Q for haircolor experts

kristen

Cathlete
Hi, I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion for me. I color my hair at home, and the best color for me so far has been "lightest" brown, since regular light brown actually looks pretty dark on me. Dark ash blonde is really too light and shows my roots in three weeks. However, I can't find the "lightest" shade also in "ash"--the closest I can get is "lightest natural/neutral brown," and that does tend to go brassy on me since my hair has a lot of red naturally.

Any ideas? Would it make any sense to buy a box of the color I've been buying plus a bottle of light ash brown or dark ash blonde and mix together half of each bottle? Or is there a drabber I can buy (seems like I've heard of those somewhere) and add to the color while I'm coloring?

Thanks for any help you can provide! Kristen

I go to the beauty supply stores and but the coloring supplies separately. I don't have a standard color either so actually mix two together and it works well for me. (Then it is just the greys that show through !x( )

I use a salon style cream color and mix with the cream developer. They are usually more than happy to help you out if you can find one who knows a bit about their products.

Hi Kristen,
The best thing to do is to go to a beauty supply store like Sally's Beauty Supply and ask the people working there what to use. Without seeing your hair, (I'm a liscensed hairdresser) I think it would be best to mix the two shades together and make sure that one of them has an ash tone. I know you can definatlly find a lighter ash color at Sally's. Hope this helps. By the way I think Kristen is quite a lovely name if I don't say so myself. LOL!!

Kristin (with an "in") ;-)

Thank you both for the help! I'm going to Sally's tomorrow. I've just suddenly been hearing about them everywhere, and everything I've heard is good. Nice to have the same feedback from people on this forum.

KristIn, I have a good friend who spells "our" name the way you do and I love both spellings!

Yea, I was really carrying on about Sally's and still am. I used to go to a pricey salon and spend a fortune on a cut and color. I'm a "red"head and the color always went from Hyper-vibrant to just right to "You're hair is RED?" within about ten days. Drove me up the wall because I was paying so much. So I found a great stylist at Saturdays who gave me a great cut for $17 and got awesome color advice from a guy at Sally's. He gave me instructions on how I could get that red to REALLY stick by using a method involving a shower cap, a blow dryer on low heat (to open up the hair strands and really get that color stuck in there), and scrunching up the hair ("to increase oxidation"... I don't know, either but it worked). All these years I struggled to keep my color fresh, afraid to wash it (not good when you do a lot of Cardio Coach). The color is really sticking now my friends say my color looks fresher than ever. All it took was a few easy-to-use supplies and a chat with a guy from Sally's. And everyone's right about mixing colors (though I'd ask someone there about mixing different colors from different brands if you want to do that. I think I'd stay within a brand for best results). I'm going to mix several shades next time. Also, you can get different results playing with the developer volume levels. I use 10 volume but if you wanted to take it lighter (i.e. more lift) you can use 20 volume developer. If you don't understand they'll be happy to clue you in at Sally's. They love talking about the science of color but bring a notepad and a pen so you don't forget what they tell you.

Kristen,

I'm in the process of learning how to color my own hair. From my experience, the employees at Sallys didn't know enough about hair color to guide me in the right direction. Lately, I've been reading the Killerstrands blog. I highly recommend reading through the blog, even if it takes a couple of weeks. It's packed with a lot of good information.
http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/

You can also purchase professional hair coloring products from her too. The brands she sells are the same exact brands my very expensive salon uses. There are also recommendations for products that Sallys sells.

Wendy

OK Kristen and Kristin - my DD is Kristin - her grandparents were of Swedish decent. (LOL that her father was adopted so she has not a lick of Swede in her!)

I, of course, absolutely love love love your name ladies ! :7

You guys are great! Thank you! I'm going to check out killerstrands.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.