Re: Amy Bento

erinw

Cathlete
I am not sure if this is an appropriate question for a Cathe forum or not. (Can we talk about other instructors here?) But I was wondering if anyone here has done workouts by Amy Bento? If so, how does she compare to Cathe?

She doesn't even compare to Cathe. Her cueing is not good, IMHO. Cathe truly is the best advanced instructor out there.

Hello
I have 2 dvds by Amy Bento. Overall she is a good instructor, has potential but she is not there yet. Cathe is just on another level IMHO. I just did Amy's all pump extreme. It's 2 hours long. I thought I would feel more muscle fatigue than I do now. If I work 2 hours of muscle with Cathe, I feel like jello. There was a couple of moves I didn't care for, I think they would hurt my knees, so I either lowered my risers or raised them depending on the exercise. She also had you do pull ups; she had 32 risers to put her bar on Sorry can't do that I had to run down stairs to my husband squat rack and try to do them. I didn't care for the stretch afterwards. I previewed Kickbox Extreme it looks fun, but her form at times appears sloppy or maybe she was tired while filming. Some of the background exercisers did not have good form either. Yes I know it's cardio aerobics, but I always try to use good form and want my instructor to use it also.
If you have the Money to splurge, I would try her, but if not stick with Cathe. You will get a better workout.
I did notice Amy is using Greg Twonbley (cathe's producer) and same clothing source.....
Didn't she go to CAthe's road trip last year??

Jen

I have to say I am really liking Amy. I recently got her Kickbox Xtreme and Hi/Lo Xtreme. Yes, she doesn't have the BEST form but the music is rockin and I was sweating up a storm. Everyone isn't supposed to be like Cathe. Amy has only filmed two times compared to the Cathe filming since what the late 80's or early 90's. Of course you can't compare them totally. Cathe's older workouts she doesn't cue well all the time either and her form wasn't the greatest in all either. I think it is great that there are people who have done Cathe and know that there needs to be more advanced workouts out there and are willing to put up their money and time to help us advanced people out there. I say, keep them coming. That's just more great workouts for me to choose from. Also, if you do a search on Google for Cathe you will see there are a bunch of workouts that Cathe filmed when she first started out that you can't even buy now. Maybe they weren't great, she was just starting out, I don't know the reason. To sum up, I really enjoy Amy too (of course Cathe is the best!) and I see her only improving. She really takes our suggestions to heart and compared to her offerings from her first, the next set really improved from what people on her website said. I say if you want to try something new, try it and if you don't like it then fine. You could buy from Collage Video and they will accept a return within 30 days if you don't like it. I hope this helps.:) :D :)

Thanks for all the input, ladies. I think I will pass on trying one of Amy's workouts for now. I checked out the previews on collage video's website and I didn't think she had good form, nor did she seem to cue very well. It's disappointing, because I really like kickboxing and hers seemed intense enough for me. I will stick with Cathe. :)

I really tried to like HiLo Extreme, but I ended up sending it back. It was too much of a space hog and I didn't feel like it was intense enough. I have limited amounts to spend on workout DVD's and have to really enjoy them to make an investment. I do think she has great potential.

Cheryl

I enjoy Amy Bento as much as I enjoy my Cathe's. I own the following: Cardio Pump Step, Cardio Pump Hi/Lo, Hi/Lo Extreme, Kickbox Extreme, Advanced Step Challenge, and I have the Abs & Stretch on the way. Cardio Pump Step and Cardio Pump Hi/Lo are short. They clock in at right under 50 minutes but I find myself reaching for these a lot. The set isn't great b/c these are some of her first offerings, but these pack a lot of punch for being under 50 minutes. The cardio is short, sweet, and intense and so is the pump section. Fun, fun, fun and just tough enough. I firmly believe many workouts are as tough as one makes them by what is put into it. Advanced Step Challenge is awesome! Again, this is one of her first, first offerings. The set if boring, the music should be louder, but the choreography and intensity is through the roof!!! It is too short, but what a sweaty fun workout with a bonus power up section. HLX and KBX are well over an hour. Fun, intense cardio with pumping music and awesome premixes as well as much better produced. A lot of All Pump Extreme footage is on the HLX workout in the form of premixes. Amy's Hi/Lo is athletic but a little bit dancier/fancier than Cathe's. It's really, really fun. Amy's Step is quite a bit more complex than Cathe, with little break down, which I've found I love, since I do these workouts over and over again. The workouts I have from Amy have been worth every penny and they are getting a lot of usage from me! I wouldn't try her for the longest time, but I'm super thrilled with the workouts I now have. Check out Advancedworkouts.com. I believe some of Amy's workouts are on sale now.
Angela:7

