sensitive. I have found out that the relaxin hormone that is responsible for this problem will remain in my system(though in a much milder "dose")while I breastfeed. So how this will effect my workouts when I am cleared to workout again remains to be seen. I know that even now, when walking at a brisk pace to cross the street or something, I feel that groin area tighten right up,
sad.gif
!

So until I actually fully return to exercise in 6 weeks(pending my doctors clearance), I will have to listen to my body and determine just what type of program I will pursue. Assuming everything is back to normal, I will probably return to my regular teaching schedule(6 cardio classes per week)for cardio. I will start out at 50% of my usual intensity for 2 weeks and then up it to 75% of my usual intensity for 2 weeks. At that point I will have to see how I have progressed in order to know how hard I can continue to push myself.

For weight training, I will come back easy. I will either do Body Pump classes here at the gym or do MIS, both with moderate weight. As I get stronger, I intend to lift heavier and begin the PS Series(or a similar type workout)and then I would also like to work myself back to one body part per day per week. As for my abs, I hope to return to working them 3 to 4 times per week with routines similar to that of my tapes. I'll keep you posted and let you know how everything is progressing. Thanks for asking and keep your fingers crossed
happy.gif
!

I love this!!

Just had to put in my 2 cents. This reminds me of the ladies I work out with , but in a much milder sense.I have been through pregnancy and postpartum with this group of ladies and felt the pressure of putting myself back into pre-preg shape. Something about standing up in front of all those people. Of course all the pressure came from me and the motivation came from them with all their kind words.I know you inspire people to be the best they can fitness wise. Heck if you can do it long distance with people you have never met with the use of tapes I can only imagine the inspiration you must give those that workout with you on a regular basis live!Anyway, this made me grin because I understand!Don't worry, those jeans WILL come together before you know it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.