Question for all you Long Distance Runners

TXGin

Cathlete
I am training to run a half marathon that will take place on Feb. 28. I have run 3 marathons and 4 half marathons, but that has been 4-8 years ago when I was running 6 days a week, not to mention I was younger!! The last 2 times I tried to train for a half, I became injured and then was out for several weeks. I do not want to go through that again.
I am currently running 3 times a week. M and F I do 3 miles and Sat a longer run/walk. Yesterday was 6 miles. We ran 2 1/2 min. and walked 2 min. We will probably slowly decrease the amount of time we walk.
My question....should I be running more during the week or longer distance than 3 miles? Any other advice?

TIA!
Gin:)

Hi Gin! Just finished my fourth marathon 2 weeks ago and LOVE distance running. There's no better high then crossing that finish line after a long race IMHO:D anyway, as you get closer to your race date it would be a good idea to pick up the mileage and increase the distance of your long run. There are great training guidelines to give you specifics at www.halhigdon.com (my favorite) or a www.runnersworld.com, or www.coolrunning.com. They all have fabulous training plans for any length of race. Best of luck to you. If you train smart you shouldn't have to worry about injuring yourself again. Have fun!!!!!

Forgot to add that I am 51 yrs old so I am very aware of injury prevention... listen to your body. Encorporate stretching/foam rolling, etc into your routine and you'll do fine!

Last edited:
Hi Gin!
I think your program looks fine! The only suggestion I'd have is maybe run mid week instead of Fri/Sat. Maybe try Mon/Wed/Sat or Mon/Thurs/Sat so you have a day of rest before your long run on the weekend. I think spacing them out a bit more will allow for some recovery.

I also think 3-4 miles during the week (plus your long run on the weekend is fine for a half). Good luck, please let us know how you do! :)

Kathy G

Hi Gin,

I am currently training for my first 1/2 marathon that will take place on December 21. I'm running 3 days a week on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Sunday is my long run, Wednesdays I do 4-5 miles and Friday 3 miles. My long run started at 7 miles and I just kept working my way up. I did 11 miles this afternoon.

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll do great! You have WAY more experience than I do. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.