>I have to say I am really liking Amy. I recently got her
>Kickbox Xtreme and Hi/Lo Xtreme. Yes, she doesn't have the
>BEST form but the music is rockin and I was sweating up a
>storm. Everyone isn't supposed to be like Cathe. Amy has
>only filmed two times compared to the Cathe filming since what
>the late 80's or early 90's. Of course you can't compare them
>totally. Cathe's older workouts she doesn't cue well all the
>time either and her form wasn't the greatest in all either. I
>think it is great that there are people who have done Cathe
>and know that there needs to be more advanced workouts out
>there and are willing to put up their money and time to help
>us advanced people out there. I say, keep them coming.
>That's just more great workouts for me to choose from. Also,
>if you do a search on Google for Cathe you will see there are
>a bunch of workouts that Cathe filmed when she first started
>out that you can't even buy now. Maybe they weren't great,
>she was just starting out, I don't know the reason. To sum
>up, I really enjoy Amy too (of course Cathe is the best!) and
>I see her only improving. She really takes our suggestions to
>heart and compared to her offerings from her first, the next
>set really improved from what people on her website said. I
>say if you want to try something new, try it and if you don't
>like it then fine. You could buy from Collage Video and they
>will accept a return within 30 days if you don't like it. I
>hope this helps.:) :D :)

THAT's what I was trying to say. Well put Toni!
Angela:7
Edited three times to spell your name right...first it was Tina, then Tony, THEN I got it right!

Angela,

Ha! That was funny. No worries though, you finally got it in the end right!!!;-) You are right too. Workouts are what you make of it and not everyone will like everything. When I first started with Cathe I couldn't believe how many people on other sites said they didn't like Cathe and I was worried about using her but had to try for myself. To each his/her own right. We all just have to find what works for us and that may require trial and error. Have a good night Angela.:p

I like Amy's workouts. No one is the same as an instructor. If they all were the same why buy them:) I like her workouts. I do not have all of them. I just ordered her KBX. I have APX, A Team Bootcamp, Cardio Pump & Step, Abs & Stretch, Step Challenge. I still need to learn the choreography in Step Challenge. I know the first segment and the add on. I tink that they are a good change. I still favor Cathe. APX is probably my favorite, then Abs and Stretch and Bootcamp. I do split bootcamp up a lot of the time. Lower cardio segments or just cardio. She does get the heart rate up and she has some different moves in the strength workouts. I hope I am helping. It takes me awhile before I will buy a workout because I hate buying a workout I dont carte for. I watch reviews, who reviews them, and the clips, comments here and there and read everything on the websites. We all have certain things that will draw us to a workout:)
http://wd.1ww.us
http://1ww.us/logo2.gif

I also returned hi/lo extreme. It was a spacehog. I just did not have the room, plus her cueing is terrible but once you learn the moves it doesn't matter. I just didn't have the room. I traded for Patrick Goudeau. Love, love, love it. He is alot of fun. Not as hard as Cathe and difficult choreography but it is fun.
LD

I have most of Amy's workouts and really enjoy all of them, but I particularly love Kickbox Extreme...the music is great and the workout is SO much fun (not to mention tough!)...I sweat up a storm and the endorphins really kick in! :)

Both Amy and Tracey Staehle were on the road trip. :)

I like Hi/Lo and Kickbox Xtreme. Amy's style is different from Cathe's. I love Cathe she is my number one fav for step and weights but I don't groove a lot of her hi/lo stuff. I also like Tracey Stahles STep mix and I am anxiously awaiting Sweatfest. Cathe is the cream of the crop she's been around a while and is the master.

Each one has a different style so the variety prevents boredom.;-)

Well, if you buy it on Collage video you can always return it if you don't like it.
They do guarantee them don't they?
Anne

Yes, I do think Collage has a satisfaction guarantee. But I still think I will pass on Amy's workouts. Too many mixed reviews here and in other places. Thanks to all who replied!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.