Read any good books lately?

I second the Jennifer Weiner suggestion. I loved her book "Good in Bed" and just picked up another by her this past weekend called "Little Earthquakes".

"War brides" by Jojo Moyes. What happened to all the women in Australia who married service men during the second world war? Many tried to get to Europe leaving their families thousands of miles away, never to see them again. Some received "do not come: changed mind" telegrams halfway during the voyage, others gave birth en route, others discovered en route that their "husbamds" were already married but that they would be welcome still as mistresses and assured of being well looked after..... A fascinating story of one particular ship's voyage and the fates of all the women on board.

Also, both thrillers by Michael Robotham, "Lost" and "Suspect". These thrillers are in a class of their own. In fact if you can get hold of the Recorded Books Inc book on CD versions, they are so well worth listening to. Superb.

Stories by Barbara Delinsky, "Lake News," "Accidental Woman"and others. Great characterisation and moral dilemnas amidst the dynamics of family life and life in a small New England town. Love her work.

Also, if you are a fan of the Shopaholic series, try all the books by Melissa Nathan. She's hilarious and I think a better writer than Sophie Kinsella, although I love Becky Bloomwood also. Nathan has just died, suddenly, but her last book has just been published, called "The Learning Curve".

Finally, Maggie O'Farell is one of my fave authors. Scottish, atmospheric, love dilemnas, realistic fiction, quite an antidote to Kinsella and co. her latest, "The vanishing Act of Esme lennox" has just been published, but my fave of hers so far is "After You'd Gone". A real heart breaker but a jewel all the same. A love song, at heart,for a love that can now only live on through memory.

Clare

Love Janet E. but Stephanie Plum needs to take a self defense course or 2 and carry the gun - with bullets (hehe). I'd pick Ranger!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.