Re: calories burned/Polar F11 Heart Rate Monitor

Beth1

Cathlete
Polar is selling the F11 HR Monitor for 30% off - $111.87 (free shipping) if you send your old monitor back to them w/in 30 days of receiving your new F11. Has anyone ever done this - is it really a good deal? I've only bought one HR monitor about 6 months ago, an A5 and read through this site that the F11 is really good. Would like to get it, just want to make sure there isn't something I don't
know attached to Polar's deal. Anyone ever done this before with Polar?

Hi caren,

I sent Polar my A5 along with a check for that amount. Mailed it Priority, with delivery confirmation, which I received.

Polar can't find it, so they say I can call and order the F11 on a credit card, which I will probably do...now that I am without my A5 anyways. But it did make me a bit upset, and now there is a check out there that *could* be cashed if I don't pay the bank to put a "stop payment" on it.

I know I didn't really answer your question.....but wanted to chime in on my experience. I don't think there are any "hidden" fees or strings attached. If I would have known then what I do now, I would have ordered via phone, and sent in my A5 after I got the F11, like you're thinking of doing.

Julie
Edited to add: I just got off the phone with CS at Polar. He said they sent the F11 out via UPS on 11/14, and according to the tracking # he gave me, it is already out for delivery to me and I should have it today. I'll let ya know.....my check still hasn't cleared, and I hadn't re-ordered!

Just wondering, where is the site to purchase the F11 for 30% off after sending in your older hr. I went to the polar usa website and could not find it. I was thinking of asking for this F11 for x-mas..Thanks Chap....

Hi Chap,

I did it through the e-mail, kinda. I clicked the "contact us", asked if they still had the trade-up program, and they e-mailed me back with info. You can call 1-800-227-1314 and order it through their customer service. Or you can fax a trade-up request to 516-364-5454 attn: Customer Service. If you fax, make sure you include your name, address, daytime phone #, model you want, model you plan on returning, and payment info.

Hi Caren,

I did receive my F11 today. (Almost one month from when the Post Office delivered my A5 to them). It came in the original box, in a padded mailer, via UPS 2nd day air. It included everything as well as a receipt marked paid by my check. It looks really cool...wish I could do a workout tonight, and the self-tests, too. Will have to wait until tomorrow....

HTH, Julie

treaded my A5 in to polar and got the F11 and I love it. I have done this in the past as well and have always gotten great cutomer sevice through email

Deb

Well, I did it as well, received it yesterday and actually sent it back for a refund - which I now really question whether I should have or not. Thing is I just bought my A5 in September and suddenly realized that even tho I was getting a 30% discount, I was also sending back one I'd only recently spent $90 plus tax dollars on and suddenly felt like I was not only 'giving' it away but losing $45-$50 in the deal.
Of course I am now surfing the web to see if there are any cheaper prices listed for the F11. I guess it was the right thing to do for me, tho really do want the F11. I kept thinking if I'm going to buy another one (which I don't need, just want)then I should have two so I'll always have one as a back up. If I'd been using my A5 for a year or more it would have made more sense.
Must say tho, hearing you all has made me jealous.- Oh and I found out about the deal by calling Polar's 800 # to ask about the F11 - customer service told me about it.

Julie - let me know how it works. It did seem a bit complicated to me - I don't want something I have to program to start every workout. I begin at 5 AM, computer programing would be too much at that hour - I can work my muscles then, but having to think too much would be a problem.
Thanks.

Caren,

LOL.......yup, programming at 0500 would hurt my head...It was not nearly as complicated as I thought it would be.

No, you do not have to re-program every workout. You can either use your prior-set Ownzone thing (which you set up beforehand, and can change or not), or switch it to manual, which gives you a range based on your age. (like the A5). I am going to try the manual setting tomorrow just to see how it differs.

If you want to get real fancy, you can program it to all kinds of neat things. I did most of it last night.

All in all it was much easier than I thought it would be; the directions are pretty clear. I am happy with it. I had my A5 for over a year and it was needing battery changes and such, so I opted for this one. But, if all you need is to keep up with calories burned and HR training zones, the A5 is great.

Julie

i have the f11 and love it! i started out with an a5.... liked it ok... then got an s720i for my bike but used it for working out too.... now i use the f11 for all workouts (and the s720i for the bike, of course).. never use the a5...

i didn't do trade in for any of them so i have 3 heart rate monitors!

