Question about balance beams

kristan

Cathlete
I know some of you here know a little about gymnastics. Here is my question: I want to buy a "low" (on the ground) balance beam for the kids for Christmas. They are 6, 4 and 1. We'd keep it in our carpeted rec room in the basement. There is a very good chance that the 6 and 4 year old would be down there without me. I am leaning toward a 9 foot folding foam beam. Here is the link:

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/gymnastics/beams/practice-beam.html

Any thoughts? It's probably not as 'fun' as a higher beam, but I am thinking it would be hard for them to injure themselves on 7 inches of foam.

Kristan

Well, I'm probably paranoid, but you know, my daughter could find a way to injure herself in a padded room. I just see slipping and ankles twisting or falling and hitting heads. I wouldn't get one unless I could supervise the kids at all times. But that's just me. Like I said, I'm paranoid.:)

Kristan,

As a former preschool gynmastics instructor, I think your choice of beam is excellent for the ages of children you have listed. The firm foam is a great choice considering that the children may have access to it without constant supervision. And they do not need "height" in a beam to reap the balance training benefits or have fun.

HTH
:)

ETA: I would keep it out of access when you are not supervising them.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.