Quinoa Granola

ellenj73

Cathlete
I've been trying some of the quinoa granola recipes out there and think I've finally gotten down the right ratios. I know it sounds odd to put all these ingredients in 'raw', but it works. I used gluten free rolled oats, but that is what I had in the house, not that I'm gluten-free.

Quinoa Granola

1 1/4 cup regular OR gluten-free rolled oats (not quaker instant, k?)
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained (not cooked)
1 cup buckwheat cereal (if you don't have this, then use 2 1/4 cups rolled oats)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup unsweeted coconut
2 T chia seeds
2 T flaxmeal (or flax seed, whatever you have on hand :))

1/2 cup maple syrup (not the fake stuff)
1/4 cup agave syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted.

Dried fruit ~ 1 cup all together. I used some blueberries, cranberries, pineapple, and dried cherries. Dice them up nicely.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set oven to 300F.

Mix the oats thru the flaxmeal together in a bowl. Add the dried fruit. Pour the melted coconut oil on. Mix the maple syrup and agave together in another bowl, mix with the other ingredients.

Pour onto prepared sheet, pop in the over for about an hour. Watch it after 45 minutes to make sure that it doesn't get too golden. Take it out, cool it off.

PUt in an airtight container and it will keep for about 4 weeks (if it lasts that long). Put it over yogurt, ice-cream, straight out of the container :) For me it satisfies the salty, the sweet and the crunchy cravings I get in a healthy way.

Nutrition Info: (For 20 servings)
Calories 280.1; Total Fat 13.5 g; Saturated Fat 6.7 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 2.7 g; Monounsaturated Fat 2.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg; Sodium 24.7 mg; Potassium 142.6 mg; Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g; Dietary Fiber 4.6 g; Sugars 16.6 g; Protein 5.3 g

Looks like most of the calories are coming from the coconut oil. If you would like to take out ~56 calories from each serving, you could probably eliminate the coconut oil without any affect on the recipe.

Last edited:
I'm going to try it but I have a question.

What is a serving size (i.e. 1/2 cup, 2 Tablespoons). Also the nutritional value is for a serving NOT the entire 20 servings worth?

Best,
-Michele

Wouldn't that be nice for the entire size of the granola batch to be those few calories :) Unfortunately it is for ~ 1/3 cup.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I took myself off of forums for a bit.

Most of the calorie consumption is arriving from the grape oil. If you would like to take out 56 calorie consumption from each providing, you could probably remove the grape oil without any impact on the formula.

quinoa/Almond powder

Thanks for posting this.

I am going to try this week end:

I would like to substitute quinoa with Almond powder.
Hope it does not crumble :D

Hi,
Thank you for the recipe. I should try this, I have my own recipe of doing so, but I would love to try yours. I love quinoa granola so much because I know it contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. It also helps to prevent heart disease by reducing high blood pressure and diabetes.
-Rosetta

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.