question from intermediate exerciser

bhall07

Hi, I am trying to figure out where to start and need some help. I have been doing the firm for the last 3 or so years but actually started with Cathe with her beginner/intermediate workouts but then saw the firm infomercial and went to them. I am not seeing results anymore and i really like cathe's style. These are the videos that I have:

Basic step/Body fushion
Low impact step/total body sculpting
total body stretching
stretch max
high step circuit
supersets/push pull
pyramid upper and lower body
power hour/maximum intensity strength/body max

I really like the LIS and it is just right for me. With the firm you really never do a full 40-50 minute cardio workout so this workout is about my limit, but cathe's beginner workouts are too easy and the weights are not heavy enough, but on the flip side the total body workouts that I do have are very hard for me. I really need weight loss more than anything. I obviously need more cardio workouts from cathe but not sure what to get. I was thinking about either the classics because the difficulty level is about where i need to be or i was going to get the advanced bundle with the health club step because i have been working with the smaller step and it is awful. I could do the premixes with the advanced bundle, but wanted to know what everyone thought first. I have also considered getting:

Low max
low impact circuit
kick, punch, crunch
core max

any advice would be great!

Beth

I'm not a Cathe expert at all, but have been using her workouts exclusively for the past few months after FIRMing for 3 years, and am accumulating a pretty good collection.

As I was reading your post, my first thoughts turned out to be your first listings: Low Max and Low Impact Circuit, both of which I really like. Low Max is cardio, with fun choreography--your enjoyment of that will depend on how well you like learning patterns. Anyone who considers TheFIRM UCB to be tricky would not like Low Max, in my opinion. I enjoyed the challenge of learning it. LIC has the cardio factor, but it is a circuit workout and has strength segments, so they're very different workouts. I also have KPC, but have only done it a couple of times. I'm not a big fan of kickboxing, but I did enjoy this workout, as I recall, but can't really give a recommendation. Core Max, of course, is exactly what it says and is great to have.

Edited to add: I just read a thread below about Step Blast. I had forgotten about that one--that's another favorite of mine.

I second the Low Max and LIC suggestions. Both are good workouts and not too hard. At least if you keep your step lower to begin with. I'm not a fan of kickboxing either but that's a fun kickbox tape. CoreMax is always good to have and I like Ab Hits as well. My primary suggestion would be LIC. I think that's the best all-body workout at that level.

Missy

were you looking to buy ALL that you listed? it would be tough to choose just one because they are different types of workouts. one is an interval, a circuit training, kickboxing and ab. it's a nice mix actually.

first, buy the club step. the small step is terrible.

then, get step blast (step jump and pump). this is a must own.

LIC is a good option for you. I like that one.

Low max is over an hour. i think it ranks lower in difficulty than the imaxes, but I personally think it's pretty tough. it feels pretty long too running over an hour. Imax 2 is my favorite interval workout and i believe it's one of cathe's best sellers.

also look at high step challenge. if you have done the firm, you probably have a high step/fanny lifter?

all of cathe's workouts are good. you can't go wrong with Cathe.

Low Impact Circuit has premixes so you can just use it for cardio, you could also use it for weight workout on it's own. I don't care much circuits, so I often do the premix for cardio, and then a premix for weights ... highly versatile.

The classics would be good to get a handle on Cathe's style and they are more of an intermediate level. I strongly suggest you get the longer club step if you are going to be doing step routines for cardio. Can't imagine trying to do step without it.

LowMax is a good cardio workout. The premixes generally just cut the video in two so they are shorter and more doable for an intermediate.

Anohter circuit workout you didn't mention, but which has good premix options also and is good for intermediates is Cardio and Weights. It comes w/ IMAX2, so if you're not into intervals, this isn't one you'd want right away as it's more expensive because of the 2 workouts on one DVD.

Step Blast is fun, however, it is more complex choreography.

HTH & Happy Holidays! Deb

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.