Remodeling Questions

petramom

Cathlete
I am finishing a 1200 square foot basement in my 6 year old house. I bought some design software and a couple books, and done some internet searching, so now I have a plan. But I'd really like to hear from other people about their own experiences with remodeling in general, and basement finishing in particular. I want to add a bedroom (which will be my exercise area) and a full bathroom, and leave the rest open (except the utility room, which will be left unfinished). I'm going to add in some cabinetry, a small sink and undercounter fridge along a wall. There will be an area for watching TV and an area for the air hockey table, ping pong table and a small game table. The ceiling is about 8 feet high except where the beams are, and we have a couple of decent windows (although they don't let in a lot of light).

Any thoughts or tips or personal experiences you can share would be very much appreciated. I've received one bid, and it was for about $35K.

I collected photos of different features I thought would work with my basement. I wanted my basement rooms open to each other too.
I used the beams as sort of a guide and had my beams closed in with with drywall arches(an idea from a magazine). To save money on cabinetry, I used lower cabinets with drywall arches on top. It saved me $7,000 and I think it turned out nice. It goes with the arch theme.
My only regret.....wish I reserved more room for my gym.

Here are the photos of my pool room, bar, poker room, and living area.

Poker room
ry%3D400

Pool room

ry%3D400

Bar cabinets below the arches

ry%3D400

ITA with Cynthia about collecting photos of rooms/features you like.

I'm still in the midst of a major home remodel (we're doing most of our own work, without any loans, so it's taking a while). I'm a very visual person, so what helped me a lot was to go into certain spaces and map out on the floor where certain features would be. I did most of this in rooms with no flooring, so I used masking tape to mark things out. It was very helpful in making sure I wasn't putting anything too close together, that the flow was good, that outlets/plumbing were in the right place.

HTH

Wow Cynthia - your basement is gorgeous! How big is your workout space? It looks like I'll end up with something around 10x10, although I plan to just use that space for my weight lifting. I'll keep doing my aerobic stuff out in the main room since I just have to move the step out.

I love the arch idea too. One beam, however, actually runs straight through the vertical center of the TV area. The other one though may work really well with an arch.

Gayle - how much remodeling have you finished so far? How much more to go?

Cynthia can I move in to your basement? WOW it is fabulous. What magazines did you use for inspiration? My basement is dark and stuck in the 1970's.

Gayle - how much remodeling have you finished so far? How much more to go?

Well, we might be 60% done. This a funny story...what began as "hey, lets paint the kitchen cabinets" turned into a 900sf addition with a new kitchen, remodeled bathroom, bedroom, heating system...talk about project creep!!

We have the bathroom almost done. It has a few cosmetic things to be finished (tub deck, toe kick), but we're using it. The remodeled bedroom (spare) is in the same state. The new kitchen is still stud walls and insulation. I have the cabinets though, and hope to get more done with this during the fall. DH and I really needed to take a break this summer from the remodeling project.

Again, we're doing most of the finish work ourselves, so it's taking a LOT longer than it would if hired out.

Cynthia - Your basement remodel is gorgeous!!! I like your butler. ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.