Raw foods????

worseenemy

Cathlete
I just wanted to know if any body here have tried raw food before,:p last night I was watching Secret lives of women on the We channel and they have this women talking about crazy kind of lifestyle diets, but this one cough my attention, and i kind want to try some of her recipes, I found the website and later today I'm going to check it out.
I'm going to do my workout and after that I will check..:p:eek:

http://www.rawguru.com/raw-food-interviews/gabrielle-brick.html

I have heard about it and it makes perfect sense to me. I love raw food and really do enjoy raw meat like sashimi and steak tartare...YUM.

It is expensive to eat this way and can be time consuming. Cooking food really does damage alot of the nutrience. I have a juicer at home and I enjoy making juices for my family. I live in California and try to take advantage of all the produce.

How is insanity going?! I started and am sooo exhausted. What have your results been..please share I am dying to know. Also how was your diet?

There is no one version of a raw foods diet. And you can make it as complicated or as easy as you like. Personally I'm a mostly-raw vegan. No meat (personal choice), no dairy (allergies).

I take the pretty easy route.
Breakfast - green smoothie ala vitamix
Most meals and snacks - salads and fruit. Some convenience bars (raw, vegan)
Dinner - steamed veggies.
Treats - sprouted grain pasta, manna bread, etc

I'm also lucky enough to live near a raw food deli. They have some yummy foods that are harder to make. I get them as a treat - not-tuna salad, cheezcake, lazagna and the like. I only get these once in awhile as they can be addictive!

there are a lot of very nice raw food 'cook'books out there. A lot of websites. Some threads on this board as well.

If you're really interested you might want to look at Natalia Rose's Raw Food Detox book. I don't care for parts of her book (mostly the waste managment), but she has a great outline for moving into raw foods gradually. In fact she doesn't suggest going cold-turkey (so to speak, lol)

I know that I feel better. I think you get clearer skin, even a 'glow' (so I'm told) And it absolutely helps me stick with a program - fewer binge and trigger foods.

I have heard about it and it makes perfect sense to me. I love raw food and really do enjoy raw meat like sashimi and steak tartare...YUM.

It is expensive to eat this way and can be time consuming. Cooking food really does damage alot of the nutrience. I have a juicer at home and I enjoy making juices for my family. I live in California and try to take advantage of all the produce.

How is insanity going?! I started and am sooo exhausted. What have your results been..please share I am dying to know. Also how was your diet?

Hi Pinkquinn : So you know some recipes? I know it can be expensive and I like you have a juicer and i like to do juices for my girls,
Oh my gosh Insanity is kicking my Butt" I'm so ready, one more day and its over!!! I hate love it, first I last maybe 3 pounds, my arms got little bit more define, not like WOW but some is better than nothing, I'm happy at the end of this week I finish all the push ups on my toes, the moving push ups I did better, My torso got tight I haven't measure my waist but my obliques are feeling awesome..My legs are more strong I have muscle..
You know I was reading that for us to be able to do all this plyo moves we have to be able to leg press are own weight for at least 12 reps? I don't know if I can do that but maybe if i try i will found out!!:eek:
My eating did not change a lot I did not have any junk food, I reduce bread intake and I got good protein, and the best thing of all is I did not last any strength that I gain doing STS.
I can't wait.. You know the first month I didn't do it for 6 days so I kinda was thinking on doing 2 more weeks but with the first month DVD's or at least one more week. Yes I know I'm crazy:D
So you live in California? What part.. I live in California too..

I love raw food and really do enjoy raw meat like sashimi and steak tartare...YUM.

Me too!!! I find myself going for days not eating cooked food, just raw fruits/veggies but I cook my chicken. But I just had to jump in to say how I love steak tartare.

I've been raw (about 95%) since March (after 15 years as a vegetarian, then 15 years as a vegan). I plan to add some more cooked foods (or not!) into my diet for the winter, but still plan to be around 70%+ raw.

I used the summer to experiment and learn different raw-food techniques (dehydrating, making wraps, making crackers, etc.).

