Question for P90Xers

KissedbySunshine

Hey,

Just a quick question. Im thinking about starting P90X (as far as I know, I have already started it. Did Shoulders & Arms, and a Leg work out). So my questions are

1. I looked at the Legs and Back w/o which is done throughout the whole 90 days. Can I substitute Cathe's Leg and Glutes instead? Maybe its because Im working my whole leg and not just my booty, but I find Butts and Guts much more effective. But thats only my Butt and my Gut obviously and my leg consist of more than that so Im thinking Legs and Glutes OR GS Legs maybe and then do a back Work out the next day or sub the GS Back section instead. Longer workout = more calories anyways.

2. I don't have a pull up bar and I don't have resistance bands either. But I do have a weight set. Can I just sub dead rows for all the pull ups overhand and underhand?

3. Like most people Im skipping on the KenpoX, CardioX, and Plyomectics X. I already do Spinning @ least 2-4Xs a week. Plus Im thinking of subing KPC for KenpoX. But Im doing this in stage 1 (basically doing doubles the first phase since I was doing it anyways, and my endurance would go down if I stopped). Good thing?

I think thats it. Im wondering if P90X is a good thing, or if it works because its better than doing nothing @ all. Heavy Weights are heavy weights right? So as long as Im lifting, the program shouldn't matter, I think

Personally I think you should do the Kenpo and Cardio X workouts. I was a very faithful cathe gal AND HAD ALMOST ALL OF HER DVD'S. Once I started P90X I found that my body changed for the better as did my flexibilty and endurance. I was afraid at first at the thought of not lifting heavy weights for lower body work and found that my body responded in positive ways. Better tone and I always had a great soreness, not detrimental , it felt like wow I really did something great for body. I personally am a BIG FAN OF P90X.

p90x

Hi,

I wouldn't sub the workouts. For me, part of doing a new program is the shock that the body gets from doing something totally different. The workouts in p90x are effective. Maybe you could add the spinning back in and do doubles in phase 2. I know it is hard to change, but change is good.

You do probably need to get some bands or some sort of a pull up bar because IMO that part of the workout is essential to the program. Without the correct back work, and doing all of the pushups, you could end up with a muscular imbalance.

Tracy

1. I think Cathe's Leg and Glutes (did it this morning) is much more intense than any of P90x legs. Butts and Guts as well.

2. Try 1 arm rows, 2 arm rows, pullovers, etc. for the subs.

3. I don't think the Cardio of anything in P90x is that intense. I like the Core session, but don't get much "cardio" out of the cardio sections. Likewise for the plyometrics. Maybe I just love Cathe too much, but IMHO, Tony doesn't come close to the intensity of Cathe.

Hey,

Just a quick question. Im thinking about starting P90X (as far as I know, I have already started it. Did Shoulders & Arms, and a Leg work out). So my questions are

1. I looked at the Legs and Back w/o which is done throughout the whole 90 days. Can I substitute Cathe's Leg and Glutes instead? Maybe its because Im working my whole leg and not just my booty, but I find Butts and Guts much more effective. But thats only my Butt and my Gut obviously and my leg consist of more than that so Im thinking Legs and Glutes OR GS Legs maybe and then do a back Work out the next day or sub the GS Back section instead. Longer workout = more calories anyways.

2. I don't have a pull up bar and I don't have resistance bands either. But I do have a weight set. Can I just sub dead rows for all the pull ups overhand and underhand?

3. Like most people Im skipping on the KenpoX, CardioX, and Plyomectics X. I already do Spinning @ least 2-4Xs a week. Plus Im thinking of subing KPC for KenpoX. But Im doing this in stage 1 (basically doing doubles the first phase since I was doing it anyways, and my endurance would go down if I stopped). Good thing?

I think thats it. Im wondering if P90X is a good thing, or if it works because its better than doing nothing @ all. Heavy Weights are heavy weights right? So as long as Im lifting, the program shouldn't matter, I think

I disagree about the Cardio not being intense enough, I think you have to put more energy into Tony's workouts and think about what you are doing, use your body as well as your mind. In my opinion Kenpo rates higher he KPC or 4DS. I have had better results following Tony than I did with Cathe. I love Cathe don't get me wrong, but I believe Tony is Fantastic and deserves his applause.

I am in the middle of P90X, week seven to be exact. I have only substituted on the Yoga X days, well I do as much as I can take then do a little something else for my sanity's sake. I have seen major gains in my strength/stamina during the past weeks. I would stick with the program. I would recommend bands to substitute the pull ups...there are sooo many, a feature of Tony's workouts. The Leg workout will definitely burn you, in a good way of course.
I am so ready to start STS. Just to see how my body responds to that!

I wasn't totally enthused with the cardio or leg workout in P90X, but after last week doing the leg/back workout twice, I have to give Tony his props. I was sore for a good 2-3 days after the workout. As far as the cardio was concerned, I never got a good sweat so I felt like I wasn't working as hard, but I think I may give the program another try. I never really followed the program completely, I just used the weight lifting combined with cardio from Cathe. Hey, BTW did anyone get any good results from the diet?

I know!! I am so used to KM, KPC, well you know Cathe's cardios, that I easily get frustrated with the cardio, or lack thereof, as I have said on previous posts. But I think it is more about getting 'ripped' or the weights, not the cardio.
I didn't do the diet. I am a mom of three and I teach dance and a boot camp class at night...Couldn't swing that, I have to start cooking right when I get them home from school so I can feed my kids a balanced meal before I leave for work. I looked at the meal plan, I just count calories, and have had to increase my intake while doing the program.

Thanks everyone!

I kinda agree that I should accept the program for what it is. BUT when I think about the cardio factor, Im detered. The cardio doesn't cut it in P90X and to stop for 4 weeks in cardio is 4 weeks endurance lost. It only takes 2 weeks of doing stopping cardio for endurance to decline. So I think Im going to keep spinning and stepping

As for the bands, they woudn't work in my house. The door frames in my house aren't study enough to handle my weight. Plus I can already touch them just standing up, so there's really no such thing as a chair method. Plus because everything is so low in the house, well apartment, it makes the band exercises kinda pointless. I'd almost never get a back workout. So I think Im going to go with the deadrow. Well actually, Im putting P90X on my mp3 player and taking it to the gym. Still can't do a pull up (and we don't have an assist machine), so I might just do lat pulldowns for a sub. Sam motion and most likely same weight I would use assisted.

Like I said, I want to follow up but I know with things like Kenpo, I had to push myself mentally hard to care about it which just makes me lose motivation. So again maybe KPC which was suggested.

Believe me, Im not all over Cathe and the program (no offense). I do think she's a wonderful instructor and definately sets the standard in high intensity exercise. But I use her more as a sub, like if I can't get to a spin class, or if I can't run that day for whatever reason. OR if Im bored with Kenpo. Something like that.

I'll definately give Back and Legs another try again. Question to NSPIRE, why do you do Legs and Back 2xs in one week?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.