Red wine?

Lex411

Cathlete
Ok, I have always been more of a sweet-booze gal, but recently my palate has changed and I am starting to appreciate the less sweet varieties. For example, now I really like a glass of really good single malt scotch with a splash of Pellegrino. And whereas I only used to like sweeter white wines, like Chardonnays, I just tried a Kendall Jackson Merlot at NYE dinner and loved it.

Anyone out there have suggestions about some good red wines for me to try or buy? I'm new to that world and I'd like to learn more and expand my tastes.

Here's a couple...

Murphy Goode Merlot

Rodney Strong Merlot

and if your budget can't take these, good old Bolla Merlot is very fine for everyday. I used to like Cabernet Sauvignon exclusively, but now I like the rounder, smoother finish of the merlots.

Bolla also makes a good Valpolicella as well, for everyday drinking.

RE: Here's a couple...

wow, thank you so much for the recommendations. I'll go wine shopping this weekend and might treat myself to 2 bottles so I can try more than one.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-01 AT 10:18AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Lex,
My favorite Merlot is an Itailian Wine made by Eco Domani (spelling??). Usually about $7 to $9 a bottle. Another slightly sweeter and usually smoother wine is a Shiraz. I haven't tried a whole lot of brands in the Shiraz wines.

Dawn W

Ooooh, my favorite subject (almost!)

My favorite subject next to working out of course! :D

The Murphy Goode is a great suggestion as is the Rodney Strong.

Some of my favorites are:

*Fife Red Zinfandel "Redhead": Love it! Hard to find sometimes though (not to be confused with 'white' zinfandel)

*Sterling Cabernet (or Merlot): also love this one too. Actually I don't think I've ever had a Sterling I didn't like - either red or white. :)

*Franciscan Cabernet: One of my all time favorites

*Kenwood Cabernet: Yummy!

Have fun experimenting! Getting involved in wine is like having a whole new hobby, lots of stuff to try and learn. Enjoy!

Bev K.

RE: Here's a couple...

>Murphy Goode Merlot
>
>Rodney Strong Merlot
>
>and if your budget can't take
>these, good old Bolla Merlot
>is very fine for everyday.
>I used to like Cabernet
>Sauvignon exclusively, but now I
>like the rounder, smoother finish
>of the merlots.
>
>Bolla also makes a good Valpolicella
>as well, for everyday drinking.
>

OK, 'fess up Murph..you are a fellow Sonoman! Those are the two best Merlot's! How 'bout Clos du Bois? Fetzer?

Donna Marie

Donna, you caught me!

ha-ha-I'm terrible. Go to Honeybunch for cake, but come to me for wines. I keep a wine diary of each type I try so I don't buy ones I don't enjoy in future. (Money for a bottle has NOTHING to do with it, by the way.) Reds only:

BEST OF ALL TIME: SILVER OAKS CABERNET SAUVIGNON 1995

Yes: Fetzer Eagle Peak Merlot 98; Silver Ridge 97; Forest Glen Merlot 98; Beringer Merlot 97. (Murphy-Goode and Rodney Strong previously mentioned.)

Clos du Bois--good, but not as good as the above.

NO: Callaway 97; Glass Mountain; Parducci 98; Mystic Cliffs; Cypress 97; Robert Mondavi Woodbridge 98--although his chardonnay is ok.

Always give a red a good half hour in a big open mouth glass to open up....

RE: Ooooh, my favorite subject (almost!)

Ok, I went out for a bottle of the hooch and picked out the Sterling Merlot. I am letting it breathe as we speak. My Guiness drinking beau doesn't quite get that, but I trust the advice I was given.

I was wavering between the Rodney Strong and the Sterling and for some reason I grabbed the latter. But I do plan to get the Rodney soon too.

What's the main difference in taste between a Cabernet and a Merlot? If I go for a Rodney, should I get a Cabernet to try?

Thank you guys again for the info, this is a developing new passion of mine. I can see my wino days just beginning!

Spo-dee-oh-dee!

OK...Northern Californians?

You guys are naming all my favorite wineries! Has anyone been to the Sterling Winery? Wow, now that's a winery!

