Question for walkers....

toughYrun

Cathlete
I have convinced a friend to walk a marathon. Walking for exercise is new for her and she's a bit confused about what shoes she should wear. I know a thing or two about training for a marathon but only as a runner so I'm really unable to advise her on the important aspect of what shoes to wear. Will running shoes suffice or are walking shoes advised? It is important to determine what type of shoe a person needs for running. Does this hold true for walking shoes? TIA for any info you can provide.

Hi Elaine!

I used to do a lot of walking and yes, it's very important to wear the right shoes. I know lots of people who wear running shoes for walking. I think it depends on the anatomy of your foot. For instance, I have a high arch and instep so it's important for me to wear a shoe with a slightly higher heel with good arch and metatarsal support, and cushioning (many walking shoes have a lower heel). I would recommend a good store that specializes in walking/running shoes. They usually have people who are trained to fit you. Where I go they actually make you take your shoes off and walk as they observe your gait.

Edited to correct typos:eek:

Definately take your friend to a good shoe store and have professionals fit her with the appropriate shoe(s). As a former PF victim, the right shoes are critical for success. Good Luck!

Yes, the shoe store is the only way to go. A friend of mine walked a marathon and was recommended a running shoe because it was a long distance and the shoe was a bit lighter. All running shoes are different though, and she needs to be fitted by a pro.

Andrea

i walk the nyc marathon every year.

i am 6 feet tall and i run and power walk. for both, i wear running shoes. i do however, wear certain pairs for running and certain pairs for walking. the reason for this is how they wear with the pounding and stride of the foot.

walking shoes didnt work for me. i am very tough on shoes and destroy them in no time. they just didnt give me the support i needed, and my feet were hurting in different ways. i use orthotics as well. running shoes work for me. that is the key phrase. each person needs to find out what works for them. walking or running shoe, and then the brands and type of shoe (motion control, stability or cushioned).

suri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.