Question for personal trainers

kirsten777

Cathlete
Hi,

Is there a way to find out if someone really is certified by who they say they are? He has the icons for IDEA and ISSA, but doesn't list any specific certifications - so I am a bit skeptical. He is a former pro-football player who runs bootcamps - for some reason that seems to be the choice for a few of them, at least where I live. Anyway, some friends of mine, went to his 6 week bootcamp, he didn't care about anyone's actual level of fitness. One of my friends is close to 350lbs, and he kept making her feel bad if she couldn't keep up with the more fit people in the class.:mad:

Anyway, any advice you can give would be great. I've been doing some research on becoming a personal fitness trainer and all the bells keep ringing whenever I hear about this guy.

Kirsten

I'm not a personal trainer but I'm sure you could call ISSA and ask them if he is certified through them.

Also, just because someone is certified doesn't mean that he/she is a great trainer. There are good teachers, good doctors, etc but there are also bad teachers, bad doctors, etc.

I went to a fitness boot camp and I was really shocked by what I saw and heard from the trainers. I saw them give heavy weights to people that had never used them before and comment to me on how so and so should know how to do a proper squat by now but not go up to them and correct them. They ignored the heavy people or did not show them modifications or give them any kind of encouragement. I did learn about kettlebells there so it wasn't a complete waste for me but I eventually stopped going and started doing my own boot camp workouts in my backyard.

If you are interested in attending, check out his certifications, ask him questions and see if you can go and watch him instruct a class.

Hi Kristen,

I am an ACE certified personal trainer. On the ACE website they have a place where you can look up and check to see if someone is really certified and find other certified trainers in your area, so I'd try that with the IDEA and ISSA sites too, or call them if you're not sure.

I'm so sorry your friends had a bad experience and I have to agree with Jane, just because someone is certified doesn't mean they are a good trainer (ie. cares, listens, teaches and has compassion and understanding as well as a strong working knowledge of the body and how it moves, exercises, etc.)

I'd be skeptical--some people think that just because they played sports means they can effectively be a trainer and it sounds like his real goal is making $$ off people if he doesn't really care about their fitness and emotional well-being.

Hi,

Is there a way to find out if someone really is certified by who they say they are? He has the icons for IDEA and ISSA, but doesn't list any specific certifications - so I am a bit skeptical. He is a former pro-football player who runs bootcamps - for some reason that seems to be the choice for a few of them, at least where I live. Anyway, some friends of mine, went to his 6 week bootcamp, he didn't care about anyone's actual level of fitness. One of my friends is close to 350lbs, and he kept making her feel bad if she couldn't keep up with the more fit people in the class.:mad:

Anyway, any advice you can give would be great. I've been doing some research on becoming a personal fitness trainer and all the bells keep ringing whenever I hear about this guy.

Kirsten

Hi,

Kirsten

Hi, Kirsten! Good question. I'll note, in addition to what the other responders have mentioned, that IDEA is not a third-party accredited certifying body like ACE, NSCA, NASM, ASCM, AFAA, or the like; it is merely a membership organization for people who are working in the fitness field. Which is to say - merely having the IDEA icon or logo is no indication at all that this person is actually certified in group fitness and/or personal training. (I should know what ISSA stands for but I don't.)

If someone claims to have been certified by one of the above organizations I'm sure you can contact those organizations by phone or website and confirm whether or not that person is certified. If s/he makes no such claim (and believe you me, if a person IS certified s/he would indicate that prominently as part of the "press kit"), then you can be fairly confident s/he isn't certified at all.

A-Jock

Good question. Not sure about that. I'm cert. with AFAA. I would just start asking questions--why s/he went with that organization, when certified, how hard was it to get certified, what was the study/exam like??? If the trainer talks about it, you'll likely be able to tell. If s/he avoids a conversation, that will be quite telling!

Hi,

Kirsten

If someone claims to have been certified by one of the above organizations I'm sure you can contact those organizations by phone or website and confirm whether or not that person is certified. If s/he makes no such claim (and believe you me, if a person IS certified s/he would indicate that prominently as part of the "press kit"), then you can be fairly confident s/he isn't certified at all.

A-Jock

Thanks for the responses everyone! I was thinking the same thing, Annette, when the time comes, and I get all my different certifications, they will be prominently displayed on my the website I'll be creating! If someone is going to go to all that work and expense to study and take the exams you would think they would too. I've emailed ISSA, I'm willing to bet they will have never heard of him! Especially since a month ago, those icons weren't on his website! Though, I don't think certifications would do him any good anyways, he already thinks he knows it all - for the sake of all his clients I hope no one ever gets hurt! I have been able to persuade one friend to avoid him at all costs and go through an actual gym that has real trainers - we have quite a few gyms with some excellent trainers that work there - people who really do know what they are doing and talking about!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.