I broke down yesterday and paid full price at Sports Authority for the F11. Weirdly enough, I feel better about spending the extra money and not losing my A5 which is still working great - hope I find programing it as easy as you did. I was on the phone with Polar for almost an hour yesterday getting verbal instructions so am not so afraid of it anymore. Funny thing is, this all started with calories burned (felt like I had to be burning more than my A5 said) and wouldn't you know it Polar technician informs me that you only get high calorie readout when you're working in low intensity zones (he said 60% and below), basically he said that since I only do 3 cardios' a week and they're all in the 75 - 90% range (90% only with IMax's) my calorie readouts are going to be low. Worst part is, I kind of knew this - given that you mainly burn glycogen in higher ranges - but raise your metabolism high enough to actually burn more fat and calories after. I drive myself crazy, I know so much about this stuff and then become obsessed with calories because I read about other people burning more. I'm also 49 years old, 5'5 and weigh about 119 so my calorie burning is not going to be nearly as high as all of you in your 20's and 30's.
But, I really do like all the features of the F11 and think I'll allow myself to keep this one - but did any one tell you you're supposed to wash the transmitter strap in the washing machine at least once a week if not more!!! That's high maintanance to the extreme. However I love the diary feature and the fitness test - have to admit the ownzone may be a little much - esp since I was told you should do the 5 minute warm up test before each session - this is not going to happen.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm going to try to set it up tomorrow morning and use it since it's Saturday and have more time to curse it if it doesn't cooperate.

I was so tempted by this trade-in offer, so I went to the Polar Website and wrote to Customer service. Here is their response to my inquiry about the trade-up:

We [sic]longer offer a trade-in program. This program has not been offered for years.

Have a Great Day,

Ron
Netsales Central Inc.
Authorized Polar Heart Rate Monitor Dealer
www.polar-usa.us

Well, I saved myself some money, anyway!

Performing some cursing may keep you in the 60% zone.....burn some fat!;)

I did use the manual feature today, but I changed the HR zone. I am 45, so it sets it lower than I would like. Did Imax 2 with absolutely everything I had in me....didn't miss a beat, and burned a whopping 377 calories. ;(

With SJP yesterday, I used moderate effort, and burned 385 calories (before the abs). Pretty low burns, if ya ask me, but I havent had a monitor in months so it was fun to compare my average and max HR from before....There was a time I burned almost 500 from SJP!!

I ain't gonna wash that thing in my washer.....I will do like I did my old one, rinsing it in the sink every day or so. They are nuts....I didn't read that, I only read that you *could* throw it in if you wanted. I am not too sure about the OwnZone business, either, but may work with it some later on.

Hope you like it and are satisfied with your purchase...you can return it if not??

Julie

That's the netsales website, not the polar website. Netsales is just an authorized internet dealer along with about 15 other websites. Clever, isn't it, that their web address is so similar. Polar-usa is really netsales. The acutal polar site is polarusa.
Beth

Beth,
Thank you so much for noticing that and taking the time to let me know :). I think I know what my XMAS gift to myself will be this year!

I love, love this HRM - did automatic for heart rate limits - also did the fitness test. I couldn't believe it, I got a 45 which the monitor said in bold letters - 'Elite', I flipped, this from a woman who was nothing but flab in her 30's. And the best, most satisfying part was the calories burned. When I did IMAX 2 last Wed. my A5 told me I'd burned 170 calories. With the F11, my heart rate numbers were the same, only difference on Sat. was that I had a little less energy than Wed., but the F11 told me I'd not only burned 334 calories (fantastic) but that 45% of those were fat calories, I will never return this thing. Which must mean that you burned even more 'fat cals' than me as total calories were higher. And, don't forget an interval workout means, hopefully, that you're burning more after the workout as well. I also washed like I did the other one but was doing a cold water wash on Sunday so bought the net bag to put the strap in and threw it in the wash. After all it is my favorite thing in the world right now.
Cathe's workouts are incredible, only started doing her weight work last Oct. and only began her cardio routines about 6 months ago (was afraid to try before then), cannot believe the improvements and at 49, no less.
Keep in mind, you may not be seeing 500 calories now because you may be working at a higher intensity which would mean that 385 calories is high.
Now major challenge is getting through Thanksgiving without eating a whole pumpkin pie.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.