Recovering from abdominoplasty

atremo11

Cathlete
Hey Cathe! First and foremost, I want to thank you for being an inspiration to me and so many like me! I am a twenty-eight year old mother of three. I gained a substantial amount of weight with my first pregnancy (about seventy pounds. For some reason I seemed to believe that the weight would magically disappear after his birth, well let's just say I really enjoyed being pregnant with my son!! Ha. Anyway I lost the weight and have kept it off after the births of my two daughters in 2004 and 2007, but was left with this mass of skin and separated abdominal muscles. And for someone who aspires to be healthy and fit,what I was left with was, well it was just kind of depressing. My physician advised I seek the advice of a plastic surgeon and I am now two days post op. The recovery is sore, but not near as bad as I had originally planned. What abdominal exercises would you recommend to ease back into things, I have to wait between three and six weeks before I can begin to "vigorously" exercise. However,because of the separation of my muscles, I have never 'focused' heavily on that area. Any suggestions from anyone who has ever had any abdominal surgery would be greatly appreciated. And again I just wanted to let Cathe know how appreciative I am to her for being so positive and continually producing the best possible products out there!!
Mandy

Obviously not Cathe here, but I wanted to give you some information. I am 14 months post abdominoplasty. I just wanted you to know that once I got the "all clear" from my PS, it was a very slow process to get back to where I was pre surgery. I biked and walked for a good 3 months after I got the o.k. to get back into exercise. And even then, I was sore, and I would swell in the tummy region. I didn't do ANY abdominal exercises until I was 6 months post op. It's amazing how you use your abdominals for every day activiites. Also, some PS's tell you to never do concentrated abdominal exercises (crunches) post workout, so you'll want to get some clarification from your PS. Good luck!

Becky

Thanks! Clearly I am only three days out now, so we haven't discussed anything beyond our first post op visits. Hopefully, next week I will get the okay to walk again, that is what they have stressed is walk, walk, walk to prevent fluid build-up, so have tried to walk around as much as possible. That is one big question I have for my doctor, he said do as much as you feel comfortable, nothing "strenuous" for at least six weeks. That first night just sitting was crazy! You really don't realize how much they get worked in everyday life! Thanks for the input! I know I have so much more to ask, it has been kind of a blur since surgery!
Mandy

worseenemy
LUCKY you guys. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( I have been waiting for this since 2004 I hope I can get this one, some day.
Take care.

The recup is very sore, but mine was outpatient. My husband usually takes a couple of hunting trips a year, and I told him I was ready for m "trip" after three babies in five years! Your day will come!!!!
Mandy

>>Also, some PS's tell you to never do concentrated abdominal
>exercises (crunches) post workout, so you'll want to get some
>clarification from your PS. Good luck!
>
>Becky

I'm DYING to have a tummy tuck. 3 pregnancies in 4 years wreaked havoc on my midsection. I've been going back and forth on this. Becky, what did your PS say about crunches? Do you do them? Can you get defined abs after a tummy tuck? I've worked my butt off for years for them, but no matter how low my body fat, I still have a pooch--and I was at 14% bodyfat 2 years ago. I suspect a lot of it is compromised ab muscles and *really* stretched out skin, but I haven't gone for a consult yet. Are you tummy tuck gals generally happy with the results?

My surgery was Wednesday and I cannot believe the difference in my pre and post op tummy! I had this loose flap of skin that would not go away, no matter what I did!! You could literally pull it out and there was like three inches of mush there. And I didn't realize what a difference having the muscles repaired would make! My lower abs had a two inch gap and now even when I breathe it feels different. My ps said another 'side effect' was that I would probably feel fuller sooner when I ate! Nice little side effect to me. But now not quite a week post-op my stomach is the flattest it has ever been! I am ready to get the drain out, it is a little annoying, but today I am only the littlest bit sore, but LOVING my results. I am going to ask my ps Tuesday about concentrated abdominal exercises and will let you know! Trust me, it is so worth it!
Mandy

worseenemy
Do you have pictures? I have 4 girls and I'm not big but the extra skin is killing me because no matter how hard I workout is going to be there and I hate it x( x( I did have a consultation 4 years ago the Doc. told me that probably for my partial tummy tuck will work if I was not going to have more babies,but my husband wanted to have one more (a boy)but we have a girl again so now I have 4 girls and not a tummy tuck yet:( :( I hope that day will get here soon:)
Eunice

I will make sure to get my before pictures. I am not big either. I was a size 2 before the surgery. I am 5'2" and just being stretched by pregnancies wreaked havoc on me. My ps said really any baby over 7 pounds could tear the abdominal muscles on a woman my size. My son was 8 lbs and 22 inches long! He also said that a mini would not completely remove all of my skin, that a full was necessary. My incision does not quite go hip to hip. But before surgery the skin just got worse after each pregnancy and I always had this pouch that kind of poked out over the top of my pants, unless I wore something really really high waisted! The rest of me (thanks to Cathe) was in great shape and not matter what I did, it was there!!!! So we met with the ps and decided now was the time, and I am absolutely amazed at how easy it has been!
Congratulations on your 4 girls. I am one of 4 girls have two daughters and one son! Our third was to try for one more boy, and we were blessed with our Eva!
Mandy

worseenemy
Can't you imagine,my third baby was 10pounds I was 170 pounds and it was normal birth,I couldn't walk for a good 5 days,I did stay over the Hospital for 5 days I needed help to get up,go the restroom,even move my position on bed,and my husband was overseas (he is in the Military). :D : hing it was easy for me go back to my normal size 4 after Cathe I'm a size 2 only jeans I'm a size 4.I'm 5'4 weight 128 pound.
I LOVE my daughters,17 almost 18 years old,12 years,6 years and my baby 3 years old she was born on my birthday I love them.
Eunice

I had an extremely hard natural birth with my son! His head and shoulders were enormous! I can definitely relate to that. By one he was 32 pounds and 32 inches and I exclusively breastfeed him the first six months.
I am 115 pounds normally-I love to lift-the definition it gives, so I really don't look at my weight all that much.
Girls are so completely different than boys! My two girls keep me on my toes. JC, my son, is laid back. My three year old Liv is a natural tumbler, she flips and climbs on everything, I have to really watch her. Eva my 1 year old is sooo curious about everything, I love that stage, they grow up toooo fast.
I go back to the ps tomorrow and will ask for my before pic. I have a few but since I would not show my stomach to anyone-I have on a shirt and just look about three months pregnant. They got a few good ones before surgery. I'll share them!
Mandy

Hi Mandy,

I had an abdominoplasty on the 18th April. I am 12 weeks post op and have just returned to teaching RPM classes. No weights as yet as I have a possible labral tear in my shoulder.

Don't even think of doing any exercise other than gentle walking for about six weeks. Your recovery will be so much quicker if you do less rather than more at this stage.

You can PM me or contact me via my website if you have any other questions. It's a huge step and I've written a fair bit about the abdominoplasty experience.

Cheers
liz N

Thanks Liz!
You look amazing!! Wow, you are an amazing role model, I hope I can look like you one day! I live in Alabama and there are so many southern temptations, well let's just say Alabama is not known as the healthiest state in the US!! But luckily I hate fried food, so that helps!!! I met with my PS today and he again stressed, nothing but walking for six weeks, no matter how good you feel, you are recovering!!! He joked it was the "little ones" that worried him after surgery. So I am just enjoying summertime with my kids before school starts!! Thank you for the input and I hope you have a speedy recovery with your shoulder!!
Mandy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.