Raw foods can be very simple (like the recipes in Jennifer Cornbleets "Raw Food Made Easy for One or Two People"), or you can go 'gourmet" and use lots of equipment (and some raw recipe books--I don't/can't call them 'cook'books!--use a ridiculous amount of hard-to-find ingredients and recipes with lots of steps to them). People often start with more dehydrated and denser raw foods, but gradually evolve to eating more simply). I use my Vitamix daily at least once (for a green smoothie in the morning--I have a lot of recipes for those in my blog here: http://thecathenation.com/forum/blog.php?b=1595 . Green smoothies are how I began going raw ) if not 2-3 times. I also use a dehydrator for dehydrating nuts after I've soaked them, and for making crackers and marinating foods and heating foods--below 115 degrees).

I have a juicer, but I don't use it. I'd rather have the whole fruit or veggie, blended up in my Vitamix. The very few times I've wanted juice, it's either fresh-squeezed citrus, or I blend up the ingredients in my Vitamix and strain through a nut-milk bag (which seems to get out more juice than using a juicer!).

There are LOTS of recipes online, and youtube has some good videos (René Oswald and Ani Pyo both have a lot of videos there).

Here's a link to two raw food ebooks (one is a primer for getting started, the other has recipes). They are FREE to download, and are pretty good: http://purejeevan.com/rawfoods101.html

If you're really interested in this, I highly recommend René Oswald's "Transitioning to Living Cuisine" (available as a spiral-bound book or as an e-book. Sometimes, she does a special when you can get both for the same price, which is how I got mine). She does a wonderful, gradual approach to going raw, in 7 steps, and even though I'd read at least two dozen raw books before getting hers, I still learned alot.

Some good books with easy-to-make, tasty recipes are Jennifer Cornbleets "Raw Food Made Easy" (already mentioned), Nomi Shannon's "Raw Gourmet", Ani Phyo's "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" and Rod Rotondi's "Raw Food for Real People". (I recommend to stay FAR AWAY from Juliano's "Raw" and Bryan Au's "Raw Food in 10 minutes". The first has extremely complex recipes, with many hard-to-find ingredients. The second is annoying--Au has a HUGE ego, it seems--and the food isn't very healthy, IMO. Also, some books, like Igor and Valya Boutenko's early book, have HUGE amounts of nuts and oils in many of the recipes. NOT a healthy way to go, IMO.)

Another resource is to check out www.meetup.com and see if there is a raw-food meet-up group near you. I found one 2 hours from me, and I've been to two of the monthly potlucks already.

Here's a recipe for "Sunburgers" from Ani Phyo's book "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" :

Chop finely and put in a bowl :
2 stalks celery
1/4 cup yellow onion
1/2 cup red bell pepper

Add 1 tsp sea salt (I substitute with about 1/2 tsp miso--which is one of the few soy products I do eat!)
2 tsp oregano (last time I made these, I subbed mexican seasoning. This is where you can play around to get the flavor you prefer. One great thing about raw foods, is the recipes are very forgiving. And you can taste as you go, since the flavor of the finished product doesn't change drastically from when you are first mixing things up, except for some flavors --like salt and garlic--intensifying with dehydrating)
1 cup ground raw sunflower seeds (preferably soaked4-6 hours, then rinsed and allowed to dry)
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional: my addition)
2 Tbsp chia gel (optional: another addition)

Mix well, then add:
1/2 cup water
And mix again

Form 3-4 patties (I have a 'hamburger press'--that cost about $3.95--that I use to make these, and they look a lot like Amy's veggie burgers.)

Eat as is, or dehydrate at 105 degrees for 3 hours (this gives them a bit more of a cooked texture and intensifies flavors a bit. This is how I eat them.)

Serve two large romaine leaves as "bread".

HTH!

Last edited:
I've been raw (about 95%) since March (after 15 years as a vegetarian, then 15 years as a vegan). I plan to add some more cooked foods (or not!) into my diet for the winter, but still plan to be around 70%+ raw.

I used the summer to experiment and learn different raw-food techniques (dehydrating, making wraps, making crackers, etc.).

