question about timing for interval run

Michele S

Cathlete
I'm hoping someone sees this soon because I'm doing this for the January rotation in about an hour!

When doing your "own" interval workout, what kind of timing do you use for the aerobic, anaerobic and then recovery phases? If I'm doing intervals in five-minute increments, how much time should be given to each phase?

TIA!!!

I don't know if this will help but when I do intervals in lets say a 5 mile run. I warm-up jogging for the 1st 10-12 mins, then I sprint for 60 secs, then recover 2 min 30 secs by jogging, then repeat that for a few more intervals, then jog for the last 5 mins of the 5 mile run...:)

I've seen the 1:2 ratio in a few sources (don't remember). So, if you sprint for 30 seconds, recovery should be 1 minute, etc.

Of course, you'll need a longer recovery if you're just starting out, but that 1:2 is the goal. The more fit you are, the less recovery you'll need. This ratio works well for me.

The point is that you shouldn't be REALLY recovering - just enough to catch your breath and muster up enough energy for your next sprint.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.