RE: San Diego info???

kpage1230

Cathlete
Since this forum has such a great cross-section of people from all over the country, I need to ask your help. DH and I are planning a trip to San Diego. We do not know anyone who has been there and the info I'm finding on the web is overwhelming. We want to stay at a nice resort with a good gym and spa facilities. Does anyone have specific recommendations on resorts, preferable areas, etc.? Thanks everyone.

Karen

Let me know exactly what you are looking for and I might be able to help.

Do you want to stay in San Diego itself? or outside?
Beach?
Desert?
$$$ limit?

If you can, I would highly recommend you stay at the Hotel Del Coronadon on, well, Coronado. It is the best. But I might have other recommendations if you give me a little better idea of what you are looking for.

I LOVED San Diego... and agree, I highly recommend staying at Hotel Del Coronado, on Coronado Island.
There is pleanty to do, From Harbor "tours", sea world, San Diego Zoo, shopping, It all depends on what your intrested in. Its a beautiful city.

Hi Karen,

I lived in San Diego for six years, and like the other posters said, it's a wonderful city with tons of things to do and see. If you give a few more details on where exactly you'll be staying (in the city proper, up north in La Jolla or Del Mar, etc.), and what you guys like to do, I'd be happy to give you my suggestions. :)

-Kate

Hi Karen,

I live in San Diego. What exactly are you looking for in terms of location, price, etc? I can certainly help you out. I do know that I would stay away from the Hotel Circle area. This area is on top of a freeway and is quite noisy. Much better staying in the Gaslamp district (if you want to be in the heart of things). There are nice places in Del Mar, La Jolla, Coronado (you have to cross a bridge to get there, though), Shelter Island, etc. Just let me know what your price range is, what you want nearby, etc.

Lorrayne

Thanks so much to all who replied!!! DH and I are not into clubs, nightlife, etc. so we'd prefer to be in a little quieter area but able to either walk or take public transport to zoo, Seaworld and other area attractions. We definitely want to be on or near the water! We run 6-8 miles daily and would like easy access to bike/running trails (we plan to rent bikes also). Would Coronado be a god choice? Our lodging budget is open, but no more than $325/night. We'd prefer to stay somewhere with a good fitness room (free weights as well as machines)and spa facilities for some pampering. Does anyone know anything about the Loes Coronado Bay Resort? Good choice or not? Do do NOT plan to rent a car and want to walk, bike or take public transport while there. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

Karen

Hi Karen,

Thanks for helping us narrow down your options. I would NOT pick Loews based on your criteria (even though the rooms are pretty nice). It's a bit down what is called the Silver Strand. It's away from everything and you most likely need a car to get somewhere. Also, I would NOT recommend running or biking along this road as there really isn't a good bike lane here.

Anyone on this board have feedback of the hotels on Harbor Island? I'm thinking of this area because it's on the water, it's right on a set of several bike/jogging paths, and not far from where you want to go (zoo, Sea World, etc.). In fact, you can take your bike and ride down to the Embarcardero, catch the ferry, and go over to Coronado Island. The only downside of this location is it's across the street from the airport; however, this location is NOT on the flight path.

Anyone have feedback of the Hilton San Diego Resort on Mission Bay? It looks really nice from the outside and is a AAA rated 4 diamond resort hotel (and appears to be in your price range). Number is 619-276-4010. This hotel is right on some awesome bike/jogging paths (my roomie and I cycle past this from home). You can bike to Sea World as it's only a mile away. It is right on Mission Bay and offers canoe, bike, and paddleboat rentals. It does have both a spa and a gym. However, I'm not sure what equipment is in this gym. Anyone know???? Lastly, a cab ride shouldn't be too expensive to where you want to go (you could cycle to the Zoo if you want if you don't mind some steep hills). The only downsides of this place are: it's not near restaurants and it's right off the freeway.

I'll keep looking for other hotel options for you. Right now, I have to scoot and do my Cathe workout.

Lorrayne

I go to San Diego once or twice a year. I stay on pacific beach and love it! I also spend time in La Jolla which is very pretty. The place I stay in doesn't have a work out room but there is a small beach gym across the street. Look at surfer beach hotel. It has bike rentals nearby, lots of beach to run on and many shops. Seaworld is close as far as biking to it.

I am going again next month and canhardly wait. I plan to make the city my home some day.

Terri

While driving to work this morning (and passing Sea World), I was thinking of a couple other hotels that are right on Mission Bay (and closer to the ocean and away from freeway noise). There's an area called Dana Point that is in walking distance of Sea World and the ocean. It's also right on Mission Bay, too. Hotels that come to mind are:

Hyatt Regency Islandia Hotel. The grounds here are really nice and I believe is a half mile from Sea World.

Bahia Resort Hotel. This hotel looks nice (not as nice as the Hyatt Regency) and is also approx. half mile from Sea World and the beach.

I envy you living in San Diego Lorrayne! What kind of work do you do there if that isn't being to personal.

Terri

I'm a contractor supporting the Navy. I help design computer systems for the Fleet. I absolutely LOVE San Diego. I can understand why you want to move out here, Terri.
Lorrayne

I will be visiting there next month again and plan to look into what would be involved in opening a business there like the one I have here. Hire someone to manage this one and go be happy in a place I want to live. My son is grown and I just lost my 16 year old dog so I am free to go if I can get things worked out. Probably would take a few months.

Terri

Does anyone know if Humphreys Half Moon Inn Suites is a good place to stay in ? I know this is not a luxury hotel, and we don't want to pay too much for hotel as we will be out and around for most of the day anyways.

I personally LOVE Humphrey's. I've stayed here in the past and have recommended it to several people (all positive comments). Please note that in the summer the hotel holds outdoor concerts on their lawn. However, you can't hear it if you have an outward facing room (a view of San Diego Bay or you'll have a view of the marina).

I didn't recommend this hotel initially because it doesn't have a great gym. It's pretty small. However, great bike/jogging paths directly across the street from the hotel.

Lorrayne

Karen,

Attempted to send you a response but it bounced... Paradise Point is not a nice hotel. A friend of mine stayed there and disliked it tremendously.

Another hotel I've heard good things about is the Catamaran Resort Hotel. This also is on Mission Bay but is not in walking distance to Sea World. It has both a spa and a gym (hotel's web site picture shows both free weights and equipment). The downside of this is that it is in a congested area since it's in Pacific/Mission beach area.

Regardless, the hotel received pretty good reviews online as well (check out http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...amaran_Resort_Hotel-San_Diego_California.html). Also, check out the hotel's web site as well.

Hope this helps!
Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.