Raw foods can be very simple (like the recipes in Jennifer Cornbleets "Raw Food Made Easy for One or Two People"), or you can go 'gourmet" and use lots of equipment (and some raw recipe books--I don't/can't call them 'cook'books!--use a ridiculous amount of hard-to-find ingredients and recipes with lots of steps to them). People often start with more dehydrated and denser raw foods, but gradually evolve to eating more simply). I use my Vitamix daily at least once (for a green smoothie in the morning--I have a lot of recipes for those in my blog here: http://thecathenation.com/forum/blog.php?b=1595 . Green smoothies are how I began going raw ) if not 2-3 times. I also use a dehydrator for dehydrating nuts after I've soaked them, and for making crackers and marinating foods and heating foods--below 115 degrees).

I have a juicer, but I don't use it. I'd rather have the whole fruit or veggie, blended up in my Vitamix. The very few times I've wanted juice, it's either fresh-squeezed citrus, or I blend up the ingredients in my Vitamix and strain through a nut-milk bag (which seems to get out more juice than using a juicer!).

There are LOTS of recipes online, and youtube has some good videos (René Oswald and Ani Pyo both have a lot of videos there).

Here's a link to two raw food ebooks (one is a primer for getting started, the other has recipes). They are FREE to download, and are pretty good: http://purejeevan.com/rawfoods101.html

If you're really interested in this, I highly recommend René Oswald's "Transitioning to Living Cuisine" (available as a spiral-bound book or as an e-book. Sometimes, she does a special when you can get both for the same price, which is how I got mine). She does a wonderful, gradual approach to going raw, in 7 steps, and even though I'd read at least two dozen raw books before getting hers, I still learned alot.

Some good books with easy-to-make, tasty recipes are Jennifer Cornbleets "Raw Food Made Easy" (already mentioned), Nomi Shannon's "Raw Gourmet", Ani Phyo's "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" and Rod Rotondi's "Raw Food for Real People". (I recommend to stay FAR AWAY from Juliano's "Raw" and Bryan Au's "Raw Food in 10 minutes". The first has extremely complex recipes, with many hard-to-find ingredients. The second is annoying--Au has a HUGE ego, it seems--and the food isn't very healthy, IMO. Also, some books, like Igor and Valya Boutenko's early book, have HUGE amounts of nuts and oils in many of the recipes. NOT a healthy way to go, IMO.)

Another resource is to check out www.meetup.com and see if there is a raw-food meet-up group near you. I found one 2 hours from me, and I've been to two of the monthly potlucks already.

Here's a recipe for "Sunburgers" from Ani Phyo's book "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" :

Chop finely and put in a bowl :
2 stalks celery
1/4 cup yellow onion
1/2 cup red bell pepper

Add 1 tsp sea salt (I substitute with about 1/2 tsp miso--which is one of the few soy products I do eat!)
2 tsp oregano (last time I made these, I subbed mexican seasoning. This is where you can play around to get the flavor you prefer. One great thing about raw foods, is the recipes are very forgiving. And you can taste as you go, since the flavor of the finished product doesn't change drastically from when you are first mixing things up, except for some flavors --like salt and garlic--intensifying with dehydrating)
1 cup ground raw sunflower seeds (preferably soaked4-6 hours, then rinsed and allowed to dry)
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional: my addition)
2 Tbsp chia gel (optional: another addition)

Mix well, then add:
1/2 cup water
And mix again

Form 3-4 patties (I have a 'hamburger press'--that cost about $3.95--that I use to make these, and they look a lot like Amy's veggie burgers.)

Eat as is, or dehydrate at 105 degrees for 3 hours (this gives them a bit more of a cooked texture and intensifies flavors a bit. This is how I eat them.)

Serve two large romaine leaves as "bread".

HTH!

Thanks kathryn:D
You always have ideas for a lot of stuff. :D I'm not planning on been raw food eater any time soon, because I still have 2 little ones that I don't think they will like this idea, but definitely i want to try some of this food.
I'm going to try your recipe and the smooth that you said. and check this websites,
Thanks again..;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.