Recovery advice

KellyG

Cathlete
Hi there!

I have been stuck at home with bronchitis for a week. I am an avid Cathe exerciser who doesn't usually miss a day of work (I am a preschool teacher) or exercise! I have 3 kids of my own and I am always go-go-go! So when I got sick with a fever and slept most of last weekend away I knew something was up. My doctor diagnosed me with bronchitis and put me on antibiotics. I am starting to feel better, but I'm just so tired still. I am itching to get back to Cathe! I know logically that exercise should not be on the agenda for awhile, but I am going crazy! Any advice? Thank you !

Kelly

I know how u feel, it's so hard to not get up and exercise regardless of how you're feeling. But with age and wisdom, I've now embraced the idea that a "sabbatical" due to illness is necessary. I have lupus, which is chronic. I used to push thru during flare ups, but ultimately would feel worse at the end of the day. Give yourself permission to rest..cathe will be there when your ready to hit it again!

Also, intense exercise will probably make your lungs hurt. Make sure you are taking some probiotics at separate time than the antibiotics to help with your immune system. Your body needs rest to fight it off, maybe some light walking or yoga to get moving would be good, but I wouldn't push. If you are that tired your body is telling you something :) Take care and get better soon!!!

Thank you ladies for your advice. I know I need to rest, sometimes I just need to hear it again! Thank you for taking the time to reply. Dawn9222, you are right, my body is telling me to rest even if my head isn't! And Freebird, you are right as well, Cathe will be there when I'm ready to hit it again!

Thank you again.

Kelly

I second the advice they've already given you...rest or light stuff such as yoga or walking. I remember being sick with bronchitis a few years ago while in the middle of a rotation of Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. I didn't want to mess up the timing of the rotation so I basically was coughing up a lung while working out. I was miserable and would never do that again. Rest...your body will thank you!

Thank you catwoman7631! I hear ya......last week when I started feeling under the weather I still tried to exercise and I think that was a mistake. I actually did Yoga Max today and found it tiring. That seems crazy to me since normally I would consider it to be "easy" for me. It's so frustrating when you make great fitness gains and then suddenly feel like you're back at square 1! Thank you for your advice to rest. I agree 100%.

Kelly

I 2nd/3rd/4th REST GIRL!! ;)

If you are fidgeting to move, try handstands at the wall. Love this move for when I am 'wired, but tired'. Also, some restorative yoga poses specific to lung rest like supported fish pose
img_0088.jpg

so sorry KellyG, you are not feeling well, harder too with little ones. Only advice is always schedule your recovery first, then your workouts, so you are in recovery mode, workouts will come soon enough, take care.

Thank you so much ladies for all your kind words and advice! I went back to work this morning, which felt good but I'm exhausted now! One step at a time........hopefully I'll have energy soon to work out. Can't wait!

Thanks again,

Kelly

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.