recommendations for hyperpigmentation

mom2kttj

Cathlete
Im looking for a facial cream to lighten the spots (age spots or really big freckles) that are starting to appear on my face. I also have some darkening skin on my upper lip that is making it look like I have a mustache. Its not the the hair I swear! Its very overwhelming the choices out there for beauty products. Anything anyone can recommend?

Sarah

I have tried everything and the only thing that works for me is Retin A. Also, never go out without sunscreen on!

I have the same problem and it definitely gets worse in the summer. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say. Where do you get Retin A?

You can try various acid peels or products from Makeup Artist's Choice:
Age Spots, Fade Age Spots

Whatever you try (Retin-A, etc.) be sure to always use an SPF sunscreen afterwards, otherwise the spots/splotches will come back.

Sounds like you have melasma - hyperpigmentation of the skin - and when it is concentrated on the upper lip it looks like you have a mustache! Lots of times this is caused by hormonal changes. I had that for about 6 months several years ago and couldn't figure it out. I was told it is due to hormonal changes but I was too young to be having hormone changes. Then after 6 months of no therapy it magically disappeared. I vaguely remember the dermatologist wanting to put me on birth control pills to alter my hormones but I can't handle BC pills (nausea).

Retin-A 0.1% microgel (as opposed to the cream or a different percentage strength) has worked the best for me. I started using it as a teen for acne and then just continued as I got older and it has prevented wrinkles and age spots and I *always* get comments on my skin (so smooth, so creamy, no wrinkles).

It is by prescription. I get the 45gram tube and my previous insurance copay was $20 and my current insurance copay is...$189! But the tube lasts about 6 months. It should last longer but I put the gel on some scars I have on my body and it helps fade them also.

SOme people are very sensitive to it so you may have to start every other day. I am not sensitive at all.

My girlfriend gets peels and facials all the time and then she finally asked what I use and I told her. She said the Retin-A gel works better than any of the procedures she has gotten over the past 10 yrs. And cheaper.

Yep, sounds like Melasma.

Best advice ever.... stay out of the sun. Period. Don't just use sunblock, which you should of course, but don't let your skin be in the sun.

So, do you use Retin-A for, like, ever?

I've always wondered about using it, and I've tried pretty much everything else. My marks are from a horrible bout of adult acne in my mid twenties, that when combined w/sun exposure got even darker :( . I wasn't as careful about sunscreen in my teens/early twenties as I am now, but that doesn't change what's already there....

I personally have used it for almost 2 decades (on and off) but I don't think you "have" to. It isn't like the results will reverse themselves. I have very oily skin and live in a very hot climate. My face glows with oil. People used to ask if I was hot and uncomfortable and I had no clue why they were asking - well, it was because I had a wonderful oil sheen on my face. The Retin-A was to decrease the oil and it totally has. I just kept using it due to the OTHER benefits I received (no breakouts, no blackheads, no oil, wrinkles reduced, fades discolorations, really clear, creamy complexion).

I previously used a lesser concentration and used the cream but never saw results. It wasn't until I used the Retin-A 0.1% microgel that I immediately saw benefits. Again, I use it every night but I know some people are only able to handle it every other night or so. The thing to remember is you only need a pea-sized amount (any more and it just causes pilling - won't rub in and you are wasting it) and to not put it in creases (bottom sides of nose or chin crease) because it seems to cause redness there. Sometimes it is recommended to wait 20 min after washing before applying to help decrease sensitivity but I put it on immediately after washing without problems.

To the original poster - I don't think the Retin-A helped my melasma since it literally one day just disappeared. I am not sure what caused the sudden onset or sudden disappearance. But I know others have used it for melasma, scars, and to fade age spots.

Thanks for all the info. I have heard Clinique Even Better Dark Spot Correcotr is pretty good also but I can't find out what is in it on the4 Clinique website. I looked at rentiol gel in .1% and .3%. I wonder if this is a case of start out with the lower percentage?

Sarah

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.