I'm a white wine drinker. I love Mondavi (it's not an expensive Chard, but I like the slight dry, effervescence sp?), Clos du Bois Chard, but my all time favorite is Fetzer Sundial Chard. Yummy with all the great food I shouldn't be eating, LOL.

Love this post. Any winery hoppers out there?

Donna
(Sonoma County)

RE: OK...Northern Californians?

I've never gone, but now I'm dying to. Anyone know what's close to LA?

I LOVE Chardonnay too, so I'll take those recommendations also.

Thanks!

Actually: I'm from Chicago!!

I love this thread, too. The biggest difference between cabernet and merlot is cabernet: you can usually taste the barrel it was aged in and it gives you a feeling of summer, fullness, peace: like yoga. Merlot is fruit, sun, "now-is now", happy,
casual. Like your favorite blue jeans.

My "everyday " chardonnay --which I LOVE is Forest Glen 98. It's not really expensive; but i like it the best. BTW, I also like Fetzer Sundial chard for a change, too. HOW WAS THE STERLING???!! Did you like???

Inquiring minds want to know!!

How did you like the Sterling?? Details...we want details!! heehee! :D
Bev K.

RE: Actually: I'm from Chicago!!

I think I like the Sterling Merlot a little tooooo much! I had 2 glasses last night and one tonight. I'll have to lock it up and give my honey the key. I'll turn into a wino...a snobby wino who drinks $22 bottles of wine. That's the worst kind. Hanging on the freeway ramp, begging for money, and more money, and more money...and I still won't have enough to get the Cabernet I want!

You guys gave me great wine advice, I thank you from the bottom of my liver.

Now I must get myself a good bottle of Cabernet so I can expand my drunken horizons further yet. And I love that description...Cabernet is like summer...Merlot is more fun and springy...too cute.

And remind me, the next time I watch an episode of Friends where they spend the whole damn thing eating cheesecake, NOT to show my honey. It's his total weakness and he actually went right out to House of Pies and got us 2 pieces of cheesecake. Stupid me, I ate it. Not a big deal, but it gave me suuuuch a headache and made me all queasy. I should know better, me, sugar and dairy do NOT mix. Damn those Friends! Funny episode though.

Anyway, nighty-night all!

RE: Actually: I'm from Chicago!!

>I love this thread, too. The
>biggest difference between cabernet and
>merlot is cabernet: you can
>usually taste the barrel it
>was aged in and it
>gives you a feeling of
>summer, fullness, peace: like yoga.
>Merlot is fruit, sun, "now-is
>now", happy,
>casual. Like your favorite blue jeans.
>
>
>My "everyday " chardonnay --which I
>LOVE is Forest Glen 98.
>It's not really expensive; but
>i like it the best.
>BTW, I also like Fetzer
>Sundial chard for a change,
>too. HOW WAS THE STERLING???!!

> Did you like???

Murph, I fell in love with the first sip of Sterling Pinot Gris. Being a diehard Chard fan, I hadn't ventured in to the Pinots. I went to our local bottle barn and the guy referred to it as "Peanut Grease". I nearly fell on the floor laughing. So much for wine snobbery in the wine country.

This has been a very informative post. Thanks again for starting it.

Donna
(Fetzer forever)

Too funny!!!

Keep us posted on what Cabernet you pick and how you like it!

I'm still chuckling as I type .... "Peanut Grease"!!! ROTFLOL!!!

Bev K.

RE: Hey, Murph!

Murph,

Hey, did you know I was from Chicago too? I live in LA now, and probably will for many years to come, but I grew up in East Lakeview. Right off Belmont and Broadway, to be exact.

Whereabouts are you? City proper or outlying?

RE: Hey, Lex!!

Born and raised in Chicago; I have never moved, even though I've had 5 major jobs. BUT, I don;t think I have the accent...Southside, Bridgeview neighborhood. My dad was a cop. now, I live in the burbs: Hinsdale, specifically. I travel the world with my job; am so lucky I can't stand it. (I sell medical packaging.) I have been to California several times: customers in Irvine, SF for wine, San Diego for whales..... I dread getting back into full swing at O'Hare --this winter is rough!!
fun to get to know all of you!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.