Rest Week/Days

morgs

Cathlete
Just looking for some fresh insite on this: I know I have posted this before, but it's been a couple years so I am checking in to see what everyone else does when it comes to rest days/ week.

I work out 5 days a week ( Other two days are Namaste Yoga / StretchMax / or walking ) .
My rotation for the past three months ( cause I LOVE these DVDs ) has been:
XTrain All Out Low Impact
Cardio Super Sets
Afterburn
Crossfire
Kick Max
4-Day Split ( Kickbox Segment, and High Step Segment )
Bootcamp ( Original )
Kick Punch & Crunch
Imax3
BodyMax

I haven't taken a full blown rest week in about 12 weeks so my question is: How often does everyone else take a 'rest week' ( I've heard every 6 weeks up to 16 ) and what do your days off include: Full on rests, or light work outs? Always helps to get fresh ideas so thank you in advance!
~Morgs~

Hi Morgs,
When I am working out the only time I've ever taken a rest week, other than being sick or injured, is when I did STS (after every 4 weeks) and then it was just lighter/different/stretchy workouts. I definitely think it's a good idea if you feel like you need to take a break or back off a little or enjoy something specific like a week of just walking or stretching.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I think it is an N=1... if you feel like you are getting burn out... take a week off....get that mental desire back.... or if getting injuries or nagging aches.... take a break...
On a side note.... which is harder IMAX3 or Body Max? I have IMAX 3 and I am looking for something more challenging

I know this doesn't answer your question but I think it is an N=1... if you feel like you are getting burn out... take a week off....get that mental desire back.... or if getting injuries or nagging aches.... take a break...
On a side note.... which is harder IMAX3 or Body Max? I have IMAX 3 and I am looking for something more challenging
Hi Meghan,

I would say ( I hope this makes sense ) that Imx3 is the hardest. While Bodymax2 is really difficult you have to factor in if you do the entire DVD all together. When doing BodyMax, I either to the step blasts, OR step segment ( not both ) followed by the upper body weights. I am going to be honest, I have never done that one all at once. Ufda! I however, think that IMax 3 is more difficult due to the fact that I think it's more High Impact , and if you do it all at once ( which can be tough after getting through those plyos ) I would say you've gone through one tough work out. Bodymax is longer, yes, but seems more low impact- which for me is less of a challenge. BUT, if you are looking at getting an over all full body work out in one DVD, Body Max is the one to get. THAT one has you covered head to toe. @bzbnmom: I am the same way ! I was just talking with a friend of mine who just could NOT believe that I have been working out for 3 months and have not taken that "Rest Week" so I thought I would jump in and see what everyone else is doing. I figure I get ample rest on the two days that I don't work out and feel that's good enough.

like bzbnmom, not so much a rest week, as a 'change' week. If I've been lifting heavy for a while, I have a steady-state cardio week (shock, horror, I sometimes do long boring cardio). If I've been doing lots of endurance work, I might have a few days of short, sharp fun. Quite often, I'll go for a bike ride, long walk, play a few games of tennis, ski. That sort of thing. And only when and if I feel like it!

like bzbnmom, not so much a rest week, as a 'change' week. If I've been lifting heavy for a while, I have a steady-state cardio week (shock, horror, I sometimes do long boring cardio). If I've been doing lots of endurance work, I might have a few days of short, sharp fun. Quite often, I'll go for a bike ride, long walk, play a few games of tennis, ski. That sort of thing. And only when and if I feel like it!

I agree, in fact I'm feeling a week of skiing coming on.

Thank you all for the input. I am going to have to agree that just 'listening' to yourself and taking a break when you need it is the best way to go. I had to laugh , desertambrosia cause I have been DYING to get out and get some cross country skiing done , but sadly, ( even though I live in Minnesota-home of the winter wonderland ) we literally have no snow and it's the middle of January. A week of skiing would be an excellent change of pace!

They are different workouts. Imax3 is strictly cardio, where Body Max is strength endurance. For Imaz 3 try adding another riser. it'll kick your bootie. For Body Max, just increase